No announcement yet.

What battle do you want to see on film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What battle do you want to see on film?

I don't recall if we've had this topic before, but...

What particular battle would you like to be given the "Saving Private Ryan/Black Hawk Down" treatment?

In other words, a brutally accurate and respectful portrayal, using the best technical and dramatic abilities that Hollywood has to offer.

My choice would be the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, November 13 1942.

"A bar room brawl with the lights shut off"
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Originally posted by TopHatter
    I don't recall if we've had this topic before, but...

What particular battle would you like to be given the "Saving Private Ryan/Black Hawk Down" treatment?

In other words, a brutally accurate and respectful portrayal, using the best technical and dramatic abilities that Hollywood has to offer.

My choice would be the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, November 13 1942.

"A bar room brawl with the lights shut off"
    A remake of the film about a Marine Corps Garrison that was overrun by the IJA, and who refused to abandon their post despite the odds. The film ended with a scene that basically said "there are plenty more where they came from".

I'd also like to see a film portraying the battle of Tora Bora.

Comment

Leyte Gulf.

Anything in WWI.

Dunkirk/Fall of France. I think a really good movie could be made showing the oft-neglected early war, maybe following a platoon of BEF as they move from a battle to Dunkirk.

The Iliad. (Don't even bring up that homoerotic puke-fest from last year.)

Revolutionary War. Horse & Musket era, with lines of guys standing and facing other lines of guys, is still spooky-fascinating to me.

-dale

Comment

Crimea, from Alma heights to the main battle including the Lights, the Heavies and the 'Thin Red Line'.
        Other than that, everything Dale said.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Oh, and Peter Jackson is remaking "The Dam Busters". Looking forward to it.

Leibniz

Comment

There was a rumour spielberg was going to do it. He never mentions britain in his films Saving private ryan. There wasnt a british flag in the cemetery cemmemoration and the way he made montgomery look under par.

Comment

Jackson's not American. SPV was about the experiences of American soldiers, but it'd be a bit tough making a film about commonwealth pilots in the RAF flying Lancasters and protraying them as American, LOL. My only concern is that I hope like hell he doesn't get Fran Walsh to script it, she totally subverted LOTR, and it'd piss me off if she did the same to the Dam Busters.
              Last edited by Parihaka; 06 Sep 06,, 21:09.

Leibniz

Comment

Tawara

Chosin
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by cris29
                  There was a rumour spielberg was going to do it. He never mentions britain in his films Saving private ryan. There wasnt a british flag in the cemetery cemmemoration and the way he made montgomery look under par.
                  SPR was about Americans, not the Brits. The cemetary in question is for the American war dead, not the Brits, because you see, there were no Brits at Omaha - they were on Gold and Sword. Monty is mentioned as having failed to get Caen as he had promised.

And Monty was under par, so anything that portrays him as such is accurate.

-dale

Comment

Thermopalae (sp?) I can spell Molon Labe perfectly. ;)

Comment

Cannae

Wouldn't mind seeing that massacre.

Comment

I forgot one: Taffy 3 at Samar.
                        Basically just purchase Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors and you've got the script.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Saratoga. It only changed the entire world's course of history, is all...and it's NEVER been covered. The characters involved, the drama, the human element...it's a natural.

Trafalgar, for the exact same reasons.

Zama.

HASTINGS. OOOOO, that would be a GOOD'un, man.

My son says, 'Marathon'. Good call.

BOTH of us want Borodino, allll the way to Moscow, then alllll the way back to the Berezina River. Heartbreaking, grim, DRAMATIC.

Quebec. Montcalm AND Wolfe going down at the apex of the battle, and it ends Frenchiness in North America. Mostly. Thank God.

Good topic; I've been thinking about and typing this post for about a half-hour.

Comment

As an old air-warrior, I'd like to see the air action over Malta: three old Brit biplanes...against a German Luftflotte. How 'bout THAT? Dramatic enough?

Linebacker II, Route Package Six, Hanoi/Haiphong...told from both sides.

Maybe Captain Ray's actions...as a friend of his, it may be tough to watch (I know a bit about this; I edited a friend's book about his time in Vietnam, and I dam' near started drinking in the morning ), but I would be interested in knowing where he's been, what he's survived.

But I won't ask about it, as I'm not a script writer, nor a family member...and those are just about the only people qualified to ask about something that's his business.

Salute, Brigadier.

Comment

Kursk, specifically the Battle of Prokhorovka.
                              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                              X