PDA

View Full Version : What battle do you want to see on film?

TopHatter
06 Sep 06,, 17:34
I don't recall if we've had this topic before, but...

What particular battle would you like to be given the "Saving Private Ryan/Black Hawk Down" treatment?

In other words, a brutally accurate and respectful portrayal, using the best technical and dramatic abilities that Hollywood has to offer.

My choice would be the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, November 13 1942.

"A bar room brawl with the lights shut off"

Lunatock
06 Sep 06,, 18:57

What particular battle would you like to be given the "Saving Private Ryan/Black Hawk Down" treatment?

In other words, a brutally accurate and respectful portrayal, using the best technical and dramatic abilities that Hollywood has to offer.

A remake of the film about a Marine Corps Garrison that was overrun by the IJA, and who refused to abandon their post despite the odds. The film ended with a scene that basically said "there are plenty more where they came from".

I'd also like to see a film portraying the battle of Tora Bora.

dalem
06 Sep 06,, 19:18
Leyte Gulf.

Anything in WWI.

Dunkirk/Fall of France. I think a really good movie could be made showing the oft-neglected early war, maybe following a platoon of BEF as they move from a battle to Dunkirk.

The Iliad. (Don't even bring up that homoerotic puke-fest from last year.)

Revolutionary War. Horse & Musket era, with lines of guys standing and facing other lines of guys, is still spooky-fascinating to me.

-dale

Parihaka
06 Sep 06,, 20:03
Crimea, from Alma heights to the main battle including the Lights, the Heavies and the 'Thin Red Line'.
Other than that, everything Dale said.

Parihaka
06 Sep 06,, 20:05
Oh, and Peter Jackson is remaking "The Dam Busters". Looking forward to it.

cris29
06 Sep 06,, 20:57
There was a rumour spielberg was going to do it. He never mentions britain in his films Saving private ryan. There wasnt a british flag in the cemetery cemmemoration and the way he made montgomery look under par.

Parihaka
06 Sep 06,, 21:07
Jackson's not American. SPV was about the experiences of American soldiers, but it'd be a bit tough making a film about commonwealth pilots in the RAF flying Lancasters and protraying them as American, LOL. My only concern is that I hope like hell he doesn't get Fran Walsh to script it, she totally subverted LOTR, and it'd piss me off if she did the same to the Dam Busters.

gunnut
06 Sep 06,, 21:30
Tawara

Chosin

dalem
06 Sep 06,, 21:31
There was a rumour spielberg was going to do it. He never mentions britain in his films Saving private ryan. There wasnt a british flag in the cemetery cemmemoration and the way he made montgomery look under par.

SPR was about Americans, not the Brits. The cemetary in question is for the American war dead, not the Brits, because you see, there were no Brits at Omaha - they were on Gold and Sword. Monty is mentioned as having failed to get Caen as he had promised.

And Monty was under par, so anything that portrays him as such is accurate.

-dale

Lunatock
06 Sep 06,, 22:47
Thermopalae (sp?) I can spell Molon Labe perfectly. ;)

Semper Fi
06 Sep 06,, 23:19
Cannae

Wouldn't mind seeing that massacre.

TopHatter
06 Sep 06,, 23:35
I forgot one: Taffy 3 at Samar.
Basically just purchase Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors and you've got the script.

Bluesman
07 Sep 06,, 00:03
Saratoga. It only changed the entire world's course of history, is all...and it's NEVER been covered. The characters involved, the drama, the human element...it's a natural.

Trafalgar, for the exact same reasons.

Zama.

HASTINGS. OOOOO, that would be a GOOD'un, man.

My son says, 'Marathon'. Good call.

BOTH of us want Borodino, allll the way to Moscow, then alllll the way back to the Berezina River. Heartbreaking, grim, DRAMATIC.

Quebec. Montcalm AND Wolfe going down at the apex of the battle, and it ends Frenchiness in North America. Mostly. Thank God.

Good topic; I've been thinking about and typing this post for about a half-hour. :cool:

Bluesman
07 Sep 06,, 00:12
As an old air-warrior, I'd like to see the air action over Malta: three old Brit biplanes...against a German Luftflotte. How 'bout THAT? Dramatic enough?

Linebacker II, Route Package Six, Hanoi/Haiphong...told from both sides.

Maybe Captain Ray's actions...as a friend of his, it may be tough to watch (I know a bit about this; I edited a friend's book about his time in Vietnam, and I dam' near started drinking in the morning :frown: ), but I would be interested in knowing where he's been, what he's survived.

But I won't ask about it, as I'm not a script writer, nor a family member...and those are just about the only people qualified to ask about something that's his business.

Salute, Brigadier.

leib10
07 Sep 06,, 02:15
Kursk, specifically the Battle of Prokhorovka.

Amled
07 Sep 06,, 02:21
Thermopalae (sp?) I can spell Molon Labe perfectly. ;)
Ditto!

...and Agincourt and Crécy.

dalem
07 Sep 06,, 03:17
Mulling it over, I'd like to see the WHOLE Battle around Kasserine, showing both the Americans breaking and then later standing resilient watching the Germans withdraw.

Coral Sea.

A good version of the Remagen fight.

Something, ANYTHING, from early in the Korean War.

-dale

EricTheRed
07 Sep 06,, 05:06
Fall of Constantinople and its heroic defense by Emperor Constantine XI

lemontree
07 Sep 06,, 05:44
The gallant stand by one section + one RCL det of my battalion, agianst the enemy's two battalions plus an armoured squadron on 1st Sept 1965 in Chhamb. The battle started at first light and ended at 1500 hrs after they ran out of ammo.

Amled
07 Sep 06,, 06:08

-dale
ESPECIALLY The Battle at Chosin Reservoir!

-{SpoonmaN}-
07 Sep 06,, 11:02
Fall of Saigon (would be a sad one), The Boxer Rebellion, Something huge from the Iran-Iraq War, plus one of the huge ones between Japan and China during World War Two.
Tsushima strait would also be pretty spectacular on film today.

Officer of Engineers
07 Sep 06,, 13:41

-dale

TAEGUKGI, the Korean version of SPR. It's made in the same manner but unfortunately, cannot escape Asia's clingingness with over-dramatization. Good story and tried to do too much; touching on every single aspect of that war from the Korean PoV.

I just check. There is a torrent for that, a total download of 1.37 gigs.

Canmoore
07 Sep 06,, 15:07
while not really a battle, i would really want to see a film made about Laura Secord. She alone saved Upper Canada from invasion from the americans.

If you dont know the story here it is in a nutshell.

Laura became aware of plans for a surprise attack on British Lieutenant James Fitzgibbon at Beaver Dams, which would have furthered American control in the Niagara Peninsula. Laura set out to warn Lieutenant Fitzgibbon herself. She walked approximately 32 kilometres from present day Queenston through St. David's, Homer, St. Catharines and Short Hills at the Niagara Escarpment before arriving at the camp of allied Native warriors who led her the rest of the way to Fitzgibbon's headquarters at the Decew home. A small British force was then ready for the American attack, and almost all of the American soldiers were taken prisoner in the ensuing Battle of Beaver Dams.

Another battle i would like to see is the battle of Kapyong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kapyong), Korean War.

Canmoore
07 Sep 06,, 15:14
Imagine if you will, the following on film in a braveheart/saving private ryan epic battle style scene...

The initial Chinese attack at Kapyong engaged the 3rd Royal Australian Regiment until the Australians retreated from their positions on Hill 504. The Chinese then struck at the the Canadian front. Wave after wave of massed Chinese troops kept up the attack throughout the night of 23 April. The Chinese had managed to infiltrate the brigade position by the morning of the 23rd. This resulted in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry being completely surrounded. It had to be resupplied by air drops during this desperate time. By the evening of April 23 the Australian 27th and 29th Brigades were facing the Chinese 118th Division. Throughout April 24 the battle was unrelenting. It devolved, on both fronts, into hand-to-hand combat with bayonet charges. This was some of the bloodiest and most ferocious hand-to-hand fighting of the Korean War. The Australians were ordered to make an orderly fall back to new defensive positions late in the day of April 24. The Canadians defended their position until eventually the Chinese assault collapsed. By the afternoon of 25 April the road through to the Canadians had been cleared of Chinese at which time the 2nd Battalion, PPCLI was relieved by units of the United States Army. The actions by the Australian and Canadian forces prevented a massive breakthrough that would certainly have resulted in the fall of Seoul.

Bill
07 Sep 06,, 15:31

Thermopylae.

A remake of the 300 Spartans is long overdue.

leib10
07 Sep 06,, 15:33
Tours.

Bill
07 Sep 06,, 15:34

I liked Troy a lot. Good cast, great fight scenes, decent score, hot ancient bimbos....what more can a fellow ask for? ;)

Tours.
That'd definitely work for me too. :)

Mongtomery was "underpar", that's not Spielbergs fault.

leib10
07 Sep 06,, 16:33
After all, Tours is probably one of the top 5 most influential battles in history. Europe might be speaking Arabic right now if had turned out differently.

TopHatter
07 Sep 06,, 17:26
After all, Tours is probably one of the top 5 most influential battles in history. Europe might be speaking Arabic right now if had turned out differently.
And how can you not like a guy named Charles "The Hammer" Martel? :cool:

leib10
07 Sep 06,, 17:49
No joke. I'd totally see it if they didn't "Hollywoodize" it and distort the true story so much that it might as well be about another battle. :rolleyes:

Rifleman
07 Sep 06,, 19:02
Kings Mountain and Cowpens.

These ought to work, since Last of the Mohicans and The Patriot were both hits.

Simullacrum
07 Sep 06,, 19:36
[QUOTE=Lunatock]Thermopalae (sp?) I can spell Molon Labe perfectly. ;)[/QUOTE

:) ...very very Close....not a bad try...its Monon Labe

remake of the 300 spartans...would be nice.

Bill
07 Sep 06,, 21:07

Last of the Puerto Ricans is one of my all time fave 'war' movies.(it's not really a war movie, though the directors cut does have an excellent 'conventional' battle scene in it)

Bill
07 Sep 06,, 21:09
:) ...very very Close....not a bad try...its Monon Labe
I've always seen it spelled "Molon Labe", as Luna put it.

"Molon Labe ... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! Molon labe (mo-lone lah-veh) Two little words. They mean, "Come and get them! ..."
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=molon+labe&fr=yfp-t-500&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Simullacrum
08 Sep 06,, 19:22

"Molon Labe ... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! Molon labe (mo-lone lah-veh) Two little words. They mean, "Come and get them! ..."

Agreee...my apology...my ancient greek is a bit rusty...havent used it for a while....plus my doctor had been heavenly through my system at the time of writing [dr JD ]

yes its Molon labe..... Monon means by ones self..!!

Lunatock
09 Sep 06,, 04:48

You, Life Liberty Ect., the majority of AR15.com, and myself.

Tronic
10 Sep 06,, 17:25
I would like to see The Battle Of Saraghari on film... 21 Indian troops from the British Indian army held off an assault of their outpost from 12,000 Afghan tribesman.... they fought till their death...

Saragarhi is the incredible story of 21 men of the 36th Sikh Regiment (currently the 4th Sikh Regiment) who gave up their lives in devotion to their duty. In keeping with the tradition , they fought to the death rather than surrender. The Battle at Saragarhi is one of eight stories of collective bravery published by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). It has been mentioned as one of the five most significant events of its kind in the world which includes the Saga of Thermoplyae associated with the heroic stand of a small Greek force against the mighty Persian Army of Xerxes in 480 B.C.

Bill
11 Sep 06,, 08:33
Just saw a commercial tonight for a new movie about Iwo Jima.

Looks really good based on the trailer i saw.

Dreadnought
11 Sep 06,, 14:03
Leyte Gulf
The Solomans
Guadal Canal
The Mariana's

-{SpoonmaN}-
11 Sep 06,, 15:10
Leyte Gulf
The Solomans
Guadal Canal
The Mariana's

Like I said, good examples, but to me the ultimate Industrial-Age oceanic battle is Tsushima Strait.
Two huge fleets, probably easier to present on film than later battles (with their longer engagement ranges), lots of firepower and a decisive victory for one side and a tragedy for the other.

S2
11 Sep 06,, 22:37
I'll second LIEBSTANDARTE 10's recommendation on Kursk and, like him, specifically on the battles around Prokhorovka. Use D. Glantz as the technical advisor.

smilingassassin
12 Sep 06,, 09:28
I'd like to see a REAL movie on the sinking of the Bismarck. Emagine the final battle scene with Rodney and KGV hamering the Bismarck as the circle her like a pack of wolves. The carnage scenes on deck would make "Saving Private Ryan" look like a picnic. They could even give the movie the title "Blood and Iron" and a music score "like Lord of the Rings".

Dreadnought
12 Sep 06,, 18:45
Sorry just wanted to add a few to my list

Trafalgar.
Civil War (Naval and ground offensives)

Dreadnought
12 Sep 06,, 18:48
I'd like to see a REAL movie on the sinking of the Bismarck. Emagine the final battle scene with Rodney and KGV hamering the Bismarck as the circle her like a pack of wolves. The carnage scenes on deck would make "Saving Private Ryan" look like a picnic. They could even give the movie the title "Blood and Iron" and a music score "like Lord of the Rings".

Its quite possible that footage exists however the war museums would never part with it or allow it to be viewed until it was transferred to more easily stored/handled mediums. But quite possible it exists.:confused:

Canmoore
13 Sep 06,, 03:04
I still say that the battle of Kapyong would make an excellent film.

ArmchairGeneral
13 Sep 06,, 06:14

Beat me to it, dang you.:mad: Ah, I know; how about Trafalgar? Also, I'm sure Waterloo has been covered, but I expect it's been a while, so that would be good too.

ArmchairGeneral
13 Sep 06,, 06:18
The Hunley vs the Housatonic, perhaps? Not much of an actual battle, but nonetheless a fascinating story.

Parihaka
13 Sep 06,, 06:19
Beat me to it, dang you.:mad: Ah, I know; how about Trafalgar? Also, I'm sure Waterloo has been covered, but I expect it's been a while, so that would be good too.I haven't seen anything about Trafalgar since i was a wee nipper and even then it was ancient. Ican't recall ever having seen a movie of Waterloo. I'd like a decent one on Chunuk Bair as well.

ArmchairGeneral
13 Sep 06,, 06:34
Any of the Scottish vs British battles would be good. Culloden, perhaps?

cris29
13 Sep 06,, 15:44
The best one wud be

Owain Glyndwr the last king of Wales defending north wales against then the largest Engllish army ever to be mobolised. Welsh were outnumbered 1:12, they still were defeated but they earned the respect fo the Englsih

Trajan
14 Sep 06,, 01:10
Battle of Sekigahara 1612, Japan

TopHatter
14 Sep 06,, 01:30
The Hunley vs the Housatonic, perhaps? Not much of an actual battle, but nonetheless a fascinating story.

That was done as a made-for-TV movie The Hunley (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162897/), starring Armand Assante as Lt. George Dixon and Donald Sutherland as General P.G.T. Beauregard.

The words "Made-for-TV movie" usually elicit a groan from me, but apparently it won and was nominated for a couple of awards (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162897/awards).

I saw a few minutes of it here and there. The scenes inside CSS Hunley were very good at portraying the cramped conditions.

Officer of Engineers
14 Sep 06,, 01:39
Ican't recall ever having seen a movie of Waterloo.

You cannot have missed this film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066549/

TopHatter
14 Sep 06,, 01:49

Good lord, look at that cast

Parihaka
14 Sep 06,, 01:54
You cannot have missed this film

Cooool, I'm off down to the indie video shop, her indoors will just have to play tetris on the computer tonight......

Officer of Engineers
14 Sep 06,, 02:47
It's amazing when you have a cast of 2 Soviet divisions ... yes, they actually had 20,000 men doing the battle in that movie.

I think I'm going to my video store also.

Bill
14 Sep 06,, 03:07
Damn, never seen(nor even heard) of that one!

I doubt very much Blockbuster has this though, is it worth buying?

Here's a trailer for the new flick "Flyboys."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454824/trailers-screenplay-E28469-10-2

And the details for "Flags of our Fathers", the new Iwo Jima movie. Directed by Clint Eastwood!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418689/

And the trailer...
http://mfile.akamai.com/17690/wmv/paramount.download.akamai.com/30/mp/flags_of_our_fathers/flags_of_our_fathers_trailer1_lrg.asx

Officer of Engineers
14 Sep 06,, 03:33
Let me see if I can find a torrent for you guys.

Bill
14 Sep 06,, 03:45
Heh, as long as it comes with instructions! :)

Canmoore
14 Sep 06,, 04:24
Am i alone in thinking that the battle of Kapyong would make an amazing movie?

Officer of Engineers
14 Sep 06,, 05:15
As much as I agreed that Kap'Yong was a major turning point in the Korean War, it was NOT the pitch battle that many others were in history. 2 PPCLI was fresh while the Chinese divisions were exhausted. We had the NZ battery support while the Chinese only had infantry.

The truth was that even if the Chinese had managed to overwhelm 2 PPCLI, they were done. They could not do anything more. They were that exhausted.

astralis
15 Sep 06,, 20:00
canmoore,

well, if you want to see a korean war movie in general,

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/taegukgi/

of course, as with most korean movies, it is emotionally overwrought. and i would generally believe that the heroics shown in the movie would have resulted in the death of the heroes a lot sooner than is actually shown.

but hey...it's a war movie.

Dreadnought
16 Sep 06,, 03:53
Cooool, I'm off down to the indie video shop, her indoors will just have to play tetris on the computer tonight......

Lmao cheers:biggrin:

YellowFever
18 Sep 06,, 08:51
TAEGUKGI, the Korean version of SPR. It's made in the same manner but unfortunately, cannot escape Asia's clingingness with over-dramatization. Good story and tried to do too much; touching on every single aspect of that war from the Korean PoV.

I just check. There is a torrent for that, a total download of 1.37 gigs.

My Father's review of that film.....
(He was a Sergeant in the Korean Marines. Shot twice, once in the hand and shoulder)

A pretty accurate depiction of "how it was" in the early days of that war. Hard to believe that he actually thinks "real life" was alot worse than shown in that movie. Some of the "grunt" scene where the soldier on the ground talk and joke during lulls in the battle made him actually laugh out loud because he says those were excellently depicted. About all he really remembers were the countless hours he scrounged for food mingled with moments of pure terror. The "heroism" portryed in the movie by the leading characters were pretty accurate he says. Although he says they weren't done for patriotism but rather some of them wanted to die than live under the conditions they were forced to live in. Others simply "broke" and turned insane and just wanted to kill as much of the commies as they could before they got killed.
He says the medical care was worse than portrayed in the movie. He still has a bullet lodged in his shoulder. They just applioed some liquid and bandaged it and let it heal over becuase they didn't have the tools to remove it.
Alot of his fellow Marines resented the hell out of the American G.I.s as they were treated as "gooks" and subhuman but my father understood it was their way (American G.I.'s) of dealing with war.

(Funny side story: During Desert Storm, CNN showed an American soldier pulling the string to fire an artillary round and then turning to his loader to high-five him. My sister said something about how barbaric it was for that man to high-five another soldier after he loosed a round that probably killed people. My father started laughing out loud. He said something to the effect of, "American G.I.'s..those sunavu*****es.." He said it with pride. I don't know why he laughed or the pride he felt ...that's something I couldn't bring myself to ask him)

To sum it up:
My dad says the battle scenes were pretty accurate and he, like you OoE, thought the over-dramatization was pure vanilla. It was the only thing he didn't like about the movie. At the end of the movie, he didn't say a word, he just went to his room and started to cry.

AlpErTunga
18 Sep 06,, 11:35
I want to see Gallipoli Battle or Dardanelles War on film. After or during this war; enemies became colleague, Russian Empire became Soviet Union, sick man Ottoman defeated British and French armies and navies, Mustafa Kemal became Anafartalar Hero, etc... Consequences of this battle were amazing according to me.

PubFather
18 Sep 06,, 19:20
I want to see Gallipoli Battle or Dardanelles War on film. After or during this war; enemies became colleague, Russian Empire became Soviet Union, sick man Ottoman defeated British and French armies and navies, Mustafa Kemal became Anafartalar Hero, etc... Consequences of this battle were amazing according to me.
I'd love to see the battle of Megiddo - the one in World War One where General "Bloody Bull" Allenby crushes the Ottomans despite their army being propped up by Austrians and Germans... :)

Repatriated Canuck
20 Sep 06,, 12:43
Any of the Scottish vs British battles would be good. Culloden, perhaps?

The Scottish where bound to lose that one, no clue why any idiot would pick that location as a battle site. When you go there and look the first thing you do is go man no wonder we lost.

Culloden is why I'm Canadian.

I want to see the Canadian scrap at Ortona.

I just saw a preview for Flyboys about WW1 pilots, so seeing that when it's out!!!!!

Repatriated Canuck
20 Sep 06,, 12:51

Funny how Gallipoli ensured Turkey would be an effective fighting force the next time around only on our side!

Gallipoli was important I agree.

Bill
20 Sep 06,, 14:28
I just saw a preview for Flyboys about WW1 pilots, so seeing that when it's out!!!!!
LOL, i posted the link to the trailor 9 posts above your own. ;)

pdf27
20 Sep 06,, 16:01
As much as I agreed that Kap'Yong was a major turning point in the Korean War, it was NOT the pitch battle that many others were in history. 2 PPCLI was fresh while the Chinese divisions were exhausted. We had the NZ battery support while the Chinese only had infantry.
Was there anything particularly exceptional about that battle, and if so can you direct me to some sources on it? From the potted history that's gone up here so far, it sounds pretty similar to actions like Gloster Hill in the same war, and no doubt a number of others too.

PubFather
20 Sep 06,, 20:21
The Scottish where bound to lose that one, no clue why any idiot would pick that location as a battle site. When you go there and look the first thing you do is go man no wonder we lost.

Culloden is why I'm Canadian.

Remember that roughly half of the "English" army was made up of lowland Scots.
Lowlanders regarded the Highlanders as primitive barbarians. Lowlanders spoke "Scots" (a derivative of "English"), the Highlanders Gaelic. Lowlanders were largely Calvinist against the Catholic Highlanders.

The idiot you mention is Bonnie Prince Charlie although the battleground was partly accidental. Charlies other brilliant strategy was to allow the Highlanders to weather a half hour barrage from artillery, while the Loyalist troops formed their lines... had they charged in unison earlier it might have changed the course of the battle if not of history.

As Billy Connolly calls him "that stupid wee, effeminate, Italian dwarf"... Bonnie Prince indeed.. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a proper film of Robert the Bruce (rather than Mel Gibson's crap protrayal of him in Braveheart).

leib10
20 Sep 06,, 20:35
Wasn't that whole movie crap? There isn't even a bridge at Sterling!

PubFather
20 Sep 06,, 20:59
Wasn't that whole movie crap? There isn't even a bridge at Sterling!
There wasnt a bridge at Stirling either!! ;)

Historically, it was awful, especially the incursion into England which was nicked from the Jacobite invaison of 1745... utter tripe... Not to mention that Wallace's army was predominately lowland in nature

leib10
20 Sep 06,, 21:03
Whoops, did I mispell it?

Wraith601
20 Sep 06,, 22:17
Thermopylae.

A remake of the 300 Spartans is long overdue.

It's being released in 2007.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

Bill
21 Sep 06,, 06:07
It's being released in 2007.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

YES!!!

Trailer:
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=453&item=0

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/images/pop_up/combat/climbtotemplebig.jpg

Will You See This Movie?

330(Votes)

Yes, In the Theaters: 93%
I'll Wait for the DVD: 4%
Maybe on TV: 0%
I'm Not Sure: 2%
No, I Will Not: 1%

July 29, 2006 - Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, "300" is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale.

Official Website: http://300themovie.warnerbros.com

Rifleman
21 Sep 06,, 07:20
Remember that roughly half of the "English" army was made up of lowland Scots. Lowlanders regarded the Highlanders as primitive barbarians. Lowlanders spoke "Scots" (a derivative of "English"), the Highlanders Gaelic. Lowlanders were largely Calvinist against the Catholic Highlanders.

I think it was around 1600 that your good King James I initiated a little social experiment with lowland Scots called the Ulster Plantation. A little over a hundred years later some of their decendents decided that they weren't Scottish enough to be Scottish, Irish enough to be Irish, or British enough to be British. They decided to become Americans. ;)

When they hit the Atlantic coast they headed inland to the Appalachians, since most of the good lands along the Atlantic seaboard were already claimed. They became very good with a German invention called the jager and modified it into the American longrifle.

On October 8, 1780, they killed a highland regular named Patrick Ferguson, and much of the loyalist milita he commanded, at Kings Mountain. Many of Ferguson's loyalist militia were of highland descent as well.

A few months later, on January 17, 1781, some of the same frontier riflemen who had been at Kings Mountain formed part of Daniel Morgan's skirmishline at Cowpens. They fell back under fire, sharpshooting as they went, until the attacking troops of the 71st Regiment of Foot, AKA the 71st Highlanders, hit the Continental Line and were virtually annihilated.

Ain't it a shame that cousins can't get along. :biggrin:

Put Kings Mountain and Cowpens on film.

PubFather
21 Sep 06,, 16:06
I think it was around 1600 that your good King James I initated a little social experiment with lowland Scots called the Ulster Plantation. A little over a hundred years later some of their decendents decided that they weren't Scottish enough to be Scottish, Irish enough to be Irish, or British enough to be British. They decided to become Americans. ;)

When they hit the Atlantic coast they headed inland to the Appalachians, since most of the good lands along the Atlantic seaboard were already claimed. They became very good with a German invention called the jager and modified it into the American longrifle.

On October 8, 1780, they killed a highland regular named Patrick Ferguson, and much of the loyalist milita he commanded, at Kings Mountain. Many of Ferguson's loyalist militia were of highland descent as well.

A few months later, on January 17, 1781, some of the same frontier riflemen who had been at Kings Mountain formed part of Daniel Morgan's skirmishline at Cowpens. They fell back under fire, sharpshooting as they went, until the attacking troops of the 71st Regiment of Foot, AKA the 71st Highlanders, hit the Continental Line and were virtually annihilated.

Ain't it a shame that cousins can't get along. :biggrin:

Put Kings Mountain and Cowpens on film.
Really interesting story - I knew of the Scots-Irish presbyterians but didnt know the details of those battles, and I like quote from Washington.

Funnily enough, I'm highland on my father's side, lowland on my mothers (as well as part English...) It's true that Scots have spent as much time killing each other as they have the English...

Willie: "Brothers and sisters are natural born enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damned Scots! They ruined Scotland..."
Skinner: "You Scots sure are a contentious people."
Willie: "You just made an enemy for life!"

PubFather
21 Sep 06,, 17:05
Whoops, did I mispell it?
Yep - but only just... :)

Bill
21 Sep 06,, 22:14
WHOA!

Michael Mann is directing ANOTHER movie about the 300 Spartans(perhaps with George Clooney):

Go Tell The Spartans... Again
by Stax

June 13, 2002 - According to Variety, Hollywood has gone ape for the ancient Greeks. In addition to Universal's long-in-development epic Gates of Fire, which is based on Steven Pressfield's novel and has Michael Mann attached to direct, another project about the Battle of Thermoplyae is in the works. 20th Century Fox will remake its 1962 cult classic The 300 Spartans, which is "about the elite Greek warriors who held off a million Persian invaders in the Battle of Thermoplyae." Novelist/playwright Erik Jendresen (HBO's Band of Brothers) will script the remake, which the trade claims will be "more ambitious" than the 1962 film.

Fox honcho Jim Gianopulos told Variety that films "like Gladiator, Braveheart and the fantasy Lord of the Rings demonstrated the enormous appeal of strong characters fighting epic battles on grand scales, and this has all those elements. ... We've already done much preparation and planning to get under way next year and we're relying on Erik to give us the compelling characters to bring that period to life."

Jendresen is also at work on Crisis in the Hot Zone, the Fox-based ebola virus pic previously beat to the theaters by Outbreak; Explaining Hitler, co-written with Bruce McKenna for director Jim Sheridan; an adaptation of Sebastian Junger's book Fire; biopics of both Daniel Boone and Jacques Cousteau; and the stem cell research pic Immortals for director Ridley Scott.
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/362/362137p1.html

Some more links:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808404115
http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/solander%20files/spinterview.htm

According to the links 20th Century Fox has it's own Remake of the original in the works.

Bill
22 Sep 06,, 16:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H9QQ-iBKtI

Utube trailer for "300" spartans(the previously linked trailer has been pulled)

leib10
22 Sep 06,, 20:57
I'd like to see a movie about Manfred von Richthofen, Rickenbacker, Erich Hartmann, etc.

glyn
22 Sep 06,, 22:31
Computer graphics have improved by leaps and bounds and they continue to improve. It should ultimately be possible to make films so realistic that the viewer will be unable to tell that CGI was used. I saw a brief clip of a French made film set in the interwar period in which the Farman Goliath airliner was portrayed. I would have sworn that it was real, but it wasn't. Now all we need are historians to work with the graphics people and anything should be possible. Oh, I can dream.......

leib10
23 Sep 06,, 00:32
I'd like to see a movie about Manfred von Richthofen, Rickenbacker, Erich Hartmann, etc.

I see a WWI flying film coming out, "Flyboys". I also see in the trailer that all German Fokker Dr. I's bearing the same paint scheme as Richthofen's. :rolleyes:

While it was true that planes of Jasta 11's pilots were painted predominately red, the pilots added their own touch to it. For example, Lothar von Richthofen, Manfred's daredevil brother, had splashes of yellow (cavalry's traditional color) applied to his planes.

glyn
23 Sep 06,, 10:04
I'm sure that a case-hardened cynic like yourself would NOT expect truth or accuracy to emerge from a Hollywood dream factory.
However, to put the other side, I am reminded of the words used by the director in the film The Great Waldo Pepper, where after listening to comments made by the 'pilots' he observes " I give them truth. They demand accuracy!" Hmm. Interesting.

leib10
23 Sep 06,, 18:38
It's not that I can't see Hollywood not making a taking a story and sticking to its truthfulness. Some stories are so remarkable that they don't even have to embellish the truth or downright make things up. Hartmann's story would be one of them.

glyn
23 Sep 06,, 19:15
It's not that I can't see Hollywood not making a taking a story and sticking to its truthfulness. Some stories are so remarkable that they don't even have to embellish the truth or downright make things up. Hartmann's story would be one of them.

No. They don't have to. But they do! And will continue to do so.
There are many cooks making the broth of a movie. Some executives will say there MUST be a love interest otherwise females (or 50% of the cinema attending population) will stay away in droves. Someone else (guaranteed to have a name like Elmo Q Dumbleberger) will want to see more artistic 'balance'. Perhaps we shall have to wait for a talented band of freelance self-financing CGI experts to create the definitive article. Even then, will their work be ignored by the cinema chain owners? No prizes for guessing.

dalem
27 Sep 06,, 08:14
A buddy of mine popped in a DVD of a movie I'd never even heard of this last weekend. "Kokoda" - a story of some Aussies enduring and fighting the Japanese over the Kokoda trail on New Guineau. Nicely done, I thought, good characters and some good Enfield and Bren action for us grogs. I recommend it.

-dale

aprilfleur
29 Sep 06,, 02:15
i would like to see in movie the battle between the ethnic groups in the Balkan region sometime early 1900s until Western Europe, UN, and US intervened to maintain the region's and Europe economic and political balance.

it would be a history of ethnic rifts and economic issues that i think Europe should always keep an eye on as it deals not only with Europe but most importantly with the ethnic groups in the area particularly the Muslim groups that would trace their roots to neighboring Middle East nations...and how this impacted on UN and US....and why...

Catalan
29 Sep 06,, 02:18
I'd like to see Hollywood exaggerate Kursk. ;)

ArmchairGeneral
02 Oct 06,, 02:21
I think it was around 1600 that your good King James I initiated a little social experiment with lowland Scots called the Ulster Plantation. A little over a hundred years later some of their decendents decided that they weren't Scottish enough to be Scottish, Irish enough to be Irish, or British enough to be British. They decided to become Americans. ;)

Very interesting. I'm of Scotch-Irish extraction (partially) myself.

(edit) Hey, Rifleman, ever read a book titled The Long March? It's a historical novel about Dan Morgan, Cowpens, and the surrounding events. Very interesting reading.

Parihaka
02 Oct 06,, 02:33
Was there anything particularly exceptional about that battle, and if so can you direct me to some sources on it? From the potted history that's gone up here so far, it sounds pretty similar to actions like Gloster Hill in the same war, and no doubt a number of others too.

Apart from the fact that Capt. Wally Mills requested that artillery be fired on his own positions by the NZ Artillery, who duly obliged.
Or that the Canadians stemmed the breach in the UN lines and held despite a large numerical superiority in Chinese forces.
nothing too exceptional, no.;)

YellowFever
02 Oct 06,, 05:57
Two films I would love to see is a story on the "Cactus AirForce" on Guadalacanal during WW2 and a story of the covert operation in the "Flying Fish Channel" that opened the way for the Inchon Landing.

Rifleman
07 Oct 06,, 02:25
Hey, Rifleman, ever read a book titled The Long March? It's a historical novel about Dan Morgan, Cowpens, and the surrounding events. Very interesting reading.

No, but I do like many historical novels (Sharpe series, Cold Mountain, etc.) so I'll look for it.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was visitng kin for about a week (not all that far from you) and just got back home today.

leib10
07 Oct 06,, 02:53
I'd like to see Hollywood exaggerate Kursk. ;)

It'd be actually somewhat difficult to for even Hollywood to exaggerate Kursk, especially Prokhorovka and the famous charge by 5th Guards Tank Army.

Goatboy
07 Oct 06,, 06:36
I can't wait to see Clint Eastwood's 2 movies about Iwo Jima. The fact that's there's 2 flicks is so neat -- one from the "American perspective" and one from the "Japanese prospective". Whatever happens, I'm sure both movies will be better than the historical slop (and acting, and storyline) that was the movie "Pearl Harbor" a few years ago -- cept for the CGI attack on Pearl Harbor itself.

I must say it gives me shivers, in a good way, to see American and Japanese veterans of Iwo Jima engage in a yearly display of comradery and hoist both nations respective flags (and no media allowed for this is holy ground). I think Clint will tell the story right, about ordinary men, young men hardly out of puberty fighting, dying and sacrificing for things they felt were important. Hopefully these movies will be about the personal, the individual.

Low-tech
07 Oct 06,, 19:40

the odessey would be a better movie,but obviously not a war movie,more like a fantasy-DandD nerdfest kind of thing.

the iliad is really not something that would be a good movie imo, there is alot of whining and melodrama and some of the stuff is just plain wierd going down, not to mention it would be,depicted in full, an 8 hour movie......all fighting on a massive scale. id love to see it attempted tho.

a samurai adaptation of the iliad would be cool, but thats just me tho.

i heard the story of hannibal is gonna be made with vin deisel as the lead.........theyre probably gonna mess this one up.

what id like to see:

roman civil war.

story on ghengis khan.

whoever mentioned the fall of constantinople, good call

a movie about the Jannisary within the ottoman empire, directed from their viewpoint, not a turkish nationalist one.

a good up to date napleon movie.

Japanese films:

Tiara vs Minomoto clans

japanese medieval invasion of korea and northern china

mongol invasion, the kamakazi

American history:

the Monitor vs the..............Merry-ahh,something or other. you know, those 2 warships that duked it out.

another french-indian war movie, the last of the mohicans is barely watchable, its a "chick flick", lets just face it. the native dude who played magua held the whole thing together<completely badass actor>. that could of been a totally badass movie. the musical score was amazing for that film tho.

Moby Dick. ok, not a war movie per say, but an epic battle between a whale and a mighty ship.

Bill
08 Oct 06,, 00:02
A remake of seven samurai wouldnt be too bad either.

ASG
09 Oct 06,, 19:00
In order of Preference:

Battle of Cannae(Second Punic War).
Persian Invasion of Greece under Darius.
Battle of Catalunia between Huns & the Romans.
Fall of Constantinople.
Battle of Zama(Second Punic War).

seigar
09 Oct 06,, 19:19
Would like to see The Battle off Samar during Battle of Leyte Gulf, 1944 and Chosin Reservoir, USMC 1950 Korea.

Goatboy
11 Oct 06,, 00:09
We've seen a lot of recent big budget WW2 movies -- Saving Private Ryan, The thin red line, Clint's new movies etc, but I wanna see a realistic depiction (with lots of sweet CGI -- AND decent acting/storyline) of, say the battle of Verdun. I want to see something similar to Black Hawk down, gritty and realistic and action packed, not some sloppy love story spliced in between CGI sequences.

Ironduke
05 Dec 06,, 03:19
bump

ChrisF202
06 Dec 06,, 13:49
I dont care what it is as long as its NOT another WW2 movie. They have made enough of them (especially from the American viewpoint) to last human civilization about 1,000 years.

I am so sick of all the WW2 movies and video games, I honestly dont think Hollywood and the VG makers are aware that there were other wars besides WW2.

temujin77
06 Dec 06,, 17:54
I dont care what it is as long as its NOT another WW2 movie. They have made enough of them (especially from the American viewpoint) to last human civilization about 1,000 years.

I am so sick of all the WW2 movies and video games, I honestly dont think Hollywood and the VG makers are aware that there were other wars besides WW2.

While I totally respect your opinion, I have to point out that apparently it's not of the majority. Hollywood makes movies that it thinks the mass wants, and it looks like the masses can't get enough WW2 right now...

Alekseyev
08 Dec 06,, 08:19
Fall of Constantinople and its heroic defense by Emperor Constantine XI

I too would like to see that

leib10
08 Dec 06,, 21:34

I'd like to see more done on the Eastern Front. But it has to be good! :biggrin:

zraver
08 Dec 06,, 21:46
Kursk, or Berlin

Stan187
08 Dec 06,, 23:24
Golan Heights 1973.

Kansas Bear
09 Dec 06,, 23:35
Adrianople 378

Lepanto 1571

Austerlitz 1805

BD1
20 Dec 06,, 23:05
Kursk /or Berlin
Grozny ´94
the best war movie I´ve seen was ´Talvisota/Winter War´ - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/ - this is still quite landmark for me
together with ´Das Boot´
CGI or not , it still comes down to having a decent script /director , otherwise - another ´Pearl Harbour´

Criniit
21 Dec 06,, 03:11
CAMERONE!!!!!!!

"THEY WERE HERE LESS THAN SIXTY
OPPOSE A WHOLE ARMEE
SA MASSES CRUSHED THEM
LIFE RATHER THAN COURAGE
GAVE UP THESE FRENCH SOLDIERS
APRIL 30, 1863
With THEIR MEMORY The FATHERLAND RAISED EC MONUMENT".

Long Live the Legion.

Fortudinae
21 Dec 06,, 06:21
[QUOTE=TopHatter;262280]I don't recall if we've had this topic before, but...

..no contact ... CIC aye.. contact... CONTACT... contact contact contact contactcontactcontact

Since you got my choice - Bloody Friday the 13th - (perfect title) - mine would have to be Houston and Perth at Sunda Strait.

I saw a painting of San Francisco lit up by a dozen IJN searchlights just before the shells starting coming in - chilling - Scott and Callahan never knew what hit them. Only way to go.
I can't believe July Alpha Papa is verboten - as a westerner I think it should be verboten to call Americans "yankee".

random person
24 Dec 06,, 18:15
Ditto!

...and Agincourt and Crécy.

yea any battle where either british sluaghters french, or scotland sluaghters england or romans

Stan187
24 Dec 06,, 23:08
yea any battle where either british sluaghters french, or scotland sluaghters england or romans

Henry V movie covers Agincourt.

durtyburd
27 Dec 06,, 07:46
The siege of Numancia. (Romans Vs Celt-Iberians)

and

The siege of the Alcazar (During Spanish Civil War)

BMF12
29 Dec 06,, 05:03
The Hunt for the Bismarck would be good........also, Vimy Ridge would be excellent. And Kursk.

neilmpenny
01 Jan 07,, 21:47
The closing of the Feliez Gap would be a good one.

rick857
02 Jan 07,, 16:08
I'd really like to see the Battle of 73 Easting. 2nd ACR (2 - 3 Troops) versus virtually an entire Iraqi Repulican Guards Brigade.

If we could get some fictional stuff on the big screen I'd love to see Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. Talk about an epic movie!

Rick Cox

temujin77
02 Jan 07,, 16:10
The Hunt for the Bismarck would be good........also, Vimy Ridge would be excellent. And Kursk.

The hunt for Bismarck definitely has potential to be a great film. I can definitely see the potential of it as a suspenseful thriller.

AlpErTunga
06 Jan 07,, 14:45
Gallipoli War ( Dardanelles War )

It is the most weird and greatest murder. The distance between enemy lines decreased till 0,5 meters. Turks gave Turkish tobaccos and good bread to the British soldiers and British soldiers gave chocolate to the Turkish forces. Both side fought bravely and over 500000 people were killed during the war officially.

neilmpenny
06 Jan 07,, 17:17
Gallipoli War ( Dardanelles War )

It is the most weird and greatest murder. The distance between enemy lines decreased till 0,5 meters. Turks gave Turkish tobaccos and good bread to the British soldiers and British soldiers gave chocolate to the Turkish forces. Both side fought bravely and over 500000 people were killed during the war officially.

We ANZACS and you 'Johnny Turk's" had, and still have, the greatest respect for each other as soldiers. Loads of stories of good will in the trenches at ANZAC cove. But lets not be mistaken, when the war was raging it was totally ruthless..... Respect. Have you seen the Australian movie Galipolli by George Miller?

Kansas Bear
19 Jan 07,, 05:22
Battle of Sarikamis. Dec 1914-Jan 1915.

What a disaster!!!

Archer
19 Jan 07,, 06:57
Battle of Haldighat
The Battle of Haldighati (http://www.indhistory.com/haldighati.html)

Final Battle of Saraighat
Battle of Saraighat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saraighat#Final_battle)

Rezang La
Men of Steel on Icy Heights (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/History/1962War/Mohan.html)
Rezang La - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezang_La)

Saragarhi
Battle of Saragarhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi)
Defending Saragarhi, 12 September 1897 (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/History/1765/Saragarhi.html)

soutie
19 Jan 07,, 09:15
for me there are two TORA TORA TORA and the battle of midway

Pioneer
05 Apr 08,, 15:23
I think this would make a great movie

The Battle of Isurava 26-29 August 1942 -
AUSTRALIA'S THERMOPYLAE

1,100 Australian Diggers faced the might of 10,000 of Japan’s best combat experienced troops, in their drive to take the strategically important town of Port Moresby – this would become the Battle of Isurava.

In this battle, ‘my personal hero’ Pte Bruce Kingsbury, of the 2/14th Battalion was to become the first Australian to win a Victoria Cross on Australian soil.
Bruce Kingsbury was credited with preventing a Japanese breakthrough when –
During the morning of the 29th Aug 1942, C Company had also been repeatedly subjected to human wave attacks in its right forward position facing Deniki. The Japanese had mounted these attacks with such ferocity and determination that C Company had suffered heavy casualties, and there was a real prospect of a Japanese breakthrough that would imperil all of the Australians at Isurava. A platoon from the A Company reserve was called upon again to prevent the Japanese overrunning C Company's position, but in fierce fighting this platoon also suffered heavy casualties. Sensing victory, and with no apparent regard for their heavy losses, the Japanese continued to storm the C Company position in wave after wave, and the situation for the Australians remained critical. With the survival of the two Australian battalions at Isurava now under serious threat from a Japanese breakthrough, Lieutenant Clements of C Company gathered men for another counter-attack that was to be led by Sergeant Bob Thompson from Headquarters Company and Private Bruce Kingsbury from A Company.
Private Kingsbury had taken a Bren light machine gun from Corporal Lindsay "Teddy" Bear who had been wounded while leading an earlier desperate counter-attack in defence of the C Company position. When another wave of Japanese stormed the C Company position, Kingsbury called on his comrades to follow him. Firing his Bren gun from the hip, Kingsbury charged through a storm of fire towards the approaching line of Japanese troops. Kingsbury's charge broke the Japanese line and they fled back into the jungle. As his comrades caught up and gathered around him, a Japanese sniper's bullet cut down the gallant private.

1st Picture
The official relief of the 39th battalion on 6 September 1942 at Menari is one of the most famous images from the Kokoda Campaign. The exhausted survivors of the 39th Battalion are parading at Menari after the Battle of Isurava before their proud commander, Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Honner. Out of the original 409 members, there were only about 180 of the battalion left to parade and about a quarter of these were sick or wounded.

2nd Picture
VX19139 Pte Bruce Steel Kingsbury V.C. (1918-1942)
Bruce Kingsbury was a member of 7th Section of the 9th Platoon, in the 2/14th Battalion which in 1945 was described as the most highly decorated Section in Australian and British military history.

Regards
Pioneer

maximusslade
06 May 08,, 04:57
I have one I REEEEEEEEEEALLY want to see. I would love to see a movie about Constantine XI and the final seige and fall of Constantinople.

bolo121
06 May 08,, 06:01
Operation Pedestal.

snc128
06 May 08,, 18:46
Conquest of Istanbul. I really would like to see it because I cant think the transaction of ships from the ground!

maximusslade
06 May 08,, 19:31
Conquest of Istanbul. I really would like to see it because I cant think the transaction of ships from the ground!

LOL, I already said the Fall of Constantinople. :P

As far as the "transaction," are you referring to Mehmed II moving some of his ships over land to get into the imperial harbor?

snc128
06 May 08,, 20:05
LOL, I already said the Fall of Constantinople. :P

no matter, I second it.

As far as the "transaction," are you referring to Mehmed II moving some of his ships over land to get into the imperial harbor
yeah, just could not find the right words :)

maximusslade
06 May 08,, 21:16
My question for you, Snc, is from who's point of view would you like the story to be told? The conquering Ottomans? The defending Byzantines? Or some third party observation?

snc128
06 May 08,, 21:36
My question for you, Snc, is from who's point of view would you like the story to be told? The conquering Ottomans? The defending Byzantines? Or some third party observation?

certainly, by showing concurrent scenes from both sides.
sure, there would have been many heroic stories to be told by both sides!
I also would like to watch the preparation before the battle and the consequences, applications after the war.

the same question is for you!?
beside these, what else would you like to see in a this kind of a battle film?

maximusslade
06 May 08,, 23:41
I'm not totally certain. I think I may want the story to focus more on Constantine and Giovanni Giustiniani. I might like a brief overview as to how the once mighty Byzantines got to the point they were in, but I think I would like the focus to be on the two defenders and the last defence of the city. Personally I think the actual events leading up to the battle and events during the battle are more than enough really good material to use for a movie. There would not be any need throw in some stupid love story or any of the other ways Hollywood ruins movies. Think about it. The Emperor, a man who loves his people, city, and religion defending it against all odds. He is outnumbered at least 10 to 1, the enemy has cannon that pounds his walls into dust, he is alone, no help is coming (except that of Giovanni), he defends his city for a month, his little naval victory, the final push, and his charge into immortality. THAT is what good stories are made of, no matter how sad the ending. On another note, I think it would be awesome to see a CG Constantinople. If you'd like to see one, Byzantium 1200 (http://www.byzantium1200.com) is an awesome site.