PDA

View Full Version : Row over Hitler-themed restaurant

Neo
22 Aug 06,, 21:18
Row over Hitler-themed restaurant

By Monica Chadha
BBC News, Mumbai

The Jewish community in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) is outraged by a new restaurant named after Adolf Hitler.

The restaurant, Hitler's Cross, opened last week in the city's outskirts, initially displaying a giant poster of Hitler at the entrance.

The 5,000-strong Jewish community say they were insulted and want the owner to change the name of the restaurant.

The restaurant owner says the poster has been taken down but he told the BBC that he would keep the name.

The Chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, Jonathan Solomon, said the community was outraged and insulted.

"How can anybody think of naming a restaurant after a perpetrator of such heinous crimes against humanity?

"We would be definitely explaining to him our hurt and the wrong of his action, and hoping that he would agree to change the name of his restaurant."

'Very amused'

The owner of the restaurant, Puneet Sabhlok told the BBC he was "very sorry" but he would not be changing the name of his restaurant.

The owner says a guest put up the poster
"My customers are not complaining about the name, they are very amused by it," he said.

"Just like Hitler wanted to conquer the world, I want to conquer at least my area through the food served in my restaurant."

Mr Sabhlok also said he was not promoting Hitler in any manner as he did not have any pictures of the German Nazi leader or decor related to him.

When questioned about press photographs of a huge Hitler poster at the front door, Mr Sabhlok said it was put up by one of the 700 invitees who attended the opening. "We pulled it off later," he said.

When asked about another photograph that appeared in the papers of a waiter lighting up a hookah in the restaurant with a gun-shaped lighter, he said the lighter belonged to a customer.

"There are no posters or memorabilia or even names of items on the menu that promote Hitler. I've only named it Hitler's Cross."

Members of the Jewish community are holding an urgent meeting on Wednesday to discuss the issue.

If the restaurant owner did not agree to their demand, they would appeal to the authorities to cancel his restaurant licence and lodge a police complaint, Mr Solomon said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5275866.stm

Neo
22 Aug 06,, 21:20
I wonder what's on the menu... :redface:

Ray
22 Aug 06,, 21:25
To what level people can go to make a buck!

Mr Sablock is a freak.

Sadly, there is no law which can prevent him from making an ass of himself.

If I go to the restaurant, I will order a swine and demand that the dish be named Adolf Hitler!

Heil Schwein!

Lunatock
22 Aug 06,, 21:32
To what level people can go to make a buck!

Mr Sablock is a freak.

Sadly, there is no law which can prevent him from making an ass of himself.

If I go to the restaurant, I will order a swine and demand that the dish be named Adolf Hitler!

Heil Schwein!

An entrepreneur would follow his idea.

In fact I want to get a hot dog cart and start a franchise in Philly (just for you Snipe :biggrin: ) named after Saddam Hussein, known as "Saddam Dogs"!

I could even fill a giant inflatable Saddam Hussein with helium and anchor it to the cart with a long rope. It'd make my place of business easier to find.

Ray
22 Aug 06,, 21:38
Your Saddam Dogs may turn out to be a hot seller in the US.

But Hitler does not appear correct.

I would not even support opening a Osama Pork Outlet.

Neo
22 Aug 06,, 21:54

In fact I want to get a hot dog cart and start a franchise in Philly (just for you Snipe :biggrin: ) named after Saddam Hussein, known as "Saddam Dogs"!

I could even fill a giant inflatable Saddam Hussein with helium and anchor it to the cart with a long rope. It'd make my place of business easier to find.

LOL! :biggrin:

Lunatock
22 Aug 06,, 23:35

Since I like to avoid revisionist history, and Saddam's former mistress did disclose a few secrets about him...it might actually be "saddam's cocktail wieners", but "cocktails weiners" won't appeal to very many people.

667medic
23 Aug 06,, 02:49

How about something like Saddam's Fried Nuts......

Captain Drunk
23 Aug 06,, 04:39
I wonder what's on the menu... :redface:

Pizzas, shakes and flavoured hookahs. The owners plan to open outlets all over Bombay.

lemontree
23 Aug 06,, 05:18
In today's world, no publicity is bad publicity. Looks like the owners of the restaurant got loads of free publicity. Now all he has to do is change the name and his location is already famous. :) Some guys can be so shamelessly unscrupulous.

bull
23 Aug 06,, 06:42
Mumbai too have jews!!!

Tronic
23 Aug 06,, 06:45
ofcourse...

Ray
23 Aug 06,, 12:00
Kerala, Kolkata and Mumbai have Jews.

Lt Gen Jacob is a Jew from Kolkata.

One country that has not persecuted Jews is India.

This Puneet man thus takes the cake!

I bet the Indian govt would have slammed him into jail if he had opened "Osama's Pork Outlet"!

Tronic
23 Aug 06,, 17:38
Kerala, Kolkata and Mumbai have Jews.

Lt Gen Jacob is a Jew from Kolkata.

One country that has not persecuted Jews is India.

This Puneet man thus takes the cake!

I bet the Indian govt would have slammed him into jail if he had opened "Osama's Pork Outlet"!
yet, Osama's Pork Outlet still seems less "evil" then Hitler's Cross...

Ray
23 Aug 06,, 18:35
It was the Maltese Cross.

Hitler had no cross.

However, the Jews are real cross and so am I.

It is not good to cross swords with the sentiments of some.

Poor Puneet Sablok must know.

He will solely have to bear the Cross.

http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/sinister.htm

Dreadnought
23 Aug 06,, 18:40
IMO for choosing such an alarming name given todays social structure they deserve whatever headaches they get. Perhaps they should have thought less about such a attention grabbing name and more about the quality/quanity of food they serve to insure the influx of customers and their return/reviews.

I think the name was chosen in very poor taste but thats my opinion.

Ray
23 Aug 06,, 18:48
More than poor taste, it appears that the chap is a small time businessman, who is a high school dropout.

High on business acumen, low in knowledge.

There are many like him in India.

They drive M'rutis, Assent and Assteems (Cars of India i.e. Maruti, Accent, Esteem)!

Illiterate sods with oodles of money!

One such idiot once told me that Mercedes Benz was actually an Indian car (those days Mercedes Benz were not easily available for love or money!).

He said that it was Mr Tarlochan Singh Bains who emigrated to German (for Germany) and married Ms Mercedes. They produced the car and named it Mercedes Bains!

And the bloke actually meant it!

He was a rich man but a total illiterate with confidence that money begets!

Tronic
23 Aug 06,, 19:19
and I married Ms. Skoda and Ms. Audi... so you can thank me for those cars anytime... ;) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

gunnut
23 Aug 06,, 20:12

But how about a Mohamed Pork Chop? :biggrin:

A restaruant named "Mohamed's Place" serving nothing but pork products. I think that's pretty cool, as long as you don't try to open this in a muslim country or France.

Ray
23 Aug 06,, 20:20
and I married Ms. Skoda and Ms. Audi... so you can thank me for those cars anytime... ;) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Actually, I want to buy a Skoda Octavia, but who has the money!
:biggrin:

Tronic
23 Aug 06,, 20:22
don't buy it... it has no re-sale value... or if you really want one... buy it second hand... a diesel will cost you around 6 Lakhs and a petrol will cost you about 4 Lakhs...

Ray
23 Aug 06,, 20:30
But how about a Mohamed Pork Chop? :biggrin:

A restaruant named "Mohamed's Place" serving nothing but pork products. I think that's pretty cool, as long as you don't try to open this in a muslim country or France.

Actually, at the local Mall, one of the chaps who looks after the frozen food department is a Moslem.

The sausages are of pork as also of chicken.

I knew he was a Moslem and so I started fishing into the freezer for a pork sausage packet. Seeing me trying to find a product, he asked me what I wanted and so I told him that I wanted "pork sausages".

He calmly handed one over much to be discomfort, he being a Moslem. So, I told him that it was OK and sort of grabbed it from him to lessen his blasphemy (for the want of a better word). I like the chap. He, seeing my discomfort said that it was OK. He was only touching it, he was not eating it!

I was left speechless and grateful from having been absolved of a guilt that because of me, he did something that was not as per his religious norms.

Nowadays, whenever I go to the Mall, he "tauntingly" holds aloft a packet of pork sausages and tell me that it has arrived just then just for me!

He is a real swell chap!

Chaps like him make my day since they are beyond bigotry!

Neo
23 Aug 06,, 20:36
Pizzas, shakes and flavoured hookahs. The owners plan to open outlets all over Bombay.
Ah...you've already visited the restaurant?
Live in Mumbai?
I like the smell of hookhah! :)

Neo
23 Aug 06,, 20:37
In today's world, no publicity is bad publicity. Looks like the owners of the restaurant got loads of free publicity. Now all he has to do is change the name and his location is already famous. :) Some guys can be so shamelessly unscrupulous.
Agree with LT!

Lunatock
23 Aug 06,, 23:07
How about something like Saddam's Fried Nuts......

It would just draw comparison to Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls, and that too would have a negative impact on the franchise.

gunnut
23 Aug 06,, 23:24
Actually, at the local Mall, one of the chaps who looks after the frozen food department is a Moslem.

The sausages are of pork as also of chicken.

I knew he was a Moslem and so I started fishing into the freezer for a pork sausage packet. Seeing me trying to find a product, he asked me what I wanted and so I told him that I wanted "pork sausages".

He calmly handed one over much to be discomfort, he being a Moslem. So, I told him that it was OK and sort of grabbed it from him to lessen his blasphemy (for the want of a better word). I like the chap. He, seeing my discomfort said that it was OK. He was only touching it, he was not eating it!

I was left speechless and grateful from having been absolved of a guilt that because of me, he did something that was not as per his religious norms.

Nowadays, whenever I go to the Mall, he "tauntingly" holds aloft a packet of pork sausages and tell me that it has arrived just then just for me!

He is a real swell chap!

Chaps like him make my day since they are beyond bigotry!

We need more reasonable muslims like that in the world. People who can take a joke on the chin and laugh it right off.

texasjohn
23 Aug 06,, 23:59

Ray, those just have a 2.0L engine - kinda small for an SUV right?

THL
24 Aug 06,, 01:36
I have been thinking about this today and this is what I think that I think about it....

I think that the restaurant was in bad taste (no pun in tended) however I also think that it should be ok that he opened it. I kinda think the name, Hitler's Cross, is even a little cool sounding. No matter what, someone, somewhere is always going to be offended at something that someone else is doing or saying or thinking.

Captain Drunk
24 Aug 06,, 02:58
Whoa everyone, we have a 'Nazi Liberal' in our midst......hahaha I'm just joking! ;)

THL
24 Aug 06,, 02:59
Whoa everyone, we have a 'Nazi Liberal' in our midst......hahaha I'm just joking! ;)
Damn! I have been found out! :)

Captain Drunk
24 Aug 06,, 03:02
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tronic
24 Aug 06,, 04:46
the Octavia isn't an SUV... or atleast the one that is marketed in India isn't... don't know about the rest of the world... but IMO the Accord is a much better buy then wasting your money on the Octavia... cuz Skoda likes ripping Indians off... they sell the new model Octavia's under a different name (Superb and Laura) and really jack up the prices...

lemontree
24 Aug 06,, 05:42
IMO for choosing such an alarming name given todays social structure they deserve whatever headaches they get. Perhaps they should have thought less about such a attention grabbing name and more about the quality/quanity of food they serve to insure the influx of customers and their return/reviews.
Agreed, but had he used another name, he would have to pay a bomb to publicists to feature him on page 3 as a hot spot, or would have remained as a un known joint. Now the better part of the city and the country know about the place. Free advertisment. If he has some sense the owner should apologise and rename the place, and that too will make news.

I think the name was chosen in very poor taste but thats my opinion.
Very poor taste indeed.

bull
24 Aug 06,, 06:40
don't buy it... it has no re-sale value... or if you really want one... buy it second hand... a diesel will cost you around 6 Lakhs and a petrol will cost you about 4 Lakhs...

I beg to differ here.Skoda diesel is one of the best diesel engines available in the market today.And its the only diesel sibling that matches the petrol version in performance. Mileage is too good and car is sturdy,safe and well built for Indian roads.

If u can get a hand to a good second hand car then go ahead, the car's engine wont take a beating that easily.The engines are suited for harsh treatment.

And if u get a petrol car do let me know,i can get you some performance kits to put some adrenaline back into your retd life. :biggrin:

Tronic
24 Aug 06,, 08:11
I beg to differ here.Skoda diesel is one of the best diesel engines available in the market today.And its the only diesel sibling that matches the petrol version in performance. Mileage is too good and car is sturdy,safe and well built for Indian roads.

If u can get a hand to a good second hand car then go ahead, the car's engine wont take a beating that easily.The engines are suited for harsh treatment.
yup... those are pretty much all the pro's of the car... but Accord is still more kick for the buck... and Accord also looks way more dashing then the dull Skoda... and trust me... this thing barely has a re-sale value...

And if u get a petrol car do let me know,i can get you some performance kits to put some adrenaline back into your retd life. :biggrin:
hehe... no thanks... there hasn't been one car which my brother hasn't managed to crash... performance kits would be like complementing him to keep up his crashing streak... lol... but I guess it helps us in determining which car has the highest crash rating.... :biggrin:

Dreadnought
24 Aug 06,, 14:40
Damn! I have been found out! :)

Just wait unti the interigation...... :biggrin: ;)

THL
24 Aug 06,, 17:15
Just wait unti the interigation...... :biggrin: ;)
mmmm...an interrogation...i can hardly wait

Tronic
24 Aug 06,, 17:32
I kinda think the name, Hitler's Cross, is even a little cool sounding.
yes, I defenitely find the name quite catchy aswell... lol... but I still think we should respect the Jewish community, I guess...

Ray
24 Aug 06,, 19:16

I don't want an SUV.

Fuels, Oils and Lubricants cost an arm and a leg out here.

I believe the Skoda is fuel efficient for its size.

Bull,

The forums keep me ticking even though I have given up alcoholic "tonics" to boost the heart heats!

And I don't want to join the Air Force! ;)

stone_cold
24 Aug 06,, 21:17
'Hitler' restaurant to change name

BOMBAY, India - The owner of a restaurant named after Adolf Hitler said Thursday he will change its name because it angered so many people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Puneet Sablok said he would remove Hitler's name and the Nazi swastika from billboards and the menu. He had said the restaurant's name — "Hitler's Cross" — and symbols were only meant to attract attention.

Sablok made the decision after meeting with members of Bombay's small Jewish community.

"Once they told me how upset they were with the name, I decided to change it," he said. "I don't want to do business by hurting people."

Sablok said he had not yet decided on a new name.

Hitler's Cross opened five days ago and serves pizza, salad and pastries in Navi Mumbai, a suburb of Bombay, also known as Mumbai.

On Thursday, Bombay's Jewish community welcomed Sablok's decision to rename his restaurant.

"He realized he made a mistake and listened to reason," said Elijah Jacob, a community leader. "Some people have wrong conceptions of history and he realized it was not appropriate."

Bombay's Jews had called the theme of the restaurant offensive and demanded a name change. There are about 5,500 Jews in India, with about 4,500 of them living in Bombay.

"I never wanted to hurt people's feelings," said Sablok.

Some Indians regard Hitler as just another historical figure and have little knowledge about the Holocaust, in which 6 million European Jews were systematically killed during World War II.

The swastika symbol, which was appropriated by the Nazis, was originally an ancient Hindu symbol and it is displayed all over India to bring luck.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060824/ap_on_fe_st/hitler_eatery

Good that he finally came to his senses or I was waiting for government to intervene. Mr. Sablok is a real class A moron. :rolleyes:

kams
24 Aug 06,, 21:34
Good that he finally came to his senses or I was waiting for government to intervene. Mr. Sablok is a real class A moron

Well, he got his publicity free (that too international) so now he has no problem chaning the name.

I don't want an SUV.

Fuels, Oils and Lubricants cost an arm and a leg out here.

I believe the Skoda is fuel efficient for its size.

Ray, I don't know the current status of cars in India (it's been 4 years since I was last in India) but Honda and Toyota are very reliable cars with good resale value (atleast in USA) and good on safety too. Honda launched their Civic in India recently. Thats very good family car.

Tronic
24 Aug 06,, 21:47
Ray, I don't know the current status of cars in India (it's been 4 years since I was last in India) but Honda and Toyota are very reliable cars with good resale value (atleast in USA) and good on safety too. Honda launched their Civic in India recently. Thats very good family car.
defenitely the Civic is a good buy... and much cheaper then the Octavia... plus more fuel effecient.. lol... the pros of this car can go on and on...

kams
24 Aug 06,, 23:34
defenitely the Civic is a good buy... and much cheaper then the Octavia... plus more fuel effecient.. lol... the pros of this car can go on and on...

Cheaper than Octavia? wow Civic(thats launched in India) is latest generation of Honda civic line, the newer model was launched in USA this year and is selling like hot cakes. Man why one even wants to see Octavia when you have Civic, Corolla in mid size and Accord, Camry in next class? Are there any hybrid version available in India?

Akshay
25 Aug 06,, 00:29
Here is the picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6928/hitlerscrossfo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/5310/23hitlerscrossls5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

THL
25 Aug 06,, 02:22
Here is the picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6928/hitlerscrossfo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The swastika is also poor judgement and I don't like that he has incorporated it into the logo, but its his restaurant.

Akshay
25 Aug 06,, 02:56
The swastika is also poor judgement and I don't like that he has incorporated it into the logo, but its his restaurant.

Swatika is basically an ancient hindu symbol which symbolizes peace & harmony. But, Hindu swastika differs with four dots in each arm. Symbols usually have different meaning in different cultures. Here is a picture of hindu swastika.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/886/288pxhinduswastikasvgkr5.png (http://imageshack.us)

Tronic
25 Aug 06,, 04:51
Cheaper than Octavia? wow Civic(thats launched in India) is latest generation of Honda civic line, the newer model was launched in USA this year and is selling like hot cakes. Man why one even wants to see Octavia when you have Civic, Corolla in mid size and Accord, Camry in next class? Are there any hybrid version available in India?

yes... the Civic is a mid-model which is a higher class model to the City and a lower class model to the Accord... and Octavia is popular simply because of its high performance diesel engine (one of the best diesel engines in India). As for Hybrids... there are no Hybrids in India at present but Tata and Mahindra are already working on some hybrids. So far, the cheapest and most fuel economical way are CNG and LPG cars which are pretty cheap to run... We have a Mondeo running on LPG and it costs us about 1 rupee per kilometer... so its pretty economical to run... plus it produces no pollution... the only problem is that there are no LPG pumps in Patiala.. so we have to take it to Chandigarh just to get it filled up....

Captain Drunk
26 Aug 06,, 03:50
I hate Hondas, they don't last long. Better for Indian roads than Octavia is Opel Astra. That's one fine car, less maintenance costs and spares prices.

Tronic
26 Aug 06,, 04:15
I hate Hondas, they don't last long. Better for Indian roads than Octavia is Opel Astra. That's one fine car, less maintenance costs and spares prices.

I don't agree with you there... Hondas have a long life... And Opel is one big flop... although, I have to say, they did come up with some excellent products... but still, bad advertisement I guess... same thing with Fiat's Palio... Palio is one fine product, but it's another flop simply because of bad marketing. Otherwise Palio is too good for its class...

but comparing Octavia with Astra!!! :eek: that is one big insult to Skoda... lol... although, i'm not a big fan of Octavia either, neverthless it is a very good product and much MUCH better then Astra... Octavia simply outclasses Astra... Astra is one car you can compare with Indigos or Esteems...

btw, IMO even the Esteem is a better buy then the Astra....

bull
26 Aug 06,, 06:35
hehe... no thanks... there hasn't been one car which my brother hasn't managed to crash... performance kits would be like complementing him to keep up his crashing streak... lol... but I guess it helps us in determining which car has the highest crash rating.... :biggrin:

Bull,
The forums keep me ticking even though I have given up alcoholic "tonics" to boost the heart heats!And I don't want to join the Air Force! :

Wehn i said performance kits i didnt mean it would turn out to be a Evo VIII,but just alittle tweak here and there and just giving that extra pep that would make it an "interesting drive"

Tronic
26 Aug 06,, 07:11
Wehn i said performance kits i didnt mean it would turn out to be a Evo VIII,but just alittle tweak here and there and just giving that extra pep that would make it an "interesting drive"
you give it a little tweak and my brother will drive it as if it is an Evo VIII... lol... and besides we are now both restricted to the Accent only... which I have to add is in VERY bad condition simply from the crash test it went through last December... :biggrin:

btw, do you happen to be located in Delhi???

bull
26 Aug 06,, 08:20
you give it a little tweak and my brother will drive it as if it is an Evo VIII... lol... and besides we are now both restricted to the Accent only... which I have to add is in VERY bad condition simply from the crash test it went through last December... :biggrin:

btw, do you happen to be located in Delhi???

No far far away miles away,down in Cochin.
What car(s) do you drive?

SLASH
26 Aug 06,, 09:26
Elantra CRDI isn't a bad buy or even the Sonata.

Ray
26 Aug 06,, 11:08
The Hitler controversy is over.

He is changing the same.

As LT has stated it was a free publicity stunt!

bull
26 Aug 06,, 12:06
The Hitler controversy is over.

He is changing the same.

As LT has stated it was a free publicity stunt!

He has got wehat he needed.BBC reported him and im sure when british tourist arrive in Mumbai,they will ask their guide as to where this eatout is located.

Tronic
26 Aug 06,, 18:08
No far far away miles away,down in Cochin.
What car(s) do you drive?

woah... Cochins sort of far from here...

and we own a Zen, Mondeo, Accent and a Safari. Although, only two of those are driveable right now... the Zen and the Accent are both at the body shop recovering from their accidents...

Ray
26 Aug 06,, 20:41
The History of the Swastika
From Jennifer Rosenberg,
Your Guide to 20th Century History.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

The swastika is an extremely powerful symbol. The Nazis used it to murder millions of people, but for centuries it had positive meanings. What is the history of the swastika? Does it now represent good or evil?

The Oldest Known Symbol

The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.

During the following thousand years, the image of the swastika was used by many cultures around the world, including in China, Japan, India, and southern Europe. By the Middle Ages, the swastika was a well known, if not commonly used, symbol but was called by many different names:

* China - wan
* England - fylfot
* Germany - Hakenkreuz
* Greece - tetraskelion and gammadion
* India - swastika

Though it is not known for exactly how long, Native Americans also have long used the symbol of the swastika.

The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.

A Change in Meaning

In the 1800s, countries around Germany were growing much larger, forming empires; yet Germany was not a unified country until 1871. To counter the feeling of vulnerability and the stigma of youth, German nationalists in the mid-nineteenth century began to use the swastika, because it had ancient Aryan/Indian origins, to represent a long Germanic/Aryan history.

By the end of the nineteenth century, the swastika could be found on nationalist German volkisch periodicals and was the official emblem of the German Gymnasts' League.

In the beginning of the twentieth century, the swastika was a common symbol of German nationalism and could be found in a multitude of places such as the emblem for the Wandervogel, a German youth movement; on Joerg Lanz von Liebenfels' antisemitic periodical Ostara; on various Freikorps units; and as an emblem of the Thule Society.

Hitler and the Nazis

In 1920, Adolf Hitler decided that the Nazi Party needed its own insignia and flag. For Hitler, the new flag had to be "a symbol of our own struggle" as well as "highly effective as a poster." (Mein Kampf, pg. 495)

On August 7, 1920, at the Salzburg Congress, this flag became the official emblem of the Nazi Party.

In Mein Kampf, Hitler described the Nazis' new flag: "In red we see the social idea of the movement, in white the nationalistic idea, in the swastika the mission of the struggle for the victory of the Aryan man, and, by the same token, the victory of the idea of creative work, which as such always has been and always will be anti-Semitic." (pg. 496-497)

Because of the Nazis' flag, the swastika soon became a symbol of hate, antisemitism, violence, death, and murder.

What Does the Swastika Mean Now?

There is a great debate as to what the swastika means now. For 3,000 years, the swastika meant life and good luck. But because of the Nazis, it has also taken on a meaning of death and hate.

These conflicting meanings are causing problems in today's society. For Buddhists and Hindus, the swastika is a very religious symbol that is commonly used. Chirag Badlani shares a story about one time when he went to make some photocopies of some Hindu Gods for his temple. While standing in line to pay for the photocopies, some people behind him in line noticed that one of the pictures had a swastika. They called him a Nazi.

Unfortunately, the Nazis were so effective at their use of the swastika emblem, that many do not even know any other meaning for the swastika. Can there be two completely opposite meanings for one symbol?

In ancient times, the direction of the swastika was interchangeable as can be seen on an ancient Chinese silk drawing.

Some cultures in the past had differentiated between the clockwise swastika and the counter-clockwise sauvastika. In these cultures the swastika symbolized health and life while the sauvastika took on a mystical meaning of bad-luck or misfortune.

But since the Nazis use of the swastika, some people are trying to differentiate the two meanings of the swastika by varying its direction - trying to make the clockwise, Nazi version of the swastika mean hate and death while the counter-clockwise version would hold the ancient meaning of the symbol, life and good-luck.

gilgamesh
27 Aug 06,, 00:54
I once had Israeli roomates, and I had 'Swastik' brand chillipowder stashed in my shelves in the kitchen. And the marketing bozos had printed slanted Swatika on the packaging for their product. :rolleyes:.

By the time I realised the folly(insensivity) it was too late. If I remove it, then it would grab more attention :redface: . So I remain nonchalant like the Sardar in Delhi :biggrin: and pretend I didn't know much about the Nazi Swastika issue and just let it pass. Infact I gave them the spice for their use when I left the place, sans the package :biggrin: .

Ray
27 Aug 06,, 08:53
Yes, the Isrealis and the westerners are too sensitive about the Swatika because they associate it with good old Hitler.

Always point out the difference in the design and the fact that it is just the opposite!

bull
28 Aug 06,, 07:10
woah... Cochins sort of far from here...

and we own a Zen, Mondeo, Accent and a Safari. Although, only two of those are driveable right now... the Zen and the Accent are both at the body shop recovering from their accidents...

WOW so many cars,u r one rich dude.
hws the safari doing???

Captain Drunk
28 Aug 06,, 13:29
Nice piece of knowledge there Ray!

I think this whole episode has just been one big hue and cry because its seen as a racial factor. The Romans were pretty barbaric in mowing down cities in Egypt and Libya, their army garrisons killed many – but we still have a Romanesque ‘Caesar’s Palace’ and bars named after ‘Nimrod’.

Tronic
28 Aug 06,, 17:27
WOW so many cars,u r one rich dude.
hws the safari doing???
heh... those are earned by hard sweat my friend... fruit of standing in the sun even in the hottest days of summer and making sure the fields actually get what they are suppose to... ;)

and the Safari is doing good, but thats simply because me or my brother haven't gotten behind it's wheel yet... :biggrin:

kams
28 Aug 06,, 18:22
and the Safari is doing good, but thats simply because me or my brother haven't gotten behind it's wheel yet...

Err..keep that way. Thank your Stars that Indian Insurance (auto) is not regulated. In USA, you get in to one crash, your Insurance premium goes through the roof and stays that way for 3 years.

Tronic
28 Aug 06,, 19:33
Err..keep that way. Thank your Stars that Indian Insurance (auto) is not regulated. In USA, you get in to one crash, your Insurance premium goes through the roof and stays that way for 3 years.
yes true... but even here you have to get auto insurance... I think it is compulsory aswell... it's just that it is dirty cheap... I think like around Rs.3000 per annum...

Captain Drunk
29 Aug 06,, 06:45
Hitler's Cross is now "The Cross Cafe", the name's finally been changed. Puneet Sablok the MD of the venture also said they were taking down the Swastika and putting up multi-coloured rings on the restaurant awning.

I wish they had just called it the "Swastik" Eatery or something and left it at that.......all this brooding.......that Holy Hindu symbol with the four dots is bloody well ours........

kams
29 Aug 06,, 12:03
yes true... but even here you have to get auto insurance... I think it is compulsory aswell... it's just that it is dirty cheap... I think like around Rs.3000 per annum...

No No I meant the insurance companies can not charge whatever they feel like. Here in USA (especially in States like NewJersey, New York and California) insurance rate depends on your driving experience, age, driving record. If you have kid who is 17-18 and just learning to drive, thts gonna cost you like 3000 $ +++. If you meet with an accident then your rate goes up. Its crazy here.

Tronic
29 Aug 06,, 17:36
No No I meant the insurance companies can not charge whatever they feel like. Here in USA (especially in States like NewJersey, New York and California) insurance rate depends on your driving experience, age, driving record. If you have kid who is 17-18 and just learning to drive, thts gonna cost you like 3000 $ +++. If you meet with an accident then your rate goes up. Its crazy here.
heh... that sucks bad...