PDA

View Full Version : Survey: US image deteriorates in Asia

santosh tiwari
10 Sep 06,, 16:51
The image of the United States has deteriorated across Asia in recent years, particularly in countries with large Muslim populations, according to a survey published in a Japanese newspaper Sunday.

The seven-nation survey, jointly conducted by the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, the Korea Times and the Gallup group, showed the proportion of respondents with a positive view of the U.S. image dropped in all countries from the last poll in 1995.

Positive views about the U.S. outnumbered negative ones overall, but more people said their opinion of the United States had diminished, the Yomiuri said.

"The proportion of respondents who said their perception of the United States was good slipped, and those giving negative responses increased in most of the countries compared with the results of a 1995 survey," the newspaper said.

The seven countries surveyed were Japan, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam.

The survey did not ask respondents why their views of the U.S. had diminished.

The rise of anti-U.S. sentiment was most evident in predominantly Muslim Malaysia, where respondents with negative views of the U.S. surged 30 percentage points to 41 percent.

In Indonesia, the world's most populous Islamic nation, the percentage of negative responses jumped 16 points to 40 percent.

In South Korea, the percentage of negative respondents increased 14 percentage points to 48 percent, while in Japan, a staunch U.S. ally, negative responses rose 7 points to 25 percent.

But in India, where the question was not asked in the 1995 survey, 83 percent said their image of the U.S. was good and only 15 percent said it was bad.

In Thailand, 74 percent of respondents said the U.S. was good, while 88.6 percent of Vietnamese queried gave positive answers. Comparisons to the 1995 survey weren't given for the two Southeast Asian nations.

More than 1,000 people were interviewed in June and July in each of the seven countries. No margin of error was provided.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/10/asia/AS_GEN_Asia_US_Image_Survey.php

Bill
10 Sep 06,, 17:10
"while 88.6 percent of Vietnamese queried gave positive answers".

Hmmmm. Go figure. I guess people do forgive you for napalming their kids and torching their farms afterall.

There is a lesson there that applies to the GWoT, i am sure...

HistoricalDavid
10 Sep 06,, 17:32
[B]There is a lesson there that applies to the GWoT, i am sure...

After you've finished destroying half the country and have withdrawn, pour massive investment into it. Apart from the poll being severely biased, I can't think of any other explanation.

88.6%...

Semper Fi
10 Sep 06,, 18:55
I wonder what the image of Muslim countries is in the US?:rolleyes:

astralis
10 Sep 06,, 20:05
m21,

Hmmmm. Go figure. I guess people do forgive you for napalming their kids and torching their farms afterall.

There is a lesson there that applies to the GWoT, i am sure...

then again...the vietnamese won that one. ;) not quite sure if you want the US to withdraw from iraq, in the hopes that investment + 30 years down the line of crappy iraqi rule will make them happier towards the US :)

Ray
10 Sep 06,, 20:38
I don't think that the US could be bothered as to what their image is in Asia.

They would only be bothered if the $ does not function there.

Last report states the $ is doing fine! :)

As far as Moslem countries go, their govts kowtow before Bush. Ask Musharraf, the King of Saudi Arabia, the King Of Jordan, the PM of Iraq, etc etc.

So surveys can be damned.

smilingassassin
11 Sep 06,, 01:22

Thats a VERY interesting point Semper, I'd love to see that servey's results dished out in the muslim country's, oh thats right it won't be!! Everythings rosey!!!

lemontree
11 Sep 06,, 04:51
The image of the United States has deteriorated across Asia in recent years, particularly in countries with large Muslim populations, according to a survey published in a Japanese newspaper Sunday....
That's hypocrisy, since most of those polled would give an arm or a leg to live in the US of A.

thunderous
11 Sep 06,, 05:43
That's hypocrisy, since most of those polled would give an arm or a leg to live in the US of A.

You are so right sir.

Bill
11 Sep 06,, 08:47
m21,
then again...the vietnamese won that one. ;) not quite sure if you want the US to withdraw from iraq, in the hopes that investment + 30 years down the line of crappy iraqi rule will make them happier towards the US :)
I would say that the Vietnamese people lost that one, to be honest.

Our troops came home, and it was life as usual for most Americans. But for most Vietnamese, under godless communist heathen rule, they have been the biggest losers of all.

What that statistic shows is that even if you pretty much torch a nation to the ground that you can in the span of a few decades have them firmly back in your camp. (Then again, WWII also showed that on a much larger scale).

gunnut
11 Sep 06,, 20:15
Thats a VERY interesting point Semper, I'd love to see that servey's results dished out in the muslim country's, oh thats right it won't be!! Everythings rosey!!!

There was a survey done by CNN/Times I believe, about American's view of muslims or muslim nations. It wasn't pretty.

astralis
11 Sep 06,, 21:21
under godless communist heathen rule,

i've always wondered about this epithet. i've heard it quite a few times before. if a society is godless, how is it also heathen at the same time? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Archer
11 Sep 06,, 21:25
i've always wondered about this epithet. i've heard it quite a few times before. if a society is godless, how is it also heathen at the same time? :biggrin: :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tronic
12 Sep 06,, 00:46
I would say that the Vietnamese people lost that one, to be honest.

Our troops came home, and it was life as usual for most Americans. But for most Vietnamese, under godless communist heathen rule, they have been the biggest losers of all.
but they achieved their main objective... which was to create a godless communist heathen rule...

Archer
12 Sep 06,, 22:28
but they achieved their main objective... which was to create a godless communist heathen rule...

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Ray
13 Sep 06,, 18:53

Visit the thread "Friend or Foe" for a sample!

Bill
13 Sep 06,, 20:36
"They" encompasses the whole of the Vietnamese people.

Therefore, "They" did not accomplish their goal. "They" were subjugated to communist oppression and brutality for many years.

Bill
13 Sep 06,, 20:37
To a Xtian a non-Xtian is a heathen, even if he is godless.