PDA

View Full Version : Favorite War Movies?

Ironduke
19 Jan 04,, 03:48
My all time favorites:

Platoon, Zulu, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates.

Lunatock
19 Jan 04,, 06:28
Enemy At the Gates, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, The Lost Battalion.

Ironduke
19 Jan 04,, 06:43
Hmm.... I don't think I've seen the Lost Battalion? When was it produced, and what war is it about?

naocman
19 Jan 04,, 09:53
Well, obviously I enjoyed all of the ones previously stated, although IMHO, Enemy at the Gates was a little overdone at times, it was still a very good movie. I'd like to add Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers, Das Boot, and, oh, what the hell...I'll throw in a classic..either Midway or the Longest Day. Also, I just went and saw Cold Mountain tonight...very well done film...although its not really a war film, it has some spots that I feel captures the essence of the Civil War very well.

Lunatock
19 Jan 04,, 16:11
The Lost Battalion was an A & E Movie. Think it was first aired in 2002. It's about WW1.

I'd also like to mention part of one. The Hunted, staring Tommy Lee Jones & Benecio Del Toro.

The beginning of the movie, with the Spec Ops group on a mission to kill a Serb Commander in the middle of an Albanian village being slaughtered.

Best part of the film. Despite most of what was happening.

Stinger
19 Jan 04,, 17:02
In Harms Way, Gods and Generals, Gettysburg(the Killer Angels).

Praxus
19 Jan 04,, 17:35
They should just call God's and General, Shitty Movie. That movie was a bomb, it was 3 hours of praying to God and people trying to make profound speeches.

Gettysburg was good though.

smilingassassin
19 Jan 04,, 17:52
Saving Private Ryan for its realism and riviting story line, The Thin Red Line for its portrayal of the charactors feelings, and Black Hawk Down because ..hey it was awesome!

Ironduke
19 Jan 04,, 19:17
Anybody here ever seen Hamburger Hill?

bigross86
19 Jan 04,, 19:44
I liked Windtalkers. I also love Hunt for Red October, but I don't know if that qualifies as a war movie. Behind Enemy lines is also ok, even though it features the plastic bug.

:taynk :zf14 :taynk :zf14 :taynk :zf14 :taynk :zf14 :taynk :zf14 :taynk :zf14 :taynk :zf14

Stinger
19 Jan 04,, 21:03
Originally posted by Praxus
They should just call God's and General, Shitty Movie. That movie was a bomb, it was 3 hours of praying to God and people trying to make profound speeches.

Gettysburg was good though. different people different tastes i suppose. I enjoyed it because the actor (stephen Lang?)nailed a lot of Gen Jacksons characteristics, I also thought Duvall portrayed a much better Lee.

Confed999
19 Jan 04,, 23:41
I liked that movie "The Big Red One". It was a bit cheap, and the special effects weren't great, but there were some great lines in that flick. My fav has to be when they come to shore on the beach guarded by French troops kept in check by a few Vichy. The French tried to surrender but were told something like, "We don't accept your surrender. If you are Vichy, fight us.... If you are French men join us."

smilingassassin
20 Jan 04,, 08:20
I've seen Hamburger Hill...it was a very good movie....I haven't watched it again though in ages...I'll have to look for it!

TopHatter
22 Jan 04,, 01:25
Saving Private Ryan, The Beast, Conspiracy (although it was more of a Holocaust movie), Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, Das Boot, Black Hawk Down...geez, did I miss any?

ChrisF202
24 Jan 04,, 03:22
I have to agree with the comments on "Gods and Generals", my dad actually liked it :O, I hated it for teh above reasons as well, plus the battle scences took the look of a re-enactment, not like Gettysburg. "Hambburger Hill" was a bit gross (too much sex and the part when the VC officer's head exploded like a melon). "The Big Red One" is one of my favorites, I like the part where they attack the German SPG, "Zulu", "Saving Private Ryan", "We Were Soldiers" and "The Longest Day" are also pretty good.

Bill
26 Jan 04,, 17:47
The Beast is a GREAT movie.

Big Red One didn't have 'bad' effects, it's just really old.

That's a great movie too.

Bill
26 Jan 04,, 17:47
PS....enemy at the gates SUCKED. :(

Confed999
28 Jan 04,, 00:06
Originally posted by M21Sniper
Big Red One didn't have 'bad' effects, it's just really old.
It was considered a "B" movie and the effects weren't bad, but they weren't great. ;) I'd really like to see what they could have done with a major budget.

Praxus
28 Jan 04,, 00:48
I hate how they try and turn these war movies in Chick Flicks, such as Pearl Harbour and Enemy at the Gates.

Bill
28 Jan 04,, 03:22
"It was considered a "B" movie and the effects weren't bad, but they weren't great. ;) I'd really like to see what they could have done with a major budget."

Big Red One had two major stars in it.

I'm not sure you could consider it a "B" movie.

Confed999
28 Jan 04,, 04:39
Originally posted by M21Sniper
Big Red One had two major stars in it.

I'm not sure you could consider it a "B" movie.

The Big Red One is a low budget movie, made by the famous "B" movie writer/producer Sam Fuller. To the best of my knowledge the low budget part makes it a "B", not so much the actors, writer or producer. (Take the Jay and Silent Bob movie, no budget but a boat load of stars, would you call it an "A" movie?) From what I've read the budget was supposed to be much higher and the movie around 4 hours long! If there is ever a 4 hour director's cut, I'll be one of the first in line to get it.

BTW, I like the Jay and Silent Bob movie too. :dbanana

tomas
28 Jan 04,, 16:00
saving private ryan and black hawk down were the best i've seen with 'the green berets' in close second

The Chap
27 Aug 04,, 06:59
The Beast! V. difficult to get for ages after 9/11. Das Boot (series +film). Cross of Iron, Stalingrad (for those who don't like Enemy at the Gate), Patton, The Hill, The Lost Platoon :redface: (I think: The one with Anthony Quin in French Algeria), Ice Cold in Alex, Appocalypse Now, The Longest Day, In Which We Serve, Dam Busters (almost certainly edited for the fact the dog in it was called "******"), Where Eagles Dare, Black Hawk Down, The Duelists, Night of the Generals (or is that a thriller?), Waterloo, Starship Troopers, A Bridge too Far, Tora,Tora,Tora, Kelly's Heroes (you know you love it), Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Bridge over the River Kwai, The Great Escape, The Hunt for Red October, 28 days,
Kenneth Brannaghs Henry V and ZULU. And Dune. Yes it IS a war flick. :tongue:
And so is Dr. Strangelove. :biggrin:

I'll shut up now. Sorry. And Thin Red Line was heartbreaking. Poor sod.

The Chap
27 Aug 04,, 07:06
The Big Red One is a low budget movie, made by the famous "B" movie writer/producer Sam Fuller. To the best of my knowledge the low budget part makes it a "B", not so much the actors, writer or producer. (Take the Jay and Silent Bob movie, no budget but a boat load of stars, would you call it an "A" movie?) From what I've read the budget was supposed to be much higher and the movie around 4 hours long! If there is ever a 4 hour director's cut, I'll be one of the first in line to get it.

BTW, I like the Jay and Silent Bob movie too. :dbanana

AHHHHH but there almost is. Get the collectors edition. Tonnes of cuts availible to view, great comentary and actually worth the extra cash.

TopHatter
27 Aug 04,, 14:58
The Beast! V. difficult to get for ages after 9/11. .

I had ordered the DVD before 9-11. I always thought it a was a great movie, whatever faults it had. I love the music at the end and during the credits. Very sad and haunting.

Ray
27 Aug 04,, 21:39
Many.

But I found' A FEW GOOD MEN' most disturbing in some ways and yet, it portrayed the turmoil in the military mind!

lenovo
08 Sep 04,, 14:03
my favo is:
saving private Ryan & black hawk down

visioninthedark
09 Sep 04,, 00:44
Classics like;

The Guns of Navarone

and

The Great Escape

:)

AussieSoldier
09 Sep 04,, 03:46
Without a doubt, an Australian movie called Odd Angry Shot, a story about the Australian Special Air Service in Vietnam, it is hilarious in the way it shows comaraderie, relations with the Americans and every day life in the field, it also details the horrors of war and the reality of it all.

Semper Fi
09 Sep 04,, 04:08
I love the smell napalm in the morning it has to be Apocalypse Now.

AussieSoldier
09 Sep 04,, 05:22
I love the smell napalm in the morning it has to be Apocalypse Now.

I would have to agree that there are some scenes in that movie that are fucken outstanding but for the most part, it is fucken boring. Watch the odd angry shot and get back to me.

Charlie don't surf

OUT

The Chap
09 Sep 04,, 10:48
I would have to agree that there are some scenes in that movie that are fucken outstanding but for the most part, it is fucken boring. Watch the odd angry shot and get back to me.

Charlie don't surf

OUT

Charlie don't have much of an attention span either :tongue: Or a DVD. A little rat meat and rice was his idea of R&R. :tongue: :)

griftadan
09 Sep 04,, 23:57
apocalypse now

mostlymad
12 Sep 04,, 03:01
Anybody here ever seen Hamburger Hill?

Yes, it's one of my favourites. Devastating. My two top ones however are The Beast and Thin Red Line. I like war movies that show the tragedy and humanity and inhumanity of all sides.

Not really a war movies, but El Salvador and The Killing Fields are quite good, in my opinion.

roshan
12 Sep 04,, 07:24
Saving Private Ryan and Border!

ChrisF202
12 Sep 04,, 15:49
Saving Private Ryan and Border!
Border? Whats that about?

Semper Fi
12 Sep 04,, 18:38
I forgot to mention Das Boot it has a very powerful ending.

AussieSoldier
12 Sep 04,, 23:53
I forgot to mention Das Boot it has a very powerful ending.

I hate sub titles

Ziska
13 Sep 04,, 05:46
Zulu

Best singing in a war movie.

Amled
13 Sep 04,, 14:22
Battling Bastards of Bastogne.
A "B" movie, yes.
But a good one about the 101st., Airborne during the Battle of the Bulge.
By the way, this being my first posting, pleased to meet you all!

Asim Aquil
17 Sep 04,, 11:05
Starship Troopers

Asim Aquil
17 Sep 04,, 11:06
Wait, u know I liked Signs. I know u'd say its not a war movie, but they showed exactly what a population would feel, when an invasion force is headed their way.

logic
18 Sep 04,, 14:31
Dr. Strangeglove and Catch-22 for the irony of war. For the Gritty Reality of Basic Training it's hard to beat Full Metal Jacket. For the way it was, Platoon.