Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parihaka: Maori Queen Dead

Parihaka,

I came on to the TV news here late and so I am bit foggy on the issue.

It said that the Maori Queen, who reigned for long, has died.

Could you explain this? Reign? The connection of the Maori Queen and the society and her influence on the NZ society etc.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray
    Parihaka,

I came on to the TV news here late and so I am bit foggy on the issue.

It said that the Maori Queen, who reigned for long, has died.

Could you explain this? Reign? The connection of the Maori Queen and the society and her influence on the NZ society etc.
    This will take a while Ray, I'll hopefully post something later today.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I had to do a project on the Maori people in college. Interesting culture however IICR they got screwed "royaly" of their tribal lands and culture.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

My condolences on her passing. On a brighter note, the mighty All Blacks came up with the big win in her honour and won the tri nations today. Great game.

Comment

I marvel at the way the New Zealanders play rugby and win!

It is great to see them play; of course, I see it on TV and so the real excitement of seeing them "live" is not there.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I like the Maori on account of their fighting spirit, bloody bloodthirsty blokes the lot of them.
            Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              I marvel at the way the New Zealanders play rugby and win!

It is great to see them play; of course, I see it on TV and so the real excitement of seeing them "live" is not there.
              The art of Rugby is to be harder than the opposition. We're mostly good at that. ;)

Leibniz

Comment

Indeed.

Going by the massive armour plated like head of the All Blacks, I think you have hit the nail on the head! ;) :)

It is too late in age for me to dip my head in vinegar to make the best player of my school team.

BTW, we were the champions out here in those days!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Okay. Basically the Kingitanga movement grew out of concern amongst Maori over how Pakeha (settlers) were taking over the country. At the time of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi , the Crown regarded it as a ceding of Sovereignty to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, making New Zealand (Aoetearoa) part of the British Empire, and Maori citizens of that Empire.
                  Maori on the other hand viewed it as a guarantee of Maori control and ownership of Aotearoa and a means of control through British arms of the many Pakeha who had already come to settle in the country.
                  Maori encouraged small scale settlement because of their desire to learn modern farming techniques and technology and to develop trade, and in fact regarded 'posession' of Pakeha settlers as a sign of Mana (prestige) but were concerned over the rapidly growing numbers.
                  At this time Maori were also experiencing a number of other difficulties. Inter-tribal warfare had always been present, and with the introduction of muskets had reach almost genocidal levels. My own Iwi on my Maori side(Ngai Tahu) had for instance lost over half their population in a period of fifteen years due to Te Rauparaha, a renowned Ngati Toa warlord.
                  Couple this with the advent of european diseases and Maori populations in general were quickly declining.
                  The Kingitanga movement grew out of this as an attempt to unify the tribes under one banner, to promote Maori issues within the new Pakeha parliament and to attempt to protect Maori lands and culture. It's success was limited and with the mass migration of Maori to urban centres from the 1950's onwards, new power centres grew and took far more effectively the role of promoting Maori issues, usually through reconstituted Iwi claims and protests.

The great success of the Kingitanga movement was in the preservation of Maori tradition and culture, and it is in this respect that the Maori Queen Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu is remembered and honoured. Her Tangi (funeral) unlike most, is to take a full seven days and is held at Turangawaewae Marae. Tens, probably hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders have paid their respects and her successor, either her eldest son or eldest daughter will be named after her departure. The succession doesn't have to be along blood lines but is picked by the confederation of tribes. In this instance however it will be because of blood.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                    My own Iwi on my Maori side(Ngai Tahu) had for instance lost over half their population in a period of fifteen years due to Te Rauparaha, a renowned Ngati Toa warlord.
                    Dang, were your Iwi (clan, I guess) the ones who chased Te Rauparaha, almost caught him leading to the composition of this haka?

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
                    I die! I die! I live! I live!

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
                    I die! I die! I live! I live!

Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
                    This is the hairy man

Nana nei i tiki mai
                    Who fetched the Sun

Whakawhiti te ra
                    And caused it to shine again

A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
                    One upward step! Another upward step!

A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
                    An upward step, another.. the Sun shines!!

Hi !!!

http://www.haka.co.nz/media/haka.mp3

Comment

For those scratching their heads, thats the "All Blacks" haka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_Mate

Comment

I just figured out the Ngai Tahu probably came later on in Te Rauparahas rather bloody career when he led a raid on them in 1828 & probably waged war on them thereafter.

The Maoris are bloody fascinating if I may say so.

Comment

Parihaka,

Thanks.

It was some education and I find it a great delight that I know another aspect of culture of peoples who are so remote that one forgets that they too exist.

In fact, New Zealand is so ever peaceful and without any strife. I am sure it is a great place to be in.

Ka ora! Ka ora!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Archer
                            I just figured out the Ngai Tahu probably came later on in Te Rauparahas rather bloody career when he led a raid on them in 1828 & probably waged war on them thereafter.

The Maoris are bloody fascinating if I may say so.
                            Yep, you've got it, Ngai Tahu were dealt too rather than dealing too Te Rauparaha, there's still animosity til this day. While everyone is 'cordial' the Powhiris can be a bit pointed
                            Here's some more history on Te Rauparaha
                            Two major reasons exist for the survival of Maori taonga today
                            1: Te Tiriti O Waitangi, where the liberal movement in England insisted on 'natives' being accorded respect and
                            2: Much more importantly, they were adaptable, intelligent and very warlike. They basically invented the idea of modern trench warfare.

Maori Pas

The Maori of New Zealand had built stockades called Pa on hills and small peninsulas for centuries before European contact. These resembled the small Iron age forts which dot the British and Irish landscapes. When the Maori encountered the British they developed the Pa into a very effective defensive system of trenches, rifle pits and dugouts, and which pre-dated similar developments in America and Europe. In the Maori Wars for a long time the modern Pa effectively neutralized the overwhelming disparity in numbers and armaments. At Ohaeawai Pa in 1845, at Rangiriri in 1864, and again at Gate Pa in 1864 the British and Colonial Forces discovered that a frontal attack on a defended Pa was both ineffective and extremely costly.

At Gate Pa during the Tauranga Campaign, in 1864 the Maori withstood a day long bombardment in their bomb shelters. One authority calculated that Gate Pa absorbed in one day a greater weight of explosives per square metre than did the German trenches in the week-long bombardment leading up to the Battle of the Somme. Having destroyed the pallisade, the British troops entered the Pa whereupon the Maori fired on them from hidden trenches, killing 38 and injuring many more in the most costly battle for the Pakeha of the Maori Wars. The Maori then abandoned Gate Pa. The Maori developed their ideas on Pa design over a very short period, from the stone age to the level of World War One in little over 30 years.
                            Source
                            I've walked all over Gate Pa, it was built primarily as a killing field, and is beautifully designed.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                              Parihaka,

Thanks.

It was some education and I find it a great delight that I know another aspect of culture of peoples who are so remote that one forgets that they too exist.

In fact, New Zealand is so ever peaceful and without any strife. I am sure it is a great place to be in.

Ka ora! Ka ora!

Kia ora Ray, and you're welcome here any time :)

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X