Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean: Bin Laden Innocent Until Proven Guilty

Dean: Bin Laden guilt best determined by jury

(CNN) -- Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean will not pronounce Osama bin Laden guilty before a trial, he said in an interview published Friday.

New Hampshire's Concord Monitor reported that Dean said he would not state his preference on a punishment for bin Laden before the al Qaeda leader was captured and put before a jury.

"I've resisted pronouncing a sentence before guilt is found," Dean said in the interview. "I will have this old-fashioned notion that even with people like Osama, who is very likely to be found guilty, we should do our best not to, in positions of executive power, not to prejudge jury trials."

Dean added he is certain most Americans agree with that sentiment.

Later, Dean released a statement clarifying, "I share the outrage of all Americans. Osama bin Laden has admitted that he is responsible for killing 3,000 Americans as well as scores of men, women and children around the world. This is the exactly the kind of case that the death penalty is meant for.

"When we capture Osama bin Laden, he will be brought to justice and treated in the same manner that President Bush is recommending for Saddam Hussein."

The interview covered a number of foreign affairs topics. Dean held fast to his belief that the capture of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein made America no safer.

"My opponents spent the week criticizing me for that, which I think was to their detriment" since the federal government has just increased the terror alert level to orange, indicating an elevated risk of an attack, Dean told the paper.

Dean also said he would continue noting he was the only "major" candidate to oppose the war. He said even with that stance, he could win over those who supported the war "by going after (President Bush) on terrorism, where he's really weak."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...den/index.html

I am CERTAIN most americans do NOT want a jury trial for Osama.

What we want is a military tribunal. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      I am CERTAIN most americans do NOT want a jury trial for Osama.

What we want is a military tribunal. :)
      I say we get every last bit of information out of him, and then take him outside and shoot him. :ar15

Comment

Hmm, well, OBL 'might' be entitled to a fair trial but Dean's comments were a further illustration of a man suffering from "foot-in-mouth" disease:

"Dean's Osama oops"
        Link:
        http://www.nydailynews.com/news/stor...p-131822c.html

regards
        seekerof

Comment

Originally posted by seekerof
          Hmm, well, OBL 'might' be entitled to a fair trial
          What entitles UBL to a fair trail or a trail period?

Comment

As far as criminals are concerned, by all means, they are innocent until proven guilty...its one of the freedoms that we hold dear. However, terrorists are another story completely. They are not "criminals"...they are vermin, and need to be treated as such. Personally, I don't think we'll ever catch OBL alive. We'll either drop a JDAM down his cave, or we'll go into catch him and he will die a martyr's death. I read somewhere (Newsweek?) that he was sleeping with a bunch of AP mines around her, ready to be triggered by him if he is in danger of being caught.

Comment

Like seekerof said, this is nothing new for Dean. He's got a classic case of liberalitis...he says whatever he needs to say to the audience he's in front of, and then he will go and say the exact opposite in front of the next audience. Another thing...anyone here read Cal Thomas' column yesterday on Dean? It basically called him on the carpet about how he is a "Christian"..very interesting column. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

A little off-topic...does anyone else here thing the DNC is going to let Dean run just so he'll get beat, opening up the door for Hillary in 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by naocman
                As far as criminals are concerned, by all means, they are innocent until proven guilty...its one of the freedoms that we hold dear. However, terrorists are another story completely. They are not "criminals"...they are vermin, and need to be treated as such. Personally, I don't think we'll ever catch OBL alive. We'll either drop a JDAM down his cave, or we'll go into catch him and he will die a martyr's death. I read somewhere (Newsweek?) that he was sleeping with a bunch of AP mines around her, ready to be triggered by him if he is in danger of being caught.
                A lot people thought Saddam would go down in a hail of gunfire too, and then we pulled his ass out of a whole in the ground. These guys are all cowards. If UBL followed is own teachings he’d strap a bomb on himself and rid the world of himself once and for all, but he won't do that. I think there is a least a 50-50 chance that we will get him alive.

Comment

A little off-topic...does anyone else here thing the DNC is going to let Dean run just so he'll get beat, opening up the door for Hillary in 2008?
                  I don't know if it is intentional on the DNC's part but it is certainly what Hilary wants.

Comment

I'd say the chances are more like 30-70 we get him alive...I think OBL has a bit more backbone than Saddam does...but like you said, these guys are all cowards at heart.

Comment

Whilst i have no doubt, in my own mind, that OBL is guilty. One of the things that terrorists want is to have civilised societies descend into the abyss, so that chaos can be used as a weapon to achieve the political aims that they cannot through more civlised means. The label of Terrorist still needs to be justified, even if you feel it is a different class of crime

Due process needs to be followed no matter how unpalatable it is. Remember people like OBL, while vermin, are also figureheads for other radicals and martydom is a dangerous thing.

Whilst it didn't surprise me at all that Saddam took the cowards route to preserve his own skin, OBL strikes me as someone who will take himself and as many "infidels" with him and i would hope whichever squad encounters him bears that foremost in their minds.
                      at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                        Whilst i have no doubt, in my own mind, that OBL is guilty. One of the things that terrorists want is to have civilised societies descend into the abyss, so that chaos can be used as a weapon to achieve the political aims that they cannot through more civlised means. The label of Terrorist still needs to be justified, even if you feel it is a different class of crime

Due process needs to be followed no matter how unpalatable it is. Remember people like OBL, while vermin, are also figureheads for other radicals and martydom is a dangerous thing.

Whilst it didn't surprise me at all that Saddam took the cowards route to preserve his own skin, OBL strikes me as someone who will take himself and as many "infidels" with him and i would hope whichever squad encounters him bears that foremost in their minds.

I fail to see how taking UBL out back, and giving him two in the head creates "chaos."

Comment

I think what Trooth is saying is that by executing OBL, we sink down to the level of terrorists...okay, not exactly, but something like that.

As far as Osama taking some infidels with him...if things get too hot, a JDAM should take care of things.

Comment

I think what Trooth is saying is that by executing OBL, we sink down to the level of terrorists...okay, not exactly, but something like that.

As far as Osama taking some infidels with him...if things get too hot, a JDAM should take care of things.
                            Indeed, I am not saying that execution should not be the final outcome, just it should be transaparent as to how it was reached.

The JDAM is also an option.
                            at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                              Indeed, I am not saying that execution should not be the final outcome, just it should be transaparent as to how it was reached.

The JDAM is also an option.
                              Whatever, just as long as he is dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X