Clerics call insurance policies un-Islamic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clerics call insurance policies un-Islamic

Thursday, August 31, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Clerics call insurance policies un-Islamic

LUCKNOW: One of South Asia’s most influential Islamic seminaries has issued an edict telling Muslims not to buy life insurance policies because they violate Islamic law. Clerics at the Dar-ul-Uloom seminary said Muslims should not invest in life insurance as “life is given by God and to insure it or assure it, is a crime in the eyes of God.” “A true Muslim should never ever go for life insurance policies. This is against the wishes of God,” Maulana Shahid Rehan, a senior cleric at the seminary, told The Associated Press on Wednesday. Dar-ul-Uloom is in the town of Deoband, about 130 kilometers north of the capital, New Delhi, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. The edict was issued early this month following a query from a Muslim resident of Lucknow, Saleem Chisti. Chisti said he had been approached by a private company to become an insurance agent and to buy insurance policies for himself and his wife. “I thought it prudent to ask Deoband before agreeing to the proposal,” said Chisti, a Sunni Muslim. The edict from the seminary, issued on August 7, said: “Insurance is not permissible because it is a sort of gambling. Moreover, it also involves interest money which is illegal under Shariat”. While Sunni Muslims welcomed the religious directive, Shia Muslims say the decree is not binding on them because Dar-ul-Uloom is a Sunni institution. Maulana Kalbe Sadiq, a Shia Muslim cleric, said insurance is not illegal for Shia Muslims because there is no edict against it. ap
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...1-8-2006_pg7_7
    Apparently, the Shias know what is good for their people and so they would not obey this edit (fatwa).

However, one can't fault the Deobandis because the interpretation is Quaranic.

High time there was an Ijtihad so that these type of weirdo interpretations that are totally out of synch with the modern world is removed.

If insurance is not taken, then the families will suffer immensely. No wonder they remain poor. And then they blame the government, society and everyone else but themselves.

Who can help such people?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

BS people say BS stuff... obviously not all muslims are going to follow what he says... btw, why does everyone stereotype muslims as being poor?? What are the statistics of the number of poor muslims vs the number of middle class/upper class muslims in India???
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Technically, a good Christian wouldn't buy insurance either. Not that he doesn't trust in god, but insurance is a form of gambling and gambling is not good. :)
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Do of majority Indian Muslims give a damn about all these Fatwas issued by Mullahs? Even charging intrest for a loan is also unislamic. I can't recall any of the banks giving intrest free loans to Muslims or Muslims having their own bank in India ;) .

Comment

Originally posted by kams
          Do of majority Indian Muslims give a damn about all these Fatwas issued by Mullahs? Even charging intrest for a loan is also unislamic. I can't recall any of the banks giving intrest free loans to Muslims or Muslims having their own bank in India ;) .
          lol... like I said... BS people say BS stuff... most of the muslims in India don't give a hoot about these monkeys... remember the fatwa issued over Sania Mirza??? well... that didn't change her from wearing short shorts and tight tops...
          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
            Technically, a good Christian wouldn't buy insurance either. Not that he doesn't trust in god, but insurance is a form of gambling and gambling is not good. :)
            Its not a gamble by ensuring security for ones assests or life. If the earning member of the house dies suddenly, insurance is a great source of financial support for the family.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Gunnut,

Tongue in cheek? :)

Why only a Christian, anyone hopefully would not gamble! ;)

But Insurance is not taken, then one is gambling with the future of his loved ones! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
              X