Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Maginot Line extended to the English Channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Maginot Line extended to the English Channel?

Hi All,

Im a new member in this forum and in need of your opinions to this question,

If the Maginot Line would have been extended to the English Channel, could Germany still win the war against France in short period? How?

You may assume British and French Army took the same defence position as in history, Low countries were neutral.

Thanks a million!

Yes, the Germans could have easily defeated the French in the same amount of time, regardless of the extra amount of line. They would only have to pierce a few points and pour their forces through those few holes, rendering the rest of the line and the troops inside it impotent.

Or they could do what they did do: go through the Ardennes forest.
    Last edited by leib10; 16 Aug 06,, 20:25.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

leibstandarte10,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Just wondering given the high specification of defence of the Line, is it that easy for the Germans to do so?

Comment

Actually the Maginot line wasn't a uniform defensive line. Parts of it was easy to take out and other parts were tough as nails.

I would say if the Maginot line was extended all the way to the northern coast line of France, Germans would have had a tougher time for a break through.

The part of Maginot line that existed performed admirably. It did exactly what it's supposed to do, to deter attack at that spot. What that did was to funnel the Germans north through the low countries and then into France. If that hole was plugged, then the Germans would have to find a weak spot for a break through. The end result would probably be still the same, the French surrenders, but not in such a short amount of time. The Germans would have paid a much higher price as well.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by karenandkarl
          Hi All,

Im a new member in this forum and in need of your opinions to this question,

If the Maginot Line would have been extended to the English Channel, could Germany still win the war against France in short period? How?

You may assume British and French Army took the same defence position as in history, Low countries were neutral.

Thanks a million!
          The germans would've dropped paratroopers behind it and blown open a big section at the start of the war.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
            Actually the Maginot line wasn't a uniform defensive line. Parts of it was easy to take out and other parts were tough as nails.

I would say if the Maginot line was extended all the way to the northern coast line of France, Germans would have had a tougher time for a break through.

The part of Maginot line that existed performed admirably. It did exactly what it's supposed to do, to deter attack at that spot. What that did was to funnel the Germans north through the low countries and then into France. If that hole was plugged, then the Germans would have to find a weak spot for a break through. The end result would probably be still the same, the French surrenders, but not in such a short amount of time. The Germans would have paid a much higher price as well.

Ya, this is the point 'Actually the Maginot line wasn't a uniform defensive line' Excellent reply, very comprehensive. I really appreciate it!

Comment

It's true that the Line was incomplete. There were large gaps in many places, with which the Germans could simply bypass the fortifications and roll them up from the flank or from behind. But in the end, they didn't even need to do that, as the French surrendered before they turned their attention to the still occupied fortifications.
              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                The germans would've dropped paratroopers behind it and blown open a big section at the start of the war.

I agree...i remember they did have such a plan to drop the paratroops? But it was aborted eventually...Is that true?

Comment

I don't know, but in the long run they didn't need them. Perhaps if the Line gave them more difficulties a plan would've been drawn up.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                    I take it you're thinking about Eben Emael? Do you think that was the inevitable fate of any fortified position that got in the way? Or is it possible that Eben Emael was particularly vulnerable to airborne attack?

Personally, I think it might have slowed them down enough (regardless of whether it was vulnerable to airborne attack) to give the Allies time to organize a more effective defense. If we had been able to organize an effective armored reserve, I think the Germans would have been seriously impeded. And there was certainly plenty of armor, the French Somuas especially were quite good, I believe. The only issues would be lack of experience in maneuvering large armored formations, lack of radio communication, and lack of good air support. Any thoughts?
                    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Fortifications

Any fortification can be taken but it can cost you. The Germans were pretty sanguine about warfare. They knew you can take any position if you want to spend the manpower. Once that particular fortification is taken (at no matter what the cost) the line can be broken and maneuver warfare started. What would it matter if an entire (or two) division were sacrificed if the breakthrough allowed the defeat of the French army and end the war? An unpleasant (if you're in the attacking division) but realistic scenario.
                      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

French may have had better tanks on paper, but their inexperience in mobile warfare would have doomed them eventually.

Germans used combined warfare with concentrated tanks being a cog in the machine while the French scattered their tanks amongst infantry units for support duties. Superior communication for the Germans between their tanks and between their larger units furthered extended their advantage over the French.

A complete Maginot line would have slowed the Germans down in the initial advance. After the break through, the French with their antiquated tactics was no match for the Germans.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

At any cost

I think good parallels can be drawn from German plans to take Gibraltar and their attack on Crete. The Germans planned on casualty rates of up to 80% of the assault troops in an initial attack on Gibraltar. Pretty horrific but acceptable if successful.

Crete is billed by historians as the death knell of German parachute troops. I think what is always overlooked is the fact that THEY WON. Yeah it was expensive but in the end they were successful. I think the same would have probably been the case with a more extensive Maginot line. Multiple simultaneous attacks with high initial casualties but with ultimately successfully results.
                          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

It was after Crete that Hitler forbade the mass use of paratroopers ever again, which was a serious error on his part as he threw away an advantage that might've served him well. After Crete the elite Fallschirmjagers were used solely as infantry, slowly being killed piecemeal on the Eastern Front.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                              It was after Crete that Hitler forbade the mass use of paratroopers ever again, which was a serious error on his part as he threw away an advantage that might've served him well. After Crete the elite Fallschirmjagers were used solely as infantry, slowly being killed piecemeal on the Eastern Front.

Agree...After Crete Hitler believed the day of parachute troops is over. He didn't realise that was a mistake until 1943 when the Allies landed Sicily but this is too late.

Comment

Working...
                              X