X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Chinese diplomat tells US to 'shut up' on arms spending

Top Chinese diplomat tells US to 'shut up' on arms spending
    Posted: 17 August 2006 2239 hrs

LONDON - China's ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, throwing diplomatic language to the wind, told the United States on Thursday in no uncertain terms to "shut up and keep quiet" on the subject of Beijing's growing military spending.

Interviewed for a BBC radio programme on the topic, Sha Zukang also said China would "do the business" and sacrifice its own people's lives if any nation supported a declaration of independence by Taiwan.

Responding to jitters within the Bush administration about Beijing's spiralling military budget, Sha said the United States itself accounts for half of the entire world's military spending.

"The China population is six times or five times that of the United States," he said. "Why blame China?... It's better for the US to shut up and keep quiet. It's much, much better."

His voice rising, Sha continued: "It's the US's sovereign right to do whatever they deem good for them -- but don't tell us what is good for China. Thank you very much!"

Sha was equally explicit on Taiwan declaring independence with US backing -- a prospect that the BBC programme, by former Beijing correspondent Carrie Gracie, called the motivating factor behind Chinese military spending.

"The moment Taiwan declares independence, supported by whoever, China will have no choice," he said.

"We will do the business through whatever means available to my government. Nobody should have any illusions on that. We will do the business at any cost."

He added: "It's not a matter of how big Taiwan is, but for China, one inch of the territory is more valuable than the life of our people. We will never concede on that."

China's rising military spending, which has grown by double digits for much of the last 15 years, has caused concern in the United States and amongst China's neighbours in Asia.

In March, the National People's Congress (parliament), largely a rubber-stamp for decisions taken at the top level of the Chinese Communist Party, approved a 14.7-percent increase in military spending to 35 billion dollars (27 billion euros) this year.

Although this is paltry compared to the 419 billion dollar (325 billion euro) US defence budget in 2006, the Pentagon last year estimated that China's defence spending was two to three times the publicly announced figure.

In a speech in Beijing in July, Defence Minister Cao Gangchuan said modernization of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) remained a priority, the China News Service reported.

"The entire military must eye the historic destiny of China's military in the new century and new era and push forward the main line of a Chinese-style revolution in military affairs," he was quoted as saying.

He added: "We must unswervingly fulfil our sacred duty to defend state sovereignty, territorial integrity and security and never tolerate Taiwan independence and never permit Taiwan independence forces under any name or under any circumstances or form to split Taiwan from the motherland." - AFP/ir

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...225412/1/.html
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

I have to agree with the Chinese on this one. We express too much "concern" about other people's military spending.

On that note, I would let the Chinese know that continued military expansion only means we'll relax export restrictions of weapons to China's neighbors. I bet they'll like Taiwan to have some nice new subs and F-15s to play with.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
      I have to agree with the Chinese on this one. We express too much "concern" about other people's military spending.

On that note, I would let the Chinese know that continued military expansion only means we'll relax export restrictions of weapons to China's neighbors. I bet they'll like Taiwan to have some nice new subs and F-15s to play with.
      but the thing is that Chinese military expansion is as a result of its economic growth. If your economy expands by 11 percent, it's not that hard to increase your military spending by double digits.

Comment

I agree.

But even from a basic humanitarian viewpoint I hope the following isn't true.

"It's not a matter of how big Taiwan is, but for China, one inch of the territory is more valuable than the life of our people. We will never concede on that."

I thought the days of this kind of suicidal nihilism died out with Mao?
        HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid
          What else is the CCP going to bank their legitmacy on?

Comment

It is surprising that such strong language has been used by a high ranking Chinese diplomat.

It is rare that they react so strongly, no matter what is the provocation.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              It is surprising that such strong language has been used by a high ranking Chinese diplomat.

It is rare that they react so strongly, no matter what is the provocation.
              This diplomat is famous in China for his strong character,i view his emotional speech are not completely represent chinese official.but what he said are the truth.
              It was when the Great Way declined,that human kindness and morality arose.
              It was when intelligence and knowledge appeared,that the Great Artifice began.

Comment

Then i bet US would like Iran and Venezuela has more and more surface-to-surface missiles from China in turn.That's fair enough.
                It was when the Great Way declined,that human kindness and morality arose.
                It was when intelligence and knowledge appeared,that the Great Artifice began.

Comment

Iraq, 1991.

The densest air defence system in the world, something like 16,000 missiles in total, some of them pretty advanced.

Didn't really save them now, did it?

SAMs for air defence = poor.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                  What else is the CCP going to bank their legitmacy on?
                  Increasing prosperity, I would have thought, incidentally the opposite of nihilism.
                  HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Davis_Chan
                    Then i bet US would like Iran and Venezuela has more and more surface-to-surface missiles from China in turn.That's fair enough.
                    Yeah well outside of Russia where else can they get them.

Russia and China are arming the countries that the U.N. is trying to sanction and then veto sanctions against the countries that are arming. Perhaps maybe they should have theyre permanent seat status removed until they reconsider the regimes thay are arming.
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Aug 06,, 14:11.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid
                      I agree.

But even from a basic humanitarian viewpoint I hope the following isn't true.

"It's not a matter of how big Taiwan is, but for China, one inch of the territory is more valuable than the life of our people. We will never concede on that."

Communism at its best my friends Take a good breath of it in and spit it out. Now you are familiar with it. ;)
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Aug 06,, 14:14.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by tphuang
                        but the thing is that Chinese military expansion is as a result of its economic growth. If your economy expands by 11 percent, it's not that hard to increase your military spending by double digits.
                        Ah, but how does that economy expand at double digits? China maintains a comparative advantage by fixing their currency to ours at roughly an 8:1 ratio. That means when the US slows down, their currency doesn't gain more purchasing power against ours. Further more, they lose purchasing power against the Euro when we slow. Low purchasing power is bad for raising domestiec standards but good for export. China thus continue to expand its export business at a torrid pace.

If China lets the Yuan adjusts freely in the global market, its economy wouldn't grow nearly as fast.

Comment

Sure, go right ahead. US arms in Taiwan, Korea, Japan, India, directly affect China. Chinese arms in Iran may or may not affect the US. Chinese arms in Venezuela is of little or no concern to us.

Comment

Originally posted by FROM ARTICLE
                            He added: "It's not a matter of how big Taiwan is, but for China, one inch of the territory is more valuable than the life of our people. We will never concede on that."
                            Thank you for reminding your people of that publically.

Now THERE'S an asshated statement if ever there was one people.

This diplomat is famous in China for his strong character,i view his emotional speech are not completely represent chinese official.but what he said are the truth.
                            And thank YOU of reminding us too.

Bark, bark little doggie, but you've got no bite. You rant and rave because the US has all the might.
                            Last edited by Bill; 31 Aug 06,, 23:02.

Comment

Gannut,

The US is also leaning on China from genera area CAR in the west adjoining Xinjiang.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X