PDA

View Full Version : Only in India(roll eyes).....

gilgamesh
05 Sep 06,, 03:55
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1051110

Underworld don Abu Salem likely to contest elections in UP

PTI
Monday, September 04, 2006 19:46 IST

LUCKNOW: Underworld don Abu Salem, lodged in a jail in Lucknow after his extradition from Portugal, wants to contest the upcoming assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh.

Salem's lawyer Harjot Singh told reporters on Monday that his client wanted to contest the assembly polls due early next year and said "we will soon seek court's permission in this regard".

The constituency from where Salem might contest was yet to be decided, Singh said.

He said Salem was within his rights to contest elections "as our Constitution permits undertrials to take part in the poll process".

Mafia don Bablu Srivastav, now in Bareilly jail, had contested the last Lok Sabha polls from Sitapur as an Independent.

Srivastav, who was supported by the Apna Dal, had lost his security deposit.

What next? Dawood'bhai as Home(interior) Minister and Bukhari'mian as National Security advisor. :rolleyes:

lemontree
05 Sep 06,, 05:30
Then it is for us - we the people - who must write to the Election Commission, to ensure that the nations political system does not become a mockery.

Tronic
05 Sep 06,, 12:33
exactly.... so whose going to do it??? no one.... cuz we all are spectators in our own nation and start crying out loud when you need to criticize someone... Don't blame the Indian system people, blame yourselves, the Indian system is in this state because we decide to neglect it and decide to let the local goons make the decisions for us...

indianguy4u
05 Sep 06,, 14:21
Encounter kar do yaar!!!

SLASH
05 Sep 06,, 14:31
If he does contest elections,the chances of him winning are really high. The palce where he is going to contest election is a minority dominated region (Ansari community) and Salem belongs to the same community .He's quite popular amongst the masses of that region :mad:

UP party may back gangster
Abu Salem's political ambitions might finally see light of day. BSP is said to be in talks with his Azamgarh relatives

By: By Vinod Kumar Menon

If Salem is interested in joining our political party, we will surely give him a chance. We are trying to get the best candidates to fight the coming election.’ — BSP national president Omprakash Rajbar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abu Salem may contest the 2007 Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh on a Bhartiya Samaj Party (BSP) ticket. And this role is for real. Out of the many roles the dreaded gangster enacted to evade the police, this new one as politician will grant him police protection. Salem will fight from Mubarakpur, which is 50 kms from his hometown Sarai Meer in Azamgarh. MiD DAYwas the first to report his political ambitions in March 2006.
Now BSP (not Uma Bharati's) is said to be seriously considering Salem. The party's symbol is a walking stick.
Dr S Taki, a close relative of Salem, based in Azamgarh, UP said that BSP party worker Raghu Raj Singh had approached them with the proposal a few weeks ago.
"I do not know much about politics, but since ours is a democratic country. I feel Salem has every right to contest the election, if a political party is willing to back him," said Taki.
When asked to reveal more on the party's plan for Salem's campaign, Taki refused to answer, saying matters were at a premature stage and things were being sorted out at a party high command level. He also said they were had been talking to Salem's lawyer in Mumbai, Ashok Sarogi.
Yesterday, the Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswamy announced that the elections to the assemblies of Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Punjab and Manipur would be held before March 17, 2007.
Sarogi confirmed his client was a key contestant for BSP. Salem is likely to contest the election from the Mubarakpur Vidhan Sabha constituency in Azamgarh district, a minority dominated area. Eighty per cent of the population is the Ansari community and most of them make Banarasi saris. As Salem is an Ansari himself, there are high chances that they will vote for him en masse.
Abu Zaffar, a Samajwadi party worker from Azamgarh did not seem to know about the BSP plan, but said it was possible because the locals were of Salem's caste and Salem is quite popular amongst them.
Omprakash Rajbar, national president of BSP, formed the new party during the 2002 elections. Out of the 10 Assembly constituency seats in Azamgarh district, the Bahujan Samajwadi Party won five, Samajwadi party won four and Congress one. The BSP did not win any seats but gained votes from the Rajbar community, gaining popularity in the area, explained Zaffar.
BSP is keen to introduce Salem against Bahujan Samajwadi Party leader Ram Yadav alias Kareli, who won the last election from Mubarakpur constituency.
Meanwhile the Special Task Force (STF) Lucknow is closely monitoring post election situation in Uttar Pradesh. Senior Superintendent of Police (STF), Lucknow Rajesh Pande says, "This is an unheard of political party in Uttar Pradesh, but our inquires have revealed that BSP has indeed been formed in Azamgarh and is slowly gaining in popularity".
BSP party national president Omprakash Rajbar told Sunday MiD DAY that he didn't rule out the possibility that his party workers had been talking to Salem's relatives in Azamgarh.
He added, "If Salem is interested in joining our political party, we will surely give him a chance. We are trying to get the best candidates to fight the coming election."
However, when asked why he was giving a ticket to someone who had pending cases against him, Rajbar did an about-turn saying that his party was keen to have candidates with a clean image. He refused to explain himself.
According to Sarogi, Rajbar himself spoke to them a fortnight ago and was keen to have Salem in his BSP party. In fact, Rajbar even spoke to Sarogi on Friday night (August 25, 2006) to ensure that Salem did not retract his decision of joining BSP.
When Sunday MiD DAY told Sarogi that Rajbar was having second thoughts, Sarogi said, "Rajbar is playing safe and does not want to open his cards before the media till the nomination papers are filed."
Sarogi even claimed that all the expenses of Salem's election campaign would be taken care of by BSP.
Maharashtra State's Chief Electoral Officer UPS Madan explaining the legal position, said, "There is no bar on an accused contesting elections till convicted by the court. But it is important that the undertrial's name is there in the electoral roles of the state failing which, he cannot file his nomination papers".
The other hindrance for Salem would have been had he given up his Indian nationality when he was staying in Portugal. But his lawyer Sarogi confirmed that while in Portugal, Salem had a resident visa in a fake name. So his Indian nationality remains intact.
Inspector General of Prisons Srikant Savarkar said, "We have not received any official communication on this. Salem's counsel may make necessary applications before the judiciary and we would do the needful as per the court directives".
Salem is presently lodged in barrack no 10 of Arthur Road jail. According to Jail Superintendent Swati Sathe, "If at all he has to file any nomination paper, it would be through me but till now we have not received any such intimation".
When asked if Salem could cast his vote, Sathe explained that undertrials and convicts could not, as per law, but those who were arrested under preventive sections could cast their vote by postal ballot.
Meanwhile if Sarogi is to be believed, he has already obtained Salem's consent and is waiting for the nomination papers soon.
http://epapers2.mid-day.com/midday/...ddate=8/27/2006

veera8
05 Sep 06,, 15:58
demo"crazy"

gilgamesh
05 Sep 06,, 16:17
Then it is for us - we the people - who must write to the Election Commission, to ensure that the nations political system does not become a mockery.

Its not within election commission's jurisdiction if the court allows him to contest.

exactly.... so whose going to do it??? no one.... cuz we all are spectators in our own nation and start crying out loud when you need to criticize someone... Don't blame the Indian system people, blame yourselves, the Indian system is in this state because we decide to neglect it and decide to let the local goons make the decisions for us...

In a democracy, people get the govt they deserve. And masses, you know, are a$$es.

Encounter kar do yaar!!!

:) Best solution in the present context. Lets rub it in further. Do it when he is canvassing amongst his fans.

lemontree
06 Sep 06,, 05:07
Its not within election commission's jurisdiction if the court allows him to contest.

Then let's all write to the Chief Justice of India.

gilgamesh
06 Sep 06,, 05:19

Why not? Can we have a WAB petition, like the one for for that injured driver? :cool:

lemontree
06 Sep 06,, 05:34
Why not? Can we have a WAB petition, like the one for for that injured driver? :cool:
What ever? Lets request Brig Ray sir to use his eloquence in drafting such a petition. If he has the time.

SLASH
06 Sep 06,, 09:19

Its his constitutional right to contest the elections.Besides its not the first time this sought of thing is happening.Remember Arun Gawli :mad: .

lemontree
06 Sep 06,, 09:35
Its his constitutional right to contest the elections.Besides its not the first time this sought of thing is happening.Remember Arun Gawli :mad: .
Arun Gawli did not wage war against India, he was just a gangster, while Abu Salim has waged war on India by his involvement in the 1993 Bombay blasts.

Abu Salim has no constitutional rights except the use of a legal consul while he is in jail.

SLASH
06 Sep 06,, 11:46
Arun Gawli did not wage war against India, he was just a gangster, while Abu Salim has waged war on India by his involvement in the 1993 Bombay blasts.

Abu Salim has no constitutional rights except the use of a legal consul while he is in jail.

But it hasn't been proven legally. He is still an Indian citizen and has an Indian passport(among many others). Lets just hope that the media hypes it up big time so that the political party helping Salem back off. :frown:

Captain Drunk
06 Sep 06,, 14:40
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1051110

Underworld don Abu Salem likely to contest elections in UP

I once debated with a lawyer friend how underworld don-turned-politician Arun Gawli can contest the polls. He said, the man had changed, was good now and promised to
govern well and if a mass murderer Saul could become a converted St. Paul, surely Gawli should have a chance too. I agreed and didn't want to argue, that lawyer was my family lawyer.

gilgamesh
06 Sep 06,, 14:59
I once debated with a lawyer friend how underworld don-turned-politician Arun Gawli can contest the polls. He said, the man had changed, was good now and promised to
govern well and if a mass murderer Saul could become a converted St. Paul, surely Gawli should have a chance too. I agreed and didn't want to argue, that lawyer was my family lawyer.

First, Salem should pay his dues to the society, ie. get punished for his crimes, which would of course be death penalty. Then he can choose between 72 virgins and Uttar Pradesh. Only a homo would choose UP.

gilgamesh
02 Oct 06,, 03:40
Victims' kin enraged over Afzal plea

New Delhi: Amid growing demands for clemency for Mohammed Afzal Guru, facing execution for his role in the 2001 attack on Parliament, the kin of security personnel killed in the terrorist strike say they feel "cheated" by those seeking a pardon for him.

Sunder Singh Patel, the son of Delhi Police Head Constable Ghanshayam Patel who lost his life, said, "After seeing the support from human rights and political groups for a terrorist, we feel cheated."

"This is not what my father laid down his life for," said 27-year-old Sunder.

A shocked Awdesh Kumar, whose wife Kamlesh Kumari, a CRPF constable, was also killed in the attack, said, "He (Guru) was involved in the attack of Parliament. His role was established and the trial took place from a lower court to the Supreme Court. Now why all of a sudden, the human rights groups and political parties have started raising their voice?."

Kamlesh was awarded Ashok Chakra, the highest civilian award for bravery.

"I can't believe it when I see and read that even political parties and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad have been favouring clemency for Guru," Kumar told PTI over phone from Kanauj in Uuttar Pradesh.

He said that he felt proud that he was the husband of Kamlesh, but if clemency is granted, "I will regret that she wasted her life."

The 42-year-old Kumar, who has been single handedly raising his two daughters Jyoti and Shweta after Kamlesh was killed by militants on December 13, 2001, also wondered why so many human rights groups were seeking clemency for Guru.

"I simply wonder where they were when my wife was killed, leaving a daughter in my lap...crying," said an emotional Kumar, adding, "Today Mehbooba Mufti, a partner with Congress, is siding with him. I want to know did she ever bother about my daughter who became an indirect victim of the terrorists."

Somvati Devi, the widow of Patel who was awarded the Kirti Chakra, the second highest civilian award for bravery, said any move to grant clemency to Guru or convert his death sentence would be an insult to all the security personnel who laid down their lives for the nation.

Her elder son Bachhu Singh, said, "He (Guru) should be hanged publicly so that it would act as a deterent to all those who want to harm my country."

Kamlesh and Patel were among the nine persons who died while protecting the Parliament from the audacious attack of militants.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/clemency-to-afzal-a-disgrace-kin-of-dec-13-victims/22909-3.html

Mehbooba Mufti should be assasinated.

Ray
02 Oct 06,, 04:07
Technically, we cannot stop him from standing for election.

But we can sure thorugh electioneering ensure he is defeated. High vigilance will be required to ensure that he does not use muscle and money power.

Lemontree,

Give me the points and I shall write the petition. You are very good at research. You took the winds off my sails with that excellent article on Malaysia to put Xplorer in his place!

gilgamesh
31 Oct 06,, 13:24
Anybody know what's happening in this case? Why was he released? Was he proven innocent?
‘Butcher of Pandits’ back in Kashmir hometown

Ishfaq-ul-Hassan
Friday, October 27, 2006 22:39 IST

Bitta Karatay got a rousing welcome after being granted bail

SRINAGAR: He was dreaded as the ‘butcher of Pandits’, and after 16 years of custody, Bitta Karatay, the dreaded militant of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) is back to haunt migrant Kashmiri pandits once again.

Farooq Ahmad Dar alias Bitta Karatay was released on bail after being arrested in 1990.

According to Kashmiri pandits, Bitta was responsible for the killing of more than 30 pandits in 1990 creating a fear psychosis among the minuscule minority community and triggering their mass migration from the Kashmir valley.

Bitta’s bail came close on the heels of the Supreme Court’s decision to quash his detention under Public Safety Act.

Around 56,148 pandit families migrated from Kashmir since the onset of militancy in 1990. Of these 34,690 families are living in Jammu, 19,338 in Delhi and 2,120 families in other parts of the country.

“It is shocking for us that a man who publicly proclaimed to have killed 42 Kashmiri Pandits has gone scot-free. It is also an irony that Afzal Guru was sentenced to death in the Parliament attack case though he was not personally present there, yet the man who admitted to have killed Pandits has walked free,” regretted Dr Agnishekhar, convener of Panun Kashmir, a body of migrant Kashmiri pandits.

What has made the Kashmiri Pandits angry is the state’s “failure” to try Bitta for his crimes.

“It is highly regretful that the state government did not take steps to try the man responsible for killing of pandits. I can only pray for the people at helm and advise them not to play with the emotions of Kashmiri pandits”, said /R TN Khosa, president of Kashmiri Pandit Sabha.

On the other side, Karatay was given a rousing reception in his locality at Guru Bazaar here. He was brought in a procession by JKLF (Javid Mir faction) to his area where around 200 people showered flower petals and confetti at him.

Bitta addressed his supporters and paid homage to his militant colleagues who were killed by the security forces during the last 16 years. Bitta, in his new role as political leader, supported the Indo-Pak dialogue and appealed to the leaders of both the countries to resolve the Kashmir issue.

JKLF leader Javid Mir said Bitta’s release was the victory of Kashmiri people, who have given umpteen sacrifices for achieving their goal.

“Bitta’s patience and resilience has won him accolades. Jail has not dented his love for the movement and he wants to take it the logical conclusion”, he said.

The Link:
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1060576

lemontree
01 Nov 06,, 10:21
So what is stopping a Kashmiri pundit or a relative of the 30 odd victims from returning the favour to this bumpkin?

gilgamesh
01 Nov 06,, 11:27
So what is stopping a Kashmiri pundit or a relative of the 30 odd victims from returning the favour to this bumpkin?

If that is a diatribe againist the Pandit, I am afraid there is some grain of truth in what you say, IF, the govt had allowed Pandits to arm themselves sufficiently. However, Indian govt does not encourage such policies.

It is unwilling to share its law enforcement responsibilities with citizenry, and in the current circumstances, rightfully so(Chattisgarh as an example).

However, I highly doubt if Pandits are capable of taking up arms by themselves and fight even if allowed to.

lemontree
01 Nov 06,, 12:15
If that is a diatribe againist the Pandit, I am afraid there is some grain of truth in what you say, IF, the govt had allowed Pandits to arm themselves sufficiently. However, Indian govt does not encourage such policies.

It is unwilling to share its law enforcement responsibilities with citizenry, and in the current circumstances, rightfully so(Chattisgarh as an example).

However, I highly doubt if Pandits are capable of taking up arms by themselves and fight even if allowed to.
On the contrary, there are Village Defence Committees's (VDCs) or Village Defence Platoons (VDPs). The Govt. arms and pays (albet a measly amount) the members of these groups.

The VDP/ VDC memebrs are trained by the local army unit in basic musketry.

The Kashmiri pundit has to enforce his voice in the valley, and the only way it will be head is through the barrel of the gun.

667medic
01 Nov 06,, 12:22
The Kashmiri pundit has to enforce his voice in the valley, and the only way it will be head is through the barrel of the gun.

Sir, wouldn't that lead to Civil War, atleast now it's just pak sponsored terrorism, can hit back the enemy in a different manner....

lemontree
01 Nov 06,, 13:32
Sir, wouldn't that lead to Civil War, atleast now it's just pak sponsored terrorism, can hit back the enemy in a different manner....
Civil war takes place only when the populations are polarized, I only propagate punishing those who committed genocide and escaped conviction due to a number of fluid factors.