X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obit Hounds

E-mail service a daily fix for obit obsessed

Published July 21, 2006

Too many days it seems that the news is about nothing but death, death and more death, mostly involving strangers.

But there's another kind of news about death, a kind that's more urgent because it's more personal, the news that some people search for first in their newspapers: the obituaries.

When that news interests you more than the front page, it's time, apparently, for ObitMessenger.

You may have seen the big ad for ObitMessenger in the Tribune, one of many papers that participate in this service.

"Newspaper death notices e-mailed to you each day," it promises.

"Each day ObitMessenger will search the obituary notices for that day from the newspapers you've selected. ObitMessenger will send you an e-mail when it finds obituary notices containing any of your key words (key words can include names, schools, hometowns, places of worship, etc.)."

Whoever invented the word "ObitMessenger" is a genius. It evokes a benevolent winged herald who flies straight to your computer--each day!--with glad tidings that someone you know has made it to the great beyond.

You've got mail: Jimmy from 5th grade is gone, and Becky from Sts. Peter & Paul Parish and Karen who lived down the street. No need to reply.

I'm not here to promote ObitMessenger, or to criticize it, just to wonder: At what point does a normal person want such a service?

At what point do you begin to actively solicit news of the passing of the characters who peopled this drama you call your life?

At what point would you want to get such news every single day, on the same screen on which you casually check the weather and the stock market?

Do you become hungry for your daily dose of obits in your 40s? Your 60s? In whichever decade you've lost a friend or two and realize that the odds have increased that on any given day from now on the count will grow?

Obit obsession is a phenomenon I first noticed in my father. He was in his 50s and terminally ill himself.

I knew something had changed in him when I noticed him flipping to the obituary page the minute he was done with his favorite section, Sports.

I asked him about it once. He wasn't the sentimental type. He just shrugged and said something like, "Life changes when your friends start to die."

Now, many years later, my mother--clearly a target market for ObitMessenger--regularly checks the obits online from Phoenix and Macon, Ga., places where she has lived.

"Ghoulish," I said when she mentioned it, though I know it's not.

Obits from near and far help her to connect the dots in her life. She's sad when she learns of an old friend's death, but takes some satisfaction in the Cliff's Notes version of the dearly departed's full life story. It's good to know how things turn out.

We live in a mobile, fractured world. People constantly change jobs, cities, spouses, e-mail addresses. And if the people of your life are scattered and your contact with them sporadic, you can't help but wonder about them.

One year the Christmas card doesn't come. Or your card gets returned unopened. You make a call, find the number disconnected. An e-mail bounces back.

At some point you start to think: How would I know if she died? Would anyone bother to tell me? Would someone search her address books or cell phone file and assume that because I was in there I should be told?

And what if I'm not in there? I'd still like to know. Didn't she leave instructions to tell me?

I've lost only one friend, to a car accident. I have yet to lose a close one to disease. I haven't reached the phase in which the ranks are noticeably thinning and the obits demand vigilance.

But the odds suggest that that day isn't far, and so though I'm not ready for ObitMessenger, I like to know someone is up there taking daily roll call and readying the report for the living who know that, yeah, life changes when your friends start to die.

----------

[email protected]
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...l=chi-news-hed
    How many of you check the obits daily? Weekly? I don't know that I would want to subscribe to this service. No. I do know that I would NOT want to, but I am guilty of looking through the obituaries. I have only had 8 or so people that I know in my peer group die (2 I saw in the obits that I would not have known of otherwise) and I don't think that I have much to worry about for myself, but I like to read them none the less. People always say such nice things about others in them - stuff they should have said when they were alive.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

You can't sleep either eh?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
      You can't sleep either eh?
      My new position requires I work 6 weeks on nights and 6 weeks on days - this is my 4 day rotation of nights. Even logistics is quiet at night. :)

I have been noticing Dale on here the last couple nights - either he works nights too, does not sleep or gets up REALLY early.
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Pillage THEN burn...

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
        How many of you check the obits daily? Weekly? I don't know that I would want to subscribe to this service. No. I do know that I would NOT want to, but I am guilty of looking through the obituaries. I have only had 8 or so people that I know in my peer group die (2 I saw in the obits that I would not have known of otherwise) and I don't think that I have much to worry about for myself, but I like to read them none the less. People always say such nice things about others in them - stuff they should have said when they were alive.
        I read the obituaries first... just to see if I'm in there. If not, THEN I read the horoscope. Wouldn't make sense to do it the other way now would it? ;)
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
          My new position requires I work 6 weeks on nights and 6 weeks on days - this is my 4 day rotation of nights. Even logistics is quiet at night. :)

I have been noticing Dale on here the last couple nights - either he works nights too, does not sleep or gets up REALLY early.
          Heh. Wait till I get back to school. They think I'm some kind of miracle of science there. I think my personal record is something like 60 hours with nothing but a 2 hour afternoon nap. If it weren't for Saturdays, I'm pretty sure I would have had some 15 hour weeks. BTW, WAB will probably screw up my horrible study habits even more. Thanks a lot, people.
          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
          X