Galil Assault Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galil Assault Rifle

The Galil is one of the standard assault rifles used by the Israel Defense Forces. It uses U.S. NATO 5.56mm ammunition, like an M-16, but uses the more reliable and easier to manufacture action of the Russian AK-47. The Galil was intended as a replacement to the aging FN FAL rifle, which often performed poorly in the dusty Middle Eastern conditions.

The Galil project began after the Six-Day War, and the design was selected by the IDF from two competing designs. The winner was based on the Finnish Rk 62 (a variant of the AK-47). The first rifles began to arrive in 1974, after the Yom Kippur War. One of its aims was to replace the first M-16 (Vietnam surplus) which had been rushed to Israel during that war. The surplus M-16's had severe reliability problems, and were regarded solely as provisional weapons until the Galil could be issued. The Galil was used by infantry during the Lebanon War in 1982; but towards the mid-1980s, it was determined to be less than optimal.

The Galil's main problem is weight: it is much heavier than the M-16, at around 3.9 kg empty (w/o ammunition), and therefore often considered to be less convenient as personal weapon for infantrymen; fighting infantry units therefore were reissued M-16's (new or upgraded to improve reliability and reduce weight), although the Galil's compactness resulted in it remaining a personal weapon for soldiers in armor and artillery units.

Although designed as a serious infantry weapon, one could also claim the Galil boasts many unusual features to make it more amenable to a citizen-militia. The Galil includes a folding stock and bipod, tritium illuminated night sights, and an integrated bottle-opener to avoid damage to the rifle through a previously common misuse of weapons to open beverage bottles.

A derivative has been produced, the Galil Micro, which retains the internal features with a completely new frame and a much shorter barrel. It has been reported that this weapon is subject to severe overheating, becoming too hot to touch after automatic fire. A redesigned version is now in service with Israeli special forces in undercover operations, small enough to conceal under a jacket, yet extremely powerful.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Ironman, it is my understanding that the one of the main reasons that made the Galil unpopular with Israeli troops was its rear sight, which was mounted on the receiver cover which had a tendency to go off of zero ever time the weapon was fired.
    Ain't No Rocket Scientists In The Firehall

Comment

That's a good reason for the rifle to remian unpopular.

Comment

Besides the fact that the Galil Assualt Rifle is downright ugly...that skinny barrel looks like it could be damaged easily, especially if it's really hot.

And it looks like it shoots tiny bullets. Just an automatic BB Gun?

Gimme a semi auto Galil Rifle over that anyday.

Comment

I heard, one of the main complaints?, that it's too heavy for the caliber it's chambered for.

Comment

IIRC there were both several barel lengths for the Galil, and more then one barrel thickness. Also as a derivitaive of the AK its quite heavy by modern assault rifle standards. Hardly a "BB gun"

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I happen to think it is quite a handsome weapon

Originally posted by Lunatock
            Besides the fact that the Galil Assualt Rifle is downright ugly...that skinny barrel looks like it could be damaged easily, especially if it's really hot.

And it looks like it shoots tiny bullets. Just an automatic BB Gun?

Gimme a semi auto Galil Rifle over that anyday.
            Ain't No Rocket Scientists In The Firehall

Comment

Besides the fact that the Galil Assualt Rifle is downright ugly...
              I would rather have an ugly gun that works over a pretty gun that doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63
                I would rather have an ugly gun that works over a pretty gun that doesn't.
                Ugly gun that works? Like say..choosing a Kalishnakov over and Armalite 15 or a Colt 45 1911?

Comment

Exactly, I would rather have an AK over an AR15/M16.

Comment

And then a highly trained US soldier with an M16 knocks you out at 500 meters.

Comment

But first he would have to fix his gun because it jammed, in that time i close the distance to 200 meters and make mince meat out of him :D

Comment

But first he would have to fix his gun because it jammed, in that time i close the distance to 200 meters and make mince meat out of him :D
                        200 meters? Your still 100 meters out of your favorite guns accuracy range. And a D-Boy or Ranger is more dangerous with a straw & a toothpick that far away.

Comment

Thing is, I've heard that the AK-74 (not the -47) Is supposedly much more accurate than the AK-47 and still has its durability. That said, I still want mt M16A2/M203 combo...
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

200 meters? Your still 100 meters out of your favorite guns accuracy range. And a D-Boy or Ranger is more dangerous with a straw & a toothpick that far away.
                            The effective range of the Kalashnikov is 800 meters.
                            What makes you think that the 7.62x39 is only effective at 100 meters?
                            The 7.92x33 Kurz of the StGW 44 was effective at 400 meters, meaning that the round was still lethal and that accuracy was acceptable at that range.

The reason why you would be more likely to kill someone 300 meters away with an M16 rather than an AK is because the M16 has a dioptrical sight, while the AK has a more crude sight.
                            Put a Kobra onto an AK and an average soldier will hit a target 300 meters away with no problems.

Comment

The effective range of the Kalashnikov is 800 meters.
                              What makes you think that the 7.62x39 is only effective at 100 meters?
                              The 7.92x33 Kurz of the StGW 44 was effective at 400 meters, meaning that the round was still lethal and that accuracy was acceptable at that range.

The reason why you would be more likely to kill someone 300 meters away with an M16 rather than an AK is because the M16 has a dioptrical sight, while the AK has a more crude sight.
                              Put a Kobra onto an AK and an average soldier will hit a target 300 meters away with no problems.
                              :LOL Somehow I doubt that. Next you'll be saying it can take out a target at a much further range than an M1 Abrams. But at the lofty claim of 800 meters you probably already have...

And yes, it's the sight problem. Not the fact that American Soldiers trained to use the M16 can sit on a paint mixer and outshoot Russians soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                              X