PDA

View Full Version : WAB Announcement: New Admin and vBulletin Upgrade!

Chris
07 Sep 06,, 21:53
I wish to make two announcements -

1) New Administrator at WAB!
I am pleased to announce the appointment of TopHatter as an Administrator here at World Affairs Board (WAB) effective immediately. The administrative duties at WAB continue to grow and with Gio and Iron Duke not being around as much at the present time we need another solid member to add to the administration team.

The entire moderation team are all doing an outstanding job at moderating the board and I don't think much is going to change with TopHatter in this new role apart from him taking on a few extra responsibilities and getting a new colour of title.

2) Upgrade to vBulletin 3.6.0
We have upgraded the vBulletin installation here at WAB to the latest 3.6.0 release which introduces several bug fixes, security updates as well as a few new features as well. E.g. AJAX posting interface, multi-quote etc.

The real benefit of the new version are on the moderation side though with the new infraction system which will allow us to handle warnings and bannings far easier and hopefully lighten the moderation load slightly. Not that we like banning people though. We hope to get this all running over the coming weeks.

I am also hoping that this new version of vBulletin will help to cut down on a lot of spammers / bots that we have had singing up recently.

As a result of this upgrade we have had to remove the "WAB Dark" skin as it is no longer compatible with this version of vBulletin. There wil no doubt be a few other things we need to work out as well.

You can view a full list of all the benefits and new features introduce by this upgrade in the official release announcement for vBulletin 3.6.0 at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194072

Thank you for reading!

- Chris

gunnut
07 Sep 06,, 22:54
Ahhhh!!!! Nooooooo, I like the dark skin :frown:

TopHatter
08 Sep 06,, 02:16
I am pleased to announce the appointment of TopHatter as an Administrator here at World Affairs Board (WAB) effective immediately.

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate it. :)

Julie
08 Sep 06,, 02:18
Free cheetos for everybody now ?? ! :biggrin:

Congrats !

Hey, I have to sign in every time even though I don't sign out when I leave. Where's my cookies?

Confed999
09 Sep 06,, 22:02
Ahhhh!!!! Nooooooo, I like the dark skin :frown:

Me too. Getting a headache... :(

THL
23 Sep 06,, 09:20
Hey I have a question Mr. Hotsy Totsy Admin Guy (directed toward TH, not you Chris :redface: )...

How come we cannot see the list of members?

Not that it is important enough for me to ask that it come back, don't really care myself except that I was looking for some entertainment here at 2:18 this morning (Two more nights then I go back to days next Friday and I will not have to search for fun at all hours of the night for approximately 5-6 weeks).

TopHatter
23 Sep 06,, 09:32
How come we cannot see the list of members?
Well, there are some extremely aggressive e-mail harvester spam bots out there.

And we'd prefer to keep our member's e-mail and other information secret. :)

Ray
23 Sep 06,, 19:59
Must we have to wait a decade before they are declassified?

Can't we use the Right to Information Act? ;) :)

TopHatter
24 Sep 06,, 02:08
Can't we use the Right to Information Act? ;) :)

Nope, because spammers don't have the Right to our Information. :)

Ray
24 Sep 06,, 09:31
Draconian!

Dollar Imperialism.

Capitalist hound!

Hey! why haven't you guys brought the American flag? How can this protest go on without the grand finale of burning the US Flag and why the hell are the rest of the demonstrators knocking off Coca Cola and Big Mac?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you guys!!!!!!

;) ;)

:) :) :)

glyn
24 Sep 06,, 10:02
I also think it is a pity that we can't see who the other members are or the country in which they currently reside. Is it not possible for such limited information to be posted? Remember the Duke of Wellingtons remark "Publish or be damned"!

THL
24 Sep 06,, 10:08
I also think it is a pity that we can't see who the other members are or the country in which they currently reside. Is it not possible for such limited information to be posted? Remember the Duke of Wellingtons remark "Publish or be damned"!

you still can see the information that each member has included in their profile buy clicking on their name in whatever random post they have posted in and then selecting "view public profile". There is just no master list that one can use to obtain everyone's information at one time.

glyn
24 Sep 06,, 11:06
[QUOTE=TopHatsLiberal;270450]you still can see the information that each member has included in their profile buy clicking on their name in whatever random post they have posted in and then selecting "view public profile". There is just no master list that one can use to obtain everyone's information at one time.

[COLOR="Blue"]Thank you, dear heart. I have been ploughing (plowing) through the members introductions listing (and noting that many have left us) but your suggestion is even better. To hear is to obey!/COLOR]

THL
24 Sep 06,, 11:25
Thank you, dear heart. I have been ploughing (plowing) through the members introductions listing (and noting that many have left us) but your suggestion is even better. To hear is to obey!

*gasp* A gentleman who takes what I say and adds the word "obey" to it...I could get used to this!!!

:tongue:

TopHatter
24 Sep 06,, 16:50

Well, the member listing never gave country of origin anyway.
That information (as THL mentioned) has always - and only - been in the Member Profiles.

I agree that the member listing was a very nice thing to have, but it was also nice for spammer's to use. :frown:

Confed999
25 Sep 06,, 20:24
Ummm, you can't actually see the email addresses can you? Never could before...

Neo
25 Sep 06,, 20:31

I'm with you Glyn.
Most fora use flags system.

THL
26 Sep 06,, 15:11
I'm with you Glyn.
Most fora use flags system.

That would be a pretty neat idea (Attn: Powers That Be)...to have the flag from where we reside shown next to our name or in our profile.

Ray
26 Sep 06,, 17:06
That would be a pretty neat idea (Attn: Powers That Be)...to have the flag from where we reside shown next to our name or in our profile.

An interesting idea but the flags should be of a larger size than what I have seen in other forums (fora) because many countries have striped flags of the same colour, but the symbols in the middle are different and that can't be seen and so one does not know to which country the poster belongs.

glyn
26 Sep 06,, 17:18
I am not necessarily in favour of a flag. My original plea was for the limited inclusion of information normally found in a members list to appear by the name or atavar of the writer. This could just be a word, or the initials of the country in which the writer is currently resident. I think more people should consider what information ought to be put into their Profile.

Ray
26 Sep 06,, 17:53
Glyn,

I am not against the Flag. It is a good idea.

I only would prefer a larger size that what we have seen elsewhere. It will help recognition.

glyn
26 Sep 06,, 18:38
[QUOTE=Ray;271803]Glyn,

I am not against the Flag. It is a good idea.

I only would prefer a larger size that what we have seen elsewhere. It will help recognition.

If flags are what the membership want thats fine by me. As long as I can see in either pictorial form or in words where people are, I shall be content. However if I must have a flag, may I have the correct one, that of Cornwall please? I am not English, but Cornish. Cornwall is traditionally one of the five nations making up Britain, even though the Houses of Parliament have been trying to subsume it into England, and write it out of history. OK, I'll get off my hobby horse now................

Parihaka
26 Sep 06,, 18:51
Interestingly enough I got a piece of spam yesterday using the title
" Musharar's magic pill works again" obviously taken from this forum and purporting an @rochen.com return address. My techs dissected it and said it wasn't actually from rochen but somewhere else, you know what pointy heads are like, "file size cache bin blah de blah". Anyways, they're a bit bored and are looking to kill the source.

THL
26 Sep 06,, 18:54
Interestingly enough I got a piece of spam yesterday using the title
" Musharar's magic pill works again" obviously taken from this forum and purporting an @rochen.com return address. My techs dissected it and said it wasn't actually from rochen but somewhere else, you know what pointy heads are like, "file size cache bin blah de blah". Anyways, they're a bit bored and are looking to kill the source.

I have not gottem any spam mail that I can link to the WAB.

EBay - YES!!
Paypal - YES!!
WAB...not yet.:)

TopHatter
26 Sep 06,, 19:02
" Musharar's magic pill works again" obviously taken from this forum and purporting an @rochen.com return address.

Yeah, email spoofing. We get a lot of that here at work with our company domain name.

"Just download this .zip file"

Sure. No problem. :rolleyes: