X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survivor: Segregation Island

NYC No Fan of "Survivor: Segregation Island" By Gina Serpe
    1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Who would've thought reinstituting segregation would cause such controversy? Oh, right. Everyone but the producers of Survivor.

A group of New York City officials and civil rights groups have blasted CBS' announcement that it has split the contestants on Survivor: Cook Islands into tribes by race, claiming the producers' decision to pit blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics against each other during the early rounds of the show would only promote divisiveness among competitors and viewers alike.
    Really? So people in the real world don't gather with the people they feel comfortable with?

"This idea is so ill-conceived that it would be funny--but for the fact that racism does still sometimes rear its ugly head," city councilman John Liu said at a press conference Friday. "This show has the potential to set back our nation's race relations by 50 years.
    Wow, a TV show with low ratings can do all that?

"Nowhere else do we tolerate racial segregation and we certainly won't stand for it in this battle-of-the-races scheme to prop up sagging television ratings."
    I love the left. "We will not tolerate intolerance!!!"

Liu claimed the show's divisive premise would do nothing but promote the spread of negative stereotypes based on the actions of the different tribes, something that, just two days after the announcement, is already an issue.

Right-wing mouthpiece Rush Limbaugh, always keen to wax bluntly on delicate subjects, took to handicapping the new season on his radio show Wednesday.

Hispanics, he said, "have shown a remarkable ability to cross borders" and "will do things other people won't do." Asians, per Limbaugh, are "the best at espionage, keeping secrets." Blacks "lack buoyancy" and are "more likely to drown," while the white man's burden will weigh down the last team with "guilt over the fact that they run things."

So much for breaking stereotypes.
    The author of this article obviously missed the joke.

Liu, an Asian-American, is hoping to head off any more grandiose and ill-informed statements at the pass, launching a campaign for CBS to pull the season, or at least the season's concept, from the air. (The latter is a nonstarter, since the show has already been shot.) He's teaming up with the council's Black, Latino and Asian Caucus to urge the network to rethink the questionable gimmick, beginning with a rally at New York's City Hall earlier today.
    Black, Latino, and Asian Caucus, you say? That's odd. Won't these segregation set back race relations by 50 years in this country?

"This is not the type of premise that promotes unity," council member Robert Jackson said at the Friday press conference. "This show does not foster an environment that is conducive to diversity."
    Says he in the "black caucus."

Caucus cochair Maria del Carmen Arroyo agreed, saying that Survivor's producers didn't realize the impact of their programming decision.

"CBS has demonstrated great lapse in judgment. As a society, we need to hold corporations responsible for their actions," councilwoman Melissa Mark Viverito said.

The caucus has already earned the support of likeminded advocacy groups. The leader of Hispanics Across America told Reuters the new season of Survivor was "not reality TV--it's racist TV."

"Moreover, the participants will be held to the daunting and unfair challenge of representing an entire race of people," HAA founder Fernando Mateo said, adding that the stunt was an "offensive and cheap trick."

"What will it mean for a team--a race--to fail in a battle of wits and strength against another race?"

For its part, CBS defended the decision to segregate the tribes based on ethnicity and denied claims it was an incendiary twist designed to grab headlines and ratings--both of which the show, having dropped to a franchise-low average of 16.8 million viewers last season, is in need of. The powers-that-be instead insist the stunt was the next logical step in a series that made its name on exploring social politics.

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the network said in a statement. "Survivor is a program that is no stranger to controversy and has always answered its critics on the screen."

Last season for instance, the contestants were initially split into four tribes consisting of the oldest men, the oldest women, the youngest men and the youngest women. The groups eventually merged into two mixed teams and eventually one tribe.

On Tuesday, when he first announced this season's segregation on CBS' Early Show, host Jeff Probst said that the contestants had "mixed reactions" about the division.

Probst also claimed that, controversial as the premise was turning out to be, the idea to divide its cast was well intentioned.

"The idea for this actually came from the criticism that Survivor was not ethnically diverse enough, because for whatever reason, we always have a low number of minority applicants apply for the show," Probst said.

Inadvertently or not, the producers of Survivor do appear to have contributed to the cause of racial unity. Thanks to the division, all ethnicities seem to have united--in their opposition to the show.

Survivor: Cook Islands kicks off Sept. 14.
    Good job people. All that free publicity for a failing TV show on a failing network. Who's the dumb ass here?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060825/en_tv_eo/19855
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

My money is on the darkies in the physical events and the yellow fellows in the intellectual events.

If they had a 'dominate the world via evil manipulation' event the whiteboys would dominate.

Comment

White Power!

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        My money is on the darkies in the physical events and the yellow fellows in the intellectual events.

If they had a 'dominate the world via evil manipulation' event the whiteboys would dominate.
        Nuts!

and where does it leave the rest of the rainbow?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Yeah, the Asians will win. I don't think the blacks will do particularly well in any event; they will have poor teamwork and will lack the brains. The Asians will be crafty. The whites will probably all be chosen because theyre well-to-do, college aged people and will be over confident/stupid.

Comment

Lol....

Comment

Personally I think the show will be as instructive as a quick surf on the internet is in exposing the not so hidden undercurrents of virulent racism.

Comment

He's teaming up with the council's Black, Latino and Asian Caucus to urge the network to rethink the questionable gimmick, beginning with a rally at New York's City Hall earlier today.
                Don't they have a 'white" Caucus
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                  Don't they have a 'white" Caucus
                  *gasp* That's racist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                    *gasp* That's racist!!!
                    Lol, of course, I forgot, only us white fellas can be racist...
                    But wait, I've got what my English in-laws call "a suspicious tan", I CAN'T be racist
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

this show sounds fun to watch... I gotta get my sattelite back... lol...

oh yea, and btw... Brown Power!!!!
                      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                        Lol, of course, I forgot, only us white fellas can be racist...
                        But wait, I've got what my English in-laws call "a suspicious tan", I CAN'T be racist

That 'suspicious tan" must be the envy of the "white" Caucus!

I find it most amusing to see whites, practically nude, on the beaches working so hard to get a tan and Asian spending good money on bogus Fairness creams!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

You know how the old saying goes: grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Comment

Too much of sun gives cancers, especially to whites since they lack malanin.

That is the popular theory.

Anyone knows more about it?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                            X