Iowa class Battleship Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa class Battleship Issues

There have been several comments made as to the gunnery tests and other tests aboard the Iowa class battleships through out the years and this thread is established to air these thoughts and establish wether they are myth or fact.

One prior comment states that the guns on the Iowa's at one point were fired dead ahead and dead astern causing damage to certain listed structures.

That was the exact intention of NSWC.

That was so much fun with USS New Jersey that they also did it with USS Iowa in August 1985.

They even shattered USS Iowa's basketball backstop
    Ok as far as New Jersey (BB62) goes these "tests" were conducted but to correct the idea they relay is by saying New Jerseys guns were not fired dead ahead or dead astern causing the damage to movie shack. New Jersey's movie shack on the aft deck damage did come from the concusion of the 16" guns. However the damage caused to the movie shack was caused by Turret #3 Rifle #1 (Looking at the stern turret #3 Rifle #1 this would be the rifle to the far right viewed from outside the turret) The test assumed worst case senerio in which Turret #3 was rotated approximately 15 degrees from centerline of the ship and thus would bring Turret #3 Rifle#1 closest to said movie shack inflicting the damage incurred.

When I questioned several gentlemen onboard (USN) that was onboard during those tests they confirmed that Turret #3 was rotated 15 degrees from centerline of the ship and the concussion for Rifle#1 (16"/50) had inflicted the damage (caved in the port side/cracked I beams etc.. He/they went further to state that had all rifles (including 2&3) fired at the same time (reality hundreds of a second apart to allow for recoil) instead of just one rifle the movie shack likely would have been crushed like a tin can if not blown clear off the aft deck due a much more powerful three gun concusion. Thats what is exactly stated by these gentlemen.

Was this the case with the others?...I can surely state that I dont know it may have been but as far as New Jersey is concerned this was not the case as stated by those present at that time.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Aug 06,, 16:44.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

You giving tours yet Dread?

I want to come visit you one day once you're up and running on the Jersey. :)

Comment

Final next week so long as I pass I recieve the brass and then im ready to go. :)
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Aug 06,, 16:08.

Comment

Awesome bro. Lemme know. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          Awesome bro. Lemme know. :)
          You got it bro. :)

Comment

The below picture demonstrates the approximate angle (15^ from centerline New Jersey's Turret#3 Rifle #1 position during those firing tests in the 80's that damaged the movie shack among other damage. Note Rifle#1 being the far left from this angle. Also note this pic was taken during the Vietnam campaign.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Aug 06,, 17:48.

Comment

Another showing the damage. The caption to this picture reads...That's our Guide Dave pointing out blast damage from the shockwave of the main gun. During a firing test the aft turret was not turned far enough to the side. The result was that the concussion of the blast buckled the side of this work shack on the deck

Note. There is no mention of a dead stern shot which reinforces the facts refered to me by the USN gentlemen aboard New Jersey. And the location of the damage. Rifle #1 being in the far right in this image. The rifle would have had to have been rotated atleast 15^ in order to cause the damage shown in this picture.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Aug 06,, 17:58.

Comment

Apropos of nothing, I thought this shot of USS North Carolina might be interesting:
                Attached Files
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yes a very interesting shot there TH, you very rarely ever see that shot. A Navsource image i assume? Notice the water flattening infront of the 16/45's Im actually hoping to get down to see her in the fall.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Aug 06,, 20:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                    A Navsource image i assume?
                    Yep, via the National Archives.

Navsource is so freakin cool.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I could have sworn those types of shots - inline with the ship - were banned?
                      HD Ready?

Comment

On New Jersey, those over the bow (over turret I blowing off the bucklers) and off centerline on turret III damaging the helo ops (former movie booth) shack were done during special tests conducted by Dahlgren. Of course I know the names of the people that suggested those angles, but they're friends of mine and I want them to enjoy their retirements in peace.

At one time in the past, a similar shot had been done with turret III on Missouri and the movie booth was so badly damaged and rusted out (when we ship checked her for reactivation) that I had a new one designed out of thicker and stronger steel. Only Missouri got the newer and tougher shack.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                          On New Jersey, those over the bow (over turret I blowing off the bucklers) and off centerline on turret III damaging the helo ops (former movie booth) shack were done during special tests conducted by Dahlgren. Of course I know the names of the people that suggested those angles, but they're friends of mine and I want them to enjoy their retirements in peace.

At one time in the past, a similar shot had been done with turret III on Missouri and the movie booth was so badly damaged and rusted out (when we ship checked her for reactivation) that I had a new one designed out of thicker and stronger steel. Only Missouri got the newer and tougher shack.
                          Hey Mr.L good to see you back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                            Hey Mr.L good to see you back.
                            Thank you. Been back (sort of) for a while and peeking in on the board once in a while. Too busy taking care of wife now in a full cast and $3,000.00 worth of Titanium bars and screws in both her lower right leg bones.

She was released from the rehab hospital last week while I was up north inspecting the Battleship Iowa for a museum group. Please don't ask for a report yet as I haven't even started my official report for the group.

I can tell you one thing, however; As ships get older, the ladders shrink in length and to reach from deck to deck they get at least 30% steeper. Or maybe 50%.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                              Thank you. Been back (sort of) for a while and peeking in on the board once in a while. Too busy taking care of wife now in a full cast and $3,000.00 worth of Titanium bars and screws in both her lower right leg bones.

She was released from the rehab hospital last week while I was up north inspecting the Battleship Iowa for a museum group. Please don't ask for a report yet as I haven't even started my official report for the group.

I can tell you one thing, however; As ships get older, the ladders shrink in length and to reach from deck to deck they get at least 30% steeper. Or maybe 50%.

I can say that we had a museum group on New Jersey approximately two weeks ago to see how we run things. Local rumor held they were there from the group interested in managing the Iowa but that is unconfirmed.

*P.S Best to your wife I hope shes doing better.

Comment

Working...
                              X