PDA

View Full Version : Question Mark on United Nations Dignity...

vishnuanand
01 Sep 06,, 10:44
I have read a very good article today titled “Should the UN be taken seriously?” and I totally agree with the words of Shoeb Hamid, an author of this article. According to him “The UN has become a puppet in the hands of privileged nations. The decisions taken by it in the recent past prove that it is susceptible to external pressures.”

Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN, can’t just beat the culprits out. It is not a free enterprise, independent of external pressures. Consider this - 22 per cent of its finances are payable by America. Money plays an important role in the decisions taken by the UN.

In the current form, what you think does United Nations really helpful for a global peace? How much United Nations is effective in following issues (Urgent for global peace?)

• Nuclear Disarmament (Great threat for human being)
• Poverty (Faced by third world countries)
• Regional Issues (have global threat) & so on….

Does UN still have a role on world peace? Shoeb Hamid supported the term United Nations but with little modification. It should be the United Privileged Nations instead of United Nations. So, what do you think? Should it be really the “United Privileged Nations” instead of “United Nations”?
>> Link of his article (http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=123383&catID=1&category=World&rtFlg=rtFlg)

HistoricalDavid
01 Sep 06,, 19:09
22 per cent of its finances are payable by America.

As far as I know, that's about the same percentage of the world's GDP that is attributable to America.

Face it, if it funded 10% of the UN, people like you would complain that America is not 'paying its fair share'...

highsea
01 Sep 06,, 19:50
...The decisions taken by it in the recent past prove that it is susceptible to external pressures.” I can certainly agree with that, the UN cut of the Oil For Food Program paid the entire budget for several years, and Saddam had half of the UN eating out of his hand with kickbacks (including the Secretary General).

"United Nations Dignity" is an oxymoron.