Which regiment should i join?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which regiment should i join?

I am having alot of difficulty making my mind up as to what regiment i want to join. I have alreay made my mind up a long time ago that i want to go armoured. But i cant seem to make my mind up if i want to go with the Royal Canadian Dragoons in pet, or the Lord Strathcona Horse in wainright, alberta.

A big part of me wants to go with the RCD because the majority of my family is in eastern ontario and southern quebec, and all of my friends are in ontario. Plus my best friend is already with 2 RCR in Petewawa.

But another part of me wants to go to wainright, because, well, part of the reasoning for me wanting to join the military is adventure, and seeing things, going to places, that i have never done or been to before.
    I have grown up in southern and eastern ontario, ive seen basically all there is to see here, ive never been out west before. But i dont know anyone in alberta. I have some friends and an uncle in BC. I dont know i guess im just afraid of going into the unkown out there.

Another reasoning is that im not sure if i will like recee with the Dragoons, the strathcona's as you already know have the leo's. I have always wanted to be with the leo's since i was a little boy in Petewawa.

I guess i just need some guidance

Get through recruit course 1st, then decide. You might decide you like engineers.

In all seriousness, there would be heavy competition for the LdSH (RC). You might not be able to get in since it is the only tank regt left and even then, we went from 4 to 2 sqns.

Comment

yeah true.

Comment

if you just want to look around and live well, Western Canada (Alberta, BC) is way better than the east. I know nothing about CF though.
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Get into army aviation (if you guys have that). You will get to meet many bigwigs whom you may have to ferry around, and knowing such people can to wonders to your carrier.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Army Aviation belongs to the Air Force branch.

Comment

Interesting times...

OoE is right, maybe you should think about Engineers. Engineers never lack for interesting tasks even in peacetime. You'll never want for a challenge.
              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I've been trying to make the same decision too, since the Army Reserve here ecnourages you to work out what units you're interested in before joining (since they're regionally based). I've settled for either of the Infantry Battalions in Victoria (5/6 or 8/7 RVR) or more likely 4/19 Prince Of Wales Light Horse, according to my recruiter they're looking for cavalry scouts which would suit me fine. I had considered Military Police, but seeing as how a family friend is a Captain in the Company based in Victoria, I decided it wasn't a prudent idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                  I am having alot of difficulty making my mind up as to what regiment i want to join. I have alreay made my mind up a long time ago that i want to go armoured. But i cant seem to make my mind up if i want to go with the Royal Canadian Dragoons in pet, or the Lord Strathcona Horse in wainright, alberta.

A big part of me wants to go with the RCD because the majority of my family is in eastern ontario and southern quebec, and all of my friends are in ontario. Plus my best friend is already with 2 RCR in Petewawa.

But another part of me wants to go to wainright, because, well, part of the reasoning for me wanting to join the military is adventure, and seeing things, going to places, that i have never done or been to before.
                  I have grown up in southern and eastern ontario, ive seen basically all there is to see here, ive never been out west before. But i dont know anyone in alberta. I have some friends and an uncle in BC. I dont know i guess im just afraid of going into the unkown out there.

Another reasoning is that im not sure if i will like recee with the Dragoons, the strathcona's as you already know have the leo's. I have always wanted to be with the leo's since i was a little boy in Petewawa.

I guess i just need some guidance

I did my basic training at Wainwright. Dude it's a major **** hole and the town sucks ass too not to mention all the rednecks who hate you and want to beat you down if you get caught alone. I think they hate losing their girlfriends every summer.

It was a great training base but god forbid actually being stationed there. Why can't they re-open Chilliwack, we need more army out west anyway.

Go armoured recce, I was in the British Columbia Regiment (reserves) and it was a good mix of driving and walking. Good luck though man.
                  Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 13 Sep 06,, 13:28.
                  Originally posted by GVChamp
                  College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

go Signals.

a politician can make any man a General, but only a signaller can make him a commander.

it can be ****, stagging on and putting up with idiots who think you are there to answer the phone occasionally but mainly to make brews and sort out their admin, but usually its not, you are doing something even without an OP to go on, and on OP's you get to hang around the headshed - which can genuinely do wonders for your career - as well as actually being interesting.

once you get out of an HQ job it just gets better, R Sigs in the BA have attachments to the intelligence services, a big gang (and i mean hundreds)serves at GCHQ with its attendant civvy lifestyle, jobs at embassies, both boring - like Paris or Washington - or more, err... interesting like Tashkent, Brazzaville and Tehran, and should you hanker after some action on the ground, lots of Sigs boys are imbedded within Infantry platoons living in little villages in Helmand and using vast quantities of 5.56 keeping the locals away from their undercarridge.

Engineers are alright - if you like digging holes.

infantry. ****. should of worked harder at school. can you imagine your CV at 30? "Dear Sir, I can work a mortar..." bloody hard work, fecking dangerous and the pay is ****.

the less said about the embezzlers and sex-offenders otherwise known as the cavalry the better.

no offence ...
                    before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
                      I did my basic training at Wainwright. Dude it's a major **** hole and the town sucks ass too not to mention all the rednecks who hate you and want to beat you down if you get caught alone. I think they hate losing their girlfriends every summer.
                      LOL sounds like meaford. My buddy did his SQ at meaford, he still has nightmares of that place.

Comment

the less said about the embezzlers and sex-offenders otherwise known as the cavalry the better.

no offence ...
                        We'll see. Embezzlement is tempting though...

Comment

You know why we know? Because you zipperheads suck at it.

Comment

LOL sounds like meaford. My buddy did his SQ at meaford, he still has nightmares of that place.
                            Most of the Praries are meant to be driven through at high speed on your way somewhere else.......
                            Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 14 Sep 06,, 15:20.
                            Originally posted by GVChamp
                            College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Go RCD.
                              ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X