PDA

View Full Version : Pluto is no longer a planet

Wraith601
24 Aug 06,, 17:49
The IAU stripped Pluto of its planetary status yesterday at its conference in Prague.

Pluto (http://news.yahoo.com/fc/science/astronomy_and_space)

highsea
24 Aug 06,, 19:45
Good! We didn't need that little piss-ant wannabe in our little club anyway.

F*ckin pluto anyway, biggest leach of the Solar System. Hasn't contributed a damn thing.

Good Riddance, Pluto, you f*ckin ASTEROID!

HAHAHAHAHAHA. :biggrin:

Akshay
25 Aug 06,, 01:23
F*CK!! This is why I always hated geography as a subject in school. Always knew it was wrong.

TopHatter
25 Aug 06,, 01:48
Well, you can still call it a "dwarf planet".

Gun Grape
25 Aug 06,, 02:10
The IAU stripped Pluto of its planetary status yesterday at its conference in Prague.

But he is still a dog. Right???

Bill
25 Aug 06,, 04:05

The gayest move ever.

F*CK!! This is why I always hated geography as a subject in school. Always knew it was wrong.

Um, geography?

LOL...

THL
25 Aug 06,, 04:14
but are the planets part of geography? i remember (way back when) making maps of countries, but i never had to make a map of a planet. i thought they were taught in science class.

THL
25 Aug 06,, 04:19
Well, you can still call it a "dwarf planet".
They are not "dwarfs" - the politically correct term is now "little person" (I googled it) and so it would be a "little planet".

Get with the program TH

Bill
25 Aug 06,, 04:47
Fucck that program miss.

PC is as stupid as demoting planets. :biggrin:

lemontree
25 Aug 06,, 08:18
Earlier we learned the planet names by rymes
Then - "My very educated mother just showed us nine planets".....
Now - "My very educated mother just showed us nothing or said nothing" :)

SnowLeopard
25 Aug 06,, 08:29
Earlier we learned the planet names by rymes
Then - "My very educated mother just showed me nine planets".....
Now - "My very educated mother just showed me nothing or said nothing" :)

Okay, I bite. What planet is associated with "me"? Is there a new name for Uranus as well?
----------------------------------------------
("Let's talk about ME!"--lyrics, (wtte), Tobey Keith)

lemontree
25 Aug 06,, 10:59
Okay, I bite. What planet is associated with "me"? Is there a new name for Uranus as well?
----------------------------------------------

Oops, my mistake, it should have been "us" and not "me". I'll correct it.

PubFather
25 Aug 06,, 13:12
Well, we didnt owe Pluto anything anyway... I mean, what have the Plutonians ever done for us??

SnowLeopard
25 Aug 06,, 13:51
Well, we didnt owe Pluto anything anyway... I mean, what have the Plutonians ever done for us??

They waved good bye as our deep space probes left the solar system.
-------------------------------------------------
("The Earthlings are very much like us only they don't wear any clothes."--Two Juptians examining the message plaque of a crashed Pioneer spacecraft, (w,stte), editorial cartoon of time)

Akshay
25 Aug 06,, 15:06
but are the planets part of geography? i remember (way back when) making maps of countries, but i never had to make a map of a planet. i thought they were taught in science class.

Early description of Solar System was included in the geography textbooks and with the common exam.

Sea Toby
25 Aug 06,, 19:55
I think the astronomers finally got it right. With the recent discoveries of dozens of Kupier Belt objects large enough to be spherical in shape, a new definiton was badly needed. The added definition phrase of clearing its orbit of similar sized objects was needed. Unfortuantely, Pluto lost its planet status. A new category of dwarf planets makes sense.

Pluto belonged to the Kupier Belt more than it does with the rest of the classical planets. Since it doesn't have a rock molden or otherwise in its center like the other planets, its not even a rock. Its an iceball very common with the rest of the Kupier Belt.

Jay
25 Aug 06,, 22:37
Intrestingly, in Indian traditional astrology, Pluto is not considered as a planet.

Now, beat that :biggrin:

gunnut
25 Aug 06,, 22:45

We used it to bomb Hiroshima. Wait...that's plutonium...

gunnut
25 Aug 06,, 22:57
I think demoting Pluto is a Microsoft conspiracy.

Think about it, now we have 8 planets + 3 "little" planets, Ceres, Pluto, and Xena.

MS DOS uses the 8.3 naming format.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

highsea
25 Aug 06,, 23:38
Gunnut, You've uncovered the scheme to get everyone to pay for a new Encarta update. We're sorry, but now you have to die.... :tongue:

joey2
26 Aug 06,, 17:26
Intrestingly, in Indian traditional astrology, Pluto is not considered as a planet.

Now, beat that :biggrin:

hehe yeah so true.... and yeah plutos orbit is weird and the forces with su is not the dominating factor .. can u guys believe 245 years a revoltion :o lol.
upto saturn is what it counts in ancient indian astrology afaik. :) and its quite predictable guys happended as far as i have seen through my life.

ArmchairGeneral
04 Sep 06,, 07:56
We strongly resent that remark. :mad:

Confed999
04 Sep 06,, 14:34
A rose by any other name...

How many more years before our probe gets to Pluto? (If it gets there?)

ronjon
05 Sep 06,, 04:19
hey guys... sorry but how can set a picture in my profile?

Parihaka
05 Sep 06,, 04:29
hey guys... sorry but how can set a picture in my profile?
Top left of screen is "user CP". click on this then click edit "avatar". you can upload a picture from your computer or link to one from the web, as long as they are smaller than 125 x 125 pixels.

gunnut
05 Sep 06,, 06:31
A rose by any other name...

How many more years before our probe gets to Pluto? (If it gets there?)

I thought we had at least 1 maybe more fly-bys already. To insert a probe into Pluto's orbit has never been done before.

Confed999
05 Sep 06,, 15:26
I thought we had at least 1 maybe more fly-bys already. To insert a probe into Pluto's orbit has never been done before.
Yes, it's a fly-by probe. It should arrive in 2015, after a fly-by of Jupiter, and then continue onward looking for more objects beyond Pluto. :)

Oh, and the "New Horizons" probe will be the first to come this close to Pluto. ;)

667medic
06 Sep 06,, 08:20
Yeah yeah rub it on, this place is full of foking racists :mad:
Glad that Mr.Moore is standing up to you foking neo-cons, eat this yo losers.....
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9953/plutolm5.th.png (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plutolm5.png)

bandwagon
06 Sep 06,, 09:20
To insert a probe into Pluto's orbit has never been done before.But do you know if anyone has ever inserted a probe into Uranus?

What. A perfectly reasonable question in the interest of scientific exploration.

Parihaka
06 Sep 06,, 19:50
I guess somebody had to say it :rolleyes:

Srirangan
27 Sep 06,, 09:49
Well that does it. They have insulted my prophet for the last time. I declare a fatwa against the Anti-Ploto Crusaders and I call for a Jehad. Dajjal will be defeated by my Jehad.

Pluto-hoo-Akbar!!!

hello
28 Sep 06,, 01:27
Yeah yeah rub it on, this place is full of foking racists :mad:
Glad that Mr.Moore is standing up to you foking neo-cons, eat this yo losers.....
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9953/plutolm5.th.png (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plutolm5.png)

Lack of Federal Funding leads to Downsizing of the Solar System?

Freezing temperatures, Vacuum, Darkness gave Pluto No Chance: Most Dwarfs will not survive harsh winter?

For about 2 seconds, I thought that was real. :biggrin:

hello
28 Sep 06,, 01:29

Nope, no flybys yet. The Voyager and Pioneer probes all missed Pluto.

omon
04 Nov 06,, 04:51
Lets hope they are not gonna change earth to a damn asteroid

gunnut
04 Nov 06,, 08:33
But do you know if anyone has ever inserted a probe into Uranus?

What. A perfectly reasonable question in the interest of scientific exploration.

I think everyone wants to insert a probe into Uranus...

What? That was a perfectly legitimate answer.