PDA

View Full Version : The Worlds Dirtiest City - Mumbai

bull
06 Jul 06,, 10:31
The latest flodding has bought back the "crown of dirtiest city" to Mumbai once again.

Kudos should be given to the authorities and the public in Mumbai for such a wonderfull achievement.An estimated INR 250 cr iwas spend n a single year just on drainage,but nothing mush seems to have changed.

The already overloaded ancient suburban trains came to a halt,the slums on which mumbai barks to be the next shanghai was flooded,and the walkways leading to the slums where 2/3rd of the mumbaites live were inaccesible.

Is this what Indians financial capital should be like.Or should we ever bark about Mumbai which doesnt even have a proper public amenities.

Shanghai ...thats what it was suppose to be in future,but with this rain it has proven to be the MUMBAI that no one can ever match.

PS:The much hyped about hi-tech search and rescue team's picture is attached below.

bull
06 Jul 06,, 10:43
India's Pride..Neighbours Envy.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 10:53
You probably haven't seen Calcutta (or Chennai when it floods). At least those guys in the picture are trying.

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 10:57
The honour goes to Kanpur - The big 'Dehaat'. Mumbai isn't much behind though..

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 10:57
Saw a progam yesterday on CNN-IBN, about infrastructure. Leading Bombay citizen(Padamsee) has given a sensible solution, RUN!

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 11:08
Its an egg on the face of Vilasrao. If he has any shame left he should jump from the top of Manori hills. Forget about turning Mumbai into Shanghai.. hell, even Sao Paulo is much better than Mumbai.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 11:24
Its an egg on the face of Vilasrao. If he has any shame left he should jump from the top of Manori hills. Forget about turning Mumbai into Shanghai.. hell, even Sao Paulo is much better than Mumbai.
no shanghai came directly from sky. mumbai has caliber to compete with cities like even sydney or london. even 30-40 billion dollars investment can make changes, while india is one of the biggest economy of the world having one of the cheapest labor. we are doing well, be patient, we are just started. we will make so much changes that people will forget shanghai.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 11:26
Why blame the people for this mess?Blame the migrants who come to the city only to build a illegal shanty of their own.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 11:28
no shanghai came directly from sky. mumbai has caliber to compete with cities like even sydney or london. even 30-40 billion dollars investment can make changes, while india is one of the biggest economy of the world having one of the cheapest labor. we are doing well, be patient, we are just started. we will make so much changes that people will forget shanghai.
But what abt the slum dwellers.How r we going to rehabilitate the 15 millions in the slums and thousands joining them every single day?

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 11:32
But what abt the slum dwellers.How r we going to rehabilitate the 15 millions in the slums and thousands joining them every single day?

Your post reminds me of that accident in Moore Market in Madras. Whole market gutted down by some mysterious spark, and zero casualities. Everybody went home happy, I think. Chennai has some really ceative people.

Archer
06 Jul 06,, 11:37

Thats already being done.

http://e.sinchew-i.com/content.phtml?sec=2&artid=200606070003

Dharavi: Soon A Slum No More?
Updated:2006-06-09 14:38:24 MYT

Author: By Charu Bahri
HappyNews Citizen Journalist

(Reproduced with permission from HappyNews.com. To check out more Happy News, please click here.)

Not for nothing do they call it Asia's largest slum. Situated in the heart of the city of Mumbai, India and home to about 52,000 families who generate a turnover of over USD444 million per annum from their numerous industrial units scattered across the spread, Dharavi is truly a sea of humanity struggling against the odds to keep itself afloat.

But this is set to change very soon.

The state government of Maharashtra, in which the city of Mumbai is located, a city where at least 50% of the population lives in slums, has implemented the Slum Rehabilitation Authority--something that is touted as the world's largest slum rehabilitation project.

Expected to cost USD1,258 million, the Dharavi Development Project (DDP) aptly titled "Support Our Slums" has been framed as a holistic project that aims not merely to provide alternate homes to the slum-dwellers, but to create well-planned and aesthetic surroundings catering to all their needs: housing complexes, schools, supermarkets, a modern hospital, clinics, a state-of-the art leather institute, fashion and ceramic institutes, a 4-acre sports complex, a centre for visual and performing arts and open spaces--all connected by wide roads.

What is novel about the DDP is that it is a self-funded scheme. A group of real-estate developers will construct over 70,000 apartments, allotting 225 square feet area for each, for every Dharaviite family.

The families will not be charged for their new apartments, which will be situated on the area presently covered by the slum. The developers will be compensated by being awarded extra FSI or the transfer of development rights. Thus, for each square foot built for a slum-dweller, the developer will be entitled to 1.33 square feet of saleable space. The DDP blueprint divides the slum into 12 sectors--two of which will be developed as commercial development.

The DDP was conceived by non-resident Indian architect Mukesh Mehta, CEO of MM Consultants and appointed adviser to the government of Maharashtra, after a 5-year study of the area and the nature of its inhabitants. The finding that slum-dwellers are loath to live in highrise buildings practically translated the plans for lowrise (7-storey buildings), high-density dwellings.

With complete emphasis on creating a sustainable environment for the mass of humanity that will be rehabilitated, the project also entails a 15-year guarantee on the part of the developers for the maintenance of the residential complexes, external paint, lifts and electrical maintenance--as Mehta's study indicated that slum-dwellers are not used to saving and spending on the area immediately outside their homes.

The project's vision is thus to create a modern-day township ensconced in the city of Mumbai. Interestingly, Dharavi was originally one of many villages surrounding the British fort in Mumbai.

In the late 1600s and 1700s when the development of cotton mills caused a large influx of migrants to erstwhile Bombay, Dharavi was just one crowded "native town," as they were called, outside the walls of the British area, having its own small tanning industry. Over the centuries, textile, pottery, plastic processing, Jari (special Indian embroidery work done with golden and silver threads) stitching industry units grew alongside the leather tanning industry.

The planners have made provision for the further growth and employment prospects of Dharavi's industrial units, by envisaging the creation of a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) housing gem and jewelry factories, a leather industry, info tech etc., which will spur their current industrial output to grow manifold to $2,890 million per annum.

The Central Government has already allocated a grant of over $110 million to the project, which will be appropriated for the development of infrastructure. Government estimates indicate that the funds will be used to build schools, a fire station, a municipal market, a police station, a municipal chowky (central spot), a municipal hospital, sewage disposal facilities, solid waste management facilities, drinking water facilities, storm water drains, a cemetery and roads. Apparently, civic necessities have been well thought of.

A mass transit or shuttle service to connect the entire area with surroundings suburbs such as Sion, Dadar, Bandra or Mahim is also visualised.

With a long-term aim of integrating Dharaviites with mainstream Mumbai, and providing them a platform to aspire to a better life, the DDP initiative is designed to transform the entire population to a middle-income community by 2010.

While many rehabilitation projects get bogged down by a lack of political or administrative will, in this case, the administration and political system seems committed to seeing the project through and to this end, have consulted numerous corporations to ensure the right legal framework is put in place prior to the process of global tendering for the development contracts. Given that, it appears to be only a matter of time before this ugly duckling turns into a beautiful swan.

(Charu Bahri is a freelance writer from India. She has written for various magazines and newspapers and additionally authored two books and a screenplay.

Sinchew-i 20

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 11:59
Thats already being done.

http://e.sinchew-i.com/content.phtml?sec=2&artid=200606070003

Dharavi: Soon A Slum No More?

More than the slum dwellers, its the builders who are responsible for the hapazard growth. They should be dealt with first. Next, politicians who allow those slums. Above solution in the link, is at best patchwork. Bombay will still remain ugly, over-crowded and expensive.

bull
06 Jul 06,, 12:01

Even a 30-40 bn dollar!!! :eek: You know how big a sum that is???

I never think India will be able to invest that much in a single city like Mumbai and that too only for infra.

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 12:03

If the government of Maharashtra didn't learn its lesson last year after over 1000 lives were lost then what makes you think they would do now? It is always good to be optimistic but janaab, its my city. I know how things work over there. It took 10 years time for Railway officials to clear shanties to extend the Harbour line upto Vashi. Even I hope for things to change but this slow pace of development makes me rip my hairs off in angst. What an irony!! I am running a thread on Indian Infrastructure and state of my own city is such that roads have vanished and it resembles more like ghettos of Venice. 30-40 billion dollars? hell!! even 500 billion dollars won't make a drop of difference till the scum of Mumbai, the Jhopadpatties are removed jhopadpattiwallas are shifted out of city. Chinese government had the desire, will & volition to turn their city into New york equivalent. About our government.. lesser said the better...

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 12:05

I never think India will be able to invest that much in a single city like Mumbai and that too only for infra.

Bull,

McKinsey in its report to Maharashtra Government had recommended an investment of $28 bln to bring Mumbai's infrastructure atpar to World standard. So, Santosh is very much in range but, nothing is going to change.. Take my words.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 12:06
bull there is no meaning of comparison until one side is not prepared for that. the way indian economy is growing, cost of lands of mumbai will be sky high after 7-8 years and this will result in shifting these labor class living in these areas to some better home but at long distance. their colonies, located at long distance, will be connected with fast speed trains and these labor class will easily come to mumbai for work. and this will result in making top grade colonies in Mumbai. remember, no technology can be the best forever. if india will start bit late as compare to other cities of developed countries, india will use new technology to make city like Mumbai. and now do you wanna know how Mumbai will look after 2020, have a look on it: pictures are taken on night. give us 13-14 years, we will show you better pictures on day light.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 12:07
If the government of Maharashtra didn't learn its lesson last year after over 1000 lives were lost then what makes you think they would do now? It is always good to be optimistic but janaab, its my city. I know how things work over there. It took 10 years time for Railway officials to clear shanties to extend the Harbour line upto Vashi. Even I hope for things to change but this slow pace of development makes me rip my hairs off in angst. What an irony!! I am running a thread on Indian Infrastructure and state of my own city is such that roads have vanished and it resembles more like ghettos of Venice. 30-40 billion dollars? hell!! even 500 billion dollars won't make a drop of difference till the scum of Mumbai, the Jhopadpatties are removed jhopadpattiwallas are shifted out of city. Chinese government had the desire, will & volition to turn their city into New york equivalent. About our government.. lesser said the better...

Shantaram seems to find solace in Jhopadpattis, from safe distance of Sydney. :biggrin:

bull
06 Jul 06,, 12:09
If the government of Maharashtra didn't learn its lesson last year after over 1000 lives were lost then what makes you think they would do now?

Stop blaming the polticians!!!They are none but one among ourselves only.

The blame has to be with the Indian menatality of not even giving an ounce for the general good.Where have the inuuemerable action forces created by the public gone?Whare have the superstars of bollywood who did a marvel by brooming the streets of mumbai after last yrs flooding?

Mumbai sucks and will suck forever.nothing will change.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 12:11
no shanghai came directly from sky. mumbai has caliber to compete with city like shanghai. even 30-40 billion dollars investment can make changes, while india is one of the biggest economy of the world having one of the cheapest labor. we are doing well, be patient, we are just started. we will make so much changes that people will forget shanghai.
bull there is no meaning of comparison until one side is not prepared for that. the way indian economy is growing, cost of lands of mumbai will be sky high after 7-8 years and this will result in shifting these labor class living in these areas to some better home but at long distance. their colonies, located at long distance, will be connected with fast speed trains and these labor class will easily come to mumbai for work. and this will result in making top grade colonies in Mumbai. remember, no technology can be the best for ever. if india will start bit late as compare to other cities of developed countries, india will use new technology to make city like Mumbai. and now do you wanna know how Mumbai will look after 2020, have a look on it: pictures are taken on night. give us 13-14 years, we will show you better pictures on day light.

Shanghai and Singapore can use the Danda(cane), we cannot.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 12:13
Bull,

McKinsey in its report to Maharashtra Government had recommended an investment of $28 bln to bring Mumbai's infrastructure atpar to World standard. So, Santosh is very much in range but, nothing is going to change.. Take my words.

Imagine $28 billions in politicians hands. Scary!! :eek:

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 12:14

The blame has to be with the Indian menatality of not even giving an ounce for the general good.Where have the inuuemerable action forces created by the public gone?Whare have the superstars of bollywood who did a marvel by brooming the streets of mumbai after last yrs flooding?

I am afraid there's some truth in what you say.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 12:16

Bull india has even foreign reserve of about $162bn. even if government invest $30bn-$40bn on infrastructure, about 66% will be back by law of investment leaving almost no effect on foreign reserve. even country like Malaysia has depth/GDP ratio of 50% while that of india is just 15%, (about $120bn of $793bn economy).
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNI.pdf

india never tried to make infrastructure by taking depth. otherwise if india also try to make depth/GDP ratio of 50% like malaysia, india can invest about $300bn, just level middle order country like Malaysia, while about 66% of this $300bn, about $200bn will be even back by law of investment.

we never tried otherwise what Shanghai stand for???????????

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 12:21

And why do you suppose I shouldn't blame them? An average Bombayitte is councious about cleanliness except for those who live in jhopdis. You wouldn't come across many bombayittes who would chew 'Paan' and spit around you. They even take care to dispose off Pepsi/coke cups in the nearest public bin. Its these b@stard mahanagarpalika corporators & other politicians who are destroying the city. My mother told me an incident when she was in S'Pore and taxi driver told her that once he was in Mumbai and he saw a dead body lying in the middle of the road for 3 days and nobody bothered to remove it. Wow!!! what an everlasting impression the city leaves on visitors!!

Bollywood superstars!!! Don't get me started on those r@scals who till 10 years back made movoes specifically for the jhopadpattiwallas where the hero comes from a chawl & stands up against the villian who is often a construction honcho trying to annex their land. Shabana Azmi & Late Sunil Dutt have nursed these blood suckers like their kids.

bull
06 Jul 06,, 12:37
And why do you suppose I shouldn't blame them? An average Bombayitte is councious about cleanliness except for those who live in jhopdis. You wouldn't come across many bombayittes who would chew 'Paan' and spit around you. They even take care to dispose off Pepsi/coke cups in the nearest public bin. Its these b@stard mahanagarpalika corporators & other politicians who are destroying the city.

Peopl leaving in joparbatis are also mumbaikars,right??
I dont buy the POV that an avg mumbaikar is hygeien conscious,Ok might be at their home but outside they treat every road as a public toilet littering everywhere.And thats a Indian symptom and not confined to Mumbai alone.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 12:41

Why not?The state recieved huge chunk of money from the capital which disappered in thin air.We pay our taxes its upto the government to take care of our city.If a builder builds a building in a no development zone who's to be blamed for that the people or the state?Give me one good reason why the people should be blamed for whats happened and not the state/BMC...

bull
06 Jul 06,, 12:43
Why not?The state recieved huge chunk of money from the capital which disappered in thin air.We pay our taxes its upto the government to take care of our city.If a builder builds a building in a no development zone who's to be blamed for that the people or the state?Give me one good reason why the people should be blamed for whats happened and not the state/BMC...

Because they dont give up land for any development projects,they will file case after case in courts to stop the project,or will bribe the very same legislator whom you blame to stop the project.

Its simple as that.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 12:50
I dont buy the POV that an avg mumbaikar is hygeien conscious,Ok might be at their home but outside they treat every road as a public toilet littering everywhere.And thats a Indian symptom and not confined to Mumbai alone.

mubaikars comprises of people from every state of this country.Its a melting pot.Thousands of people flock into the city from all over the country for job opportunities and create a shanty of their own.Can these migrants be called "mubaikar"?Unless and until we stop migration into this city nothings going to change.They rehabilitate 100 another 1000 enter the slums.

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 12:50

I am sure you are not from Bombay & my guess is you havn't even visited the city once. An average Bombayitte isn't a paan chewing dehati who would go around painting the city red. Thats the reason Paan masala has the lowest sales in Mumbai. If there is anyone its these jhopadiwallas who arrive in loaded trains and immediately put their bamboos up in a barren piece of land. I don't consider them mumbaikars in any way since they just don't realize the essence of city. You might give whatever argument you want but thats not changing my perception. These gutter scums are the true cancer of Mumbai spreading unhygiene, crimes. There is no place for them in any society.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 13:00
Because they dont give up land for any development projects,they will file case after case in courts to stop the project,or will bribe the very same legislator whom you blame to stop the project.

Its simple as that.

I dont know what ur talking abt?If your talking abt citizens giving up their land against which is legally theirs than they have every right to object .But if ur demolishing illegal shanties for development beleive no would give a damn abt it other than *****es like Medha Patkar.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 13:01

Because you get the govt you vote for.

Not that politicians are the only people to be blamed...

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 13:05
I am sure you are not from Bombay & my guess is you havn't even visited the city once. An average Bombayitte isn't a paan chewing dehati who would go around painting the city red. Thats the reason Paan masala has the lowest sales in Mumbai. If there is anyone its these jhopadiwallas who arrive in loaded trains and immediately put their bamboos up in a barren piece of land. I don't consider them mumbaikars in any way since they just don't realize the essence of city. You might give whatever argument you want but thats not changing my perception. These gutter scums are the true cancer of Mumbai spreading unhygiene, crimes. There is no place for them in any society.

I understand your anger, Mumbai has reached a point of no return. Nothing short of nuking the place will change the way things have already come to. Only option is to vote with your feet. As difficult a decision that may for someone who grew up there...

bull
06 Jul 06,, 13:07
I am sure you are not from Bombay & my guess is you havn't even visited the city once.

im not from Mubai,but have worked and lived there.I had enough and called it off.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 13:20
Because you get the govt you vote for.

Not that politicians are the only people to be blamed...

Oh please dont give that crap.This year their was a ban on plastic bags in the city which the citizens obliged.Even with hundreds of crores of buget if they are incapable of cleaning the gutters they aren't setting high standards of efficiency

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 13:29
I understand your anger, Mumbai has reached a point of no return. Nothing short of nuking the place will change the way things have already come to. Only option is to vote with your feet. As difficult a decision that may for someone who grew up there...

Gilgamesh,

Mumbai & Mubaikars need a fair deal from the governent. Mumbaikkars are probably the hardest working people in India who start from their homes at 7 in the morning & reach around midnight. Some of them don't even get to see their children up during weekdays coz when they leave for their jobs their children are in bed & when they arrive home they again find their children are sleeping. If you've ever travelled in a Mumbai local train then you'd see many people dozing off on their seats coz they don't get enuf time to sleep either. Unlike us, most of these people arn't even worried about India-pak feud. Their biggest concern is to know if 7:15 Borivali-Churchgate fast local is running on time. Yet after having such a workaholic population still Mumbai is ranked at 151 in the best cities. Why is it & whom do we blame for it.

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 13:32
im not from Mubai
Its was obvious from your earlier posts.

but have worked and lived there.I had enough and called it off.

The city is everything about hardships and challenges in life where everyday is a struggle for survival.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 13:36
Oh please dont give that crap.This year their was a ban on plastic bags in the city which the citizens obliged.Even with hundreds of crores of buget if they are incapable of cleaning the gutters they aren't setting high standards of efficiency

If they chose, the middle class could have voted out politicians who encouraged slums. But they didn't. Same story in every city in India. Except more magnified in Bombay. One exception is Calcutta's subway(Delhi is still sparkling new, so we have to wait). I am told its very clean and people bash up those who litter. Vigilantism, sometimes it works.

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 13:39
Gilgamesh,

Mumbai & Mubaikars need a fair deal from the governent. Mumbaikkars are probably the hardest working people in India who start from their homes at 7 in the morning & reach around midnight. Some of them don't even get to see their children up during weekdays coz when they leave for their jobs their children are in bed & when they arrive home they again find their children are sleeping. If you've ever travelled in a Mumbai local train then you'd see many people dozing off on their seats coz they don't get enuf time to sleep either. Unlike us, most of these people arn't even worried about India-pak feud. Their biggest concern is to know if 7:15 Borivali-Churchgate fast local is running on time. Yet after having such a workaholic population still Mumbai is ranked at 151 in the best cities. Why is it & whom do we blame for it.

Indeed, you are right about Bombay's character. Rest of us are awed by Bombays work ethic. Although we are reluctant to admit it. As one reporter suggested, Bombay should go on a Tax revolt. 'Do what you want, we ain't paying taxes no more'. Maybe other cities will take cue and follow...

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 13:48
im not from Mubai,but have worked and lived there.I had enough and called it off.
Bull i dont know where you lived and how you lived in Mumbai or in Karachi. no mumbai man do toilet on road. what you talking about?????? you people are just dreaming and dont know the ground reality. even doing piss on the road in city like delhi is going against law. police will put you in jail. india is not the country like you thinking. time has changed bull and also changing rapidly. wake up. :rolleyes:

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 13:55
no return?????? wake up. what you talking about......... too many shops of even city like delhi have lost their half of space because of illegal makings on the road. bulldozers have run on them. government is just trying to make sure that the people living in those area would get better space somewhere else. within 5-6 years, things are going to change in such a way that you will come on the stage of suicide when you will see the development of Mumbai.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 14:08
Shantaram seems to find solace in Jhopadpattis, from safe distance of Sydney. :biggrin:
Beta Santosh uncle ne kya bola? pictures are taken in night.understand?

Akshay
06 Jul 06,, 14:11
no return?????? wake up. what you talking about......... too many shops of even city like delhi have lost their half of space because of illegal makings on the road. bulldozers have run on them. government is just trying to make sure that the people living in those area would get better space somewhere else. within 5-6 years, things are going to change in such a way that you will come on the stage of suicide when you will see the development of Mumbai.

Delhi is being window dressed for the 2010 Common wealth games. After the games, who knows?????

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 14:14
Bull i dont know where you lived and how you lived in Mumbai or in Karachi. no mumbai man do toilet on road. what you talking about?????? you people are just dreaming and dont know the ground reality. even doing piss on the road in city like delhi is going against law. police will put you in jail. india is not the country like you thinking. time has changed bull and also changing rapidly. wake up. :rolleyes:

No thats actually true but only in the slum infested areas . In New Bombay or South mumbai the guy would be kicked in the balls by the people for doing so.
What really ****s me up is that these illegal shaties get free 24 hrs electricity by stealing while many of the legal societies in the suburbs have to face power cuts.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 14:19

Its different in Mumbai 75% live in the slums.No government has the balls to roll bulldozers over them because they account to most of the votes.This year Deshmukh tried to demolish the shanties only to be stopped by Sonia .

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 14:28
Beta Santosh uncle ne kya bola? pictures are taken in night.understand?

Paajee, I was referring to Gregory David Roberts, the author of "Shantaram"(a novel about Bombay). He lives in Sydney, I think. No need to get riled up.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 14:32
Paajee, I was referring to Gregory David Roberts, the author of "Shantaram", a novel about Bombay. He lives in Sydney, I think.
o ok haha. sorry boss. but you know i thought you have seen sydney :biggrin: anyway thanks

gilgamesh
06 Jul 06,, 14:34
o ok haha. sorry boss. but you know i thought you have seen sydney :biggrin: anyway thanks

So tell me about Bondi Beach, is it a nudist colony... :biggrin:

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 14:51
No thats actually true but only in the slum infested areas . In New Bombay or South mumbai the guy would be kicked in the balls by the people for doing so.
What really ****s me up is that these illegal shaties get free 24 hrs electricity by stealing while many of the legal societies in the suburbs have to face power cuts.
dawng i tell you something, there is really nothing like you talking. Mumbai is not city like kanpur where people do stealing of electricity. the bollywood movies are mainly made showing what was happening during 80s and early nineties. the movies you watch dont show the real picture of what happening inside Mumbai or in India. for example, there was a time when Dawood Ibrahim was doing crimes in mumbai and bollywood stars were running to dubai. nowdays dawood has either suicided or gone somewhere forever and Prince of Saudi Arabia comes to india for having better relationship. the reason, total GDP of India was about US$3815.5bn on PPP in 2005 and now if you add GDP of all the countries starting from pakistan till turkey, their total GDPs will hardly touch US$3000bn mark. things are changing rapidly and have changed much. it nothing like what picture Mr Bull showed about Mumbai. too manything to see. Mumbai has many things and making many more.
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GDP_PPP.pdf

bull
06 Jul 06,, 14:55
dawng i tell you something, there is really nothing like you talking. Mumbai is not city like kanpur where people do stealing of electricity. the bollywood movies are mainly made showing what was happening during 80s and early nineties. the movies you watch dont show the real picture of what happening inside Mumbai or in India. for example, there was a time when Dawood Ibrahim was doing crimes in mumbai and bollywood stars were running to dubai. nowdays dawood has either suicided or gone somewhere forever and Prince of Saudi Arabia comes to india for having better relationship. the reason, total GDP of India was about US$3815.5bn on PPP in 2005 and now if you add GDP of all the countries starting from pakistan till turkey, their total GDP cant cross even $3000 mark. things are changing rapidly and have changed much. it nothing like what picture Mr Bull showed about Mumbai. too manything to see. Mumbai has many things and making many more.

GDP is so huge mainly bcoz of our sheer size.Its a volume game.look at the state of affairs of the roads,ports,aiports and buildings.No country could have managed such figs with such an infra.So hw did India manage it?mainly by concentrating on soft sectors like services which doesnt need hard infra.Lets see how it sustains the GDP growth with just services.

Agri and industrail sector will suffer in long term if Mumbai kind of situation continues.

Neo
06 Jul 06,, 15:00

Santosh ji,

Why bring in Karachi in an India specific thread? :confused:

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 15:05
So tell me about Bondi Beach, is it a nudist colony... :biggrin:
yaar tum to bahut kuchha jante ho.i was in sydney for last 3 years. came to perth for job. i worked in a restaurant on bondi beach on part time for 5-6 months during my studies. and about nudity..... sometimes i found many women with no cloth, came to shop, did piss in toilet and backed. leaving me helpless, me and my hands. life was shi….t :biggrin:

lemontree
06 Jul 06,, 15:13
My mother told me an incident when she was in S'Pore and taxi driver told her that once he was in Mumbai and he saw a dead body lying in the middle of the road for 3 days and nobody bothered to remove it. Wow!!! what an everlasting impression the city leaves on visitors!!

That taxi driver would be pulling a fast one. This can happen in UP and MP but not in Bombay.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 15:15
Santosh ji,

Why bring in Karachi in an India specific thread? :confused:
sorry sir. i think Karachi is one of the reputed city of the world and developing rapidly. i didnt mean that karachi is not a good city. i wanted to say that the particular person may be belonging to karachi and saying about mumbai. after first line to his response, i just said about mumbai. thanks

bull
06 Jul 06,, 15:18
sorry sir. i think Karachi is one of the reputed city of the world and developing rapidly. i didnt mean that karachi is not a good city. i wanted to say that the particular person may be belonging to karachi and saying about mumbai. after first line to his response, i just said about mumbai. thanks

message matters ,not the messenger!!!
It doesnt matter whether im from kandahar or Karachi.

Neo
06 Jul 06,, 15:28
Okay, no problemo!
Btw, you can see recent pictures of Karachi in muldimedia section. The thread is about tall buildings in Pakistan. :)

Neo
06 Jul 06,, 15:28
message matters ,not the messenger!!!
It doesnt matter whether im from kandahar or Karachi.
Thats true bro!

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 15:35
GDP is so huge mainly bcoz of our sheer size.Its a volume game.look at the state of affairs of the roads,ports,aiports and buildings.No country could have managed such figs with such an infra.So hw did India manage it?mainly by concentrating on soft sectors like services which doesnt need hard infra.Lets see how it sustains the GDP growth with just services.

Agri and industrail sector will suffer in long term if Mumbai kind of situation continues.
Bull i dont say infrastructure of india is very good but i can guarantee you haven’t been to either Mumbai or Delhi. if you come to cannaut place, it take no less than 12 hours to walk from first circle to last one if you want to have eyes on shops also. while this doesnt guarantee that you may see even 30% of the shops of CP. just in that area, no less than 1000s buildings are made which are sky high. if you want to take picture of that area, you cant find much difference with a shopping center of developed country. even if you go to south delhi, nehru place and…….. too much changes bull. my father has flat in noida which is now considered to be part of delhi while this is rely located in UP. and about delhi, man delhi was a state not city. becoz of contrustions, all gurgaon and noida from haryana and UP is now added to delhi. you cant just take picture of few colonies and say about whole city. while Mumbai is Big Bro of Delhi.

now tell me the meaning of big economy? what you mean by this? this refers to earning of a country. if a country earn this much money, it would be using somewhere. and where? just think total saving(investment)/GDP ratio of india was 29% last year. not much on infrastructure, then atleast in building or making something, this much money was used inside the country. isn’t it????? dont just guess. come to india and see how is that. even lucknow look far better than what you shown for mumbai. this is the colony where billionaires live????? there would be some colonies where all the industrialist would be living. and Mumbai?????? financial capital of india........... you know nothing about Mumbai bull. nothing. mumbai is made of 70% very poor and 30% rich and middle class. it just depends where you take your camera to.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 15:42
Okay, no problemo!
Btw, you can see recent pictures of Karachi in muldimedia section. The thread is about tall buildings in Pakistan. :)
i know little bit about karachi.its a quite developed city. one of my friend are from karachi. i have family friendship with them. they were originally from lucknow. they said about karachi. too many five star hotels, tall buildings and why not financial center of pakistan. my one friend said even about Islamabad also. he said it is a quit beautiful city. but yaap, someone said lahore need some more investment on her infrastructure. Thanks

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 15:48
dawng i tell you something, there is really nothing like you talking. Mumbai is not city like kanpur where people do stealing of electricity. the bollywood movies are mainly made showing what was happening during 80s and early nineties. the movies you watch dont show the real picture of what happening inside Mumbai or in India. for example, there was a time when Dawood Ibrahim was doing crimes in mumbai and bollywood stars were running to dubai. nowdays dawood has either suicided or gone somewhere forever and Prince of Saudi Arabia comes to india for having better relationship. the reason, total GDP of India was about US$3815.5bn on PPP in 2005 and now if you add GDP of all the countries starting from pakistan till turkey, their total GDP cant cross even $3000 mark. things are changing rapidly and have changed much. it nothing like what picture Mr Bull showed about Mumbai. too manything to see. Mumbai has many things and making many more.

Oh yes there is.Have you been on the western express highway from Kandivali to Borivali early morning?People take a damn on the roadsides same thing near the railway tracks. It really isn't a pretty site.

Neo
06 Jul 06,, 15:49
i know little bit about karachi.its a quite developed city. one of my friend are from karachi. i have family friendship with them. they were originally from lucknow. they said about karachi. too many five star hotels, tall buildings and why not financial center of pakistan. my one friend said even about Islamabad also. he said it is a quit beautiful city. but yaap, someone said lahore need some more investment on her infrastructure. Thanks
Karachi is well developped and a true metropole, 80% of our trade is done in and via Karachi.
But Islamabad is the cleanest and most modern city in Pakistan. Its was designed and built in 1953 by some greek architect and GoP has controlled the growth to avoid ghetto's and slums like Karachi, Lahore and other major cities developped in the eighties.

But back to Mumbai now! :)

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 15:55
Delhi is being window dressed for the 2010 Common wealth games. After the games, who knows?????
man money matters. think if you find you are having shop on the land which cost 40-50 lacs while you earn just 3-4 lacs from that shop. what you will do?????? when economy will take bigger shape, cost of lands will go high. and this will result in making bigger buildings and better infrastructure. the same thing happened in mumbai for last one decade. many people lost their home becoz builders wanted to make tall buildings there. when money will come inside the country, it will be invested somewhere and that will result in higher prices of those area which are located in middle and the end result will the shifting of labor class to better colonies which will be located at some distance from main Mumbai city.

and about delhi, even doing piss on the side of road is now a risk while making something....... no..... removing things was bit hard, making again is almost impossible.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 16:11
Santoshji,
The problem is that 1000's of people enter everyday in this city f'ing up the already f'ed up infrastructure.We need some strict migration laws for Mumbai.Give us a MAYOR who'll be accountable for the mishaps instead pointing fingers at each other.The government shudn't give them rehabilitation for free.They shud charge them nominal rent of it otherwise people from all over the country would come to this city build their own shanty and ask for rehabilitation.Beleive it or not but a shanty in dharavi would is rented at Rs.1000 to Rs.2000/Month.

percentage_plyr
06 Jul 06,, 16:17
bull,
its an exagerration to call mumbai the "world"s dirtiest city".....many cities in india & many more world over im sure would be much more filthy.

unless of course u wanted to divert a bit of attention off the ongoing india-pak./jana fiasco.

anyway,delhi in the past 4-5 has become a reasonalby ok city to live in.

bangalore,on the other hand has gone downhill.

Archer
06 Jul 06,, 18:23

That is a misconception. India's industrial sector is doing well, and pretty well at that. Talk to anyone in the business and they'll be glad to confirm, this includes industrial machinery -CNC items to high end castings etc and especially automotive components in which Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu are leaders. Also in services, the design component is increasing- which is fairly creditable as well. The services growth provides the "fizz" but the actual meat and muscle aint doing bad at all.

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 18:47
hi guys i tried to search some pictures of delhi but culdnt find much. most of the pictures i saw were of red fort, or other historical buildings. may be becoz people of the world are more interested in indian history as compared to tall buildings which is not that special for rest of the world. i may say too many buildings, roads and shopping complex are found there like these pictures shown. like if we start from ansal plaza................we may count no less than 1000 shopping complex of bit more or less standard are there. and roads, i think we may find subways on almost all the roads in cannaut place or in other major centers. and it take about more than one hour by car to reach center from noida on the same kind of roads shown in pictures. too many buildings like these pictures are just in CP and also too many in other centers. here two of these buildings are located in “residential area”. i may say we cant count how many of the buildings like these have been made in delhi and also being made in close areas of UP and haryana becoz there in no real space in “Delhi STATE”. Becoz "City NEW DELHI" is just tall buildings.

when i will back next time, i will take some good pictures and will post it. please have a look on what i culd find. source:
http://www.pbase.com/digitalfestival/newdelhi

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 19:11
i didnt have to show but ........... these are the luxury apartments in delhi state or the areas like gurgaon and noida located near that. i repeat these buildings are located in residential areas.

SLASH
06 Jul 06,, 19:11
hi guys i tried to search some pictures of delhi but culdnt find much. most of the pictures i saw were of red fort, or other historical buildings. may be becoz people of the world are more interested in indian history as compared to tall buildings which is not that special for rest of the world. i may say too many buildings, roads and shoping complex are found there like these pictures shown. like if we start from ansal plaza................we may count no less than 1000 shopping complex of bit more or less standard are there. and roads, i think we may find subways on almost all the roads in cannaut place or in other major centers.

when i will back next time, i will take some good pictures and will post it. please have a look on what i culd find. source:

Santoshji,
There is no doubt that things are changing.hell there are more multi storeyed buildings coming up in Mumbai.Just in the radius of 100m of my house in South Mumbai there are more than 15 buildings coming up including three 60 storeyed building(Tardeo Towers) and others more than 20 and 30 floors.Hell even the Slumdwellers at the tardeo tower site will be living in buildings ranging 14 floors to above 20 floor buildings (oh yeah its true,it true). There are going 52 malls coming up in Mumbai in the next couple of years.Reliance is coing up with mega township plans at Uran. Hiranandani,Powai will make u believe you've entered some other country

http://www.onlinerock.com/clubs/maharajblah/mumbai/hiranandani_gardens_-_powai1.jpg
http://realestatemumbai.com/images/gallery/Hira_off.jpg
http://www.indiabuildnet.com/arch/ahc-83.jpg

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 19:21
some more

santosh tiwari
06 Jul 06,, 19:27
some more

santosh tiwari
07 Jul 06,, 10:43
Santoshji,
There is no doubt that things are changing.hell there are more multi storeyed buildings coming up in Mumbai.Just in the radius of 100m of my house in South Mumbai there are more than 15 buildings coming up including three 60 storeyed building(Tardeo Towers) and others more than 20 and 30 floors.Hell even the Slumdwellers at the tardeo tower site will be living in buildings ranging 14 floors to above 20 floor buildings (oh yeah its true,it true). There are going 52 malls coming up in Mumbai in the next couple of years.Reliance is coing up with mega township plans at Uran. Hiranandani,Powai will make u believe you've entered some other country

http://www.pbase.com/digitalfestival/bombay_pune

santosh tiwari
07 Jul 06,, 10:50
Santoshji,

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/?id=102037

santosh tiwari
07 Jul 06,, 11:09
Santoshji,

http://www.pbase.com/digitalfestival/image/47246466

santosh tiwari
07 Jul 06,, 11:22
Santoshji,

http://test.weblogs.us/archives/008010.html

Hogzilla
08 Jul 06,, 21:23
The latest flodding has bought back the "crown of dirtiest city" to Mumbai once again.

Nothing new in that, coz things are slow there. Development in and around the western ghats which is so close is much prompter and world class.

Whats amusingis that Mumbai just doesnt stop there (sorry, don't know if this has been talk about already on the WAB, I was away) Mumbai is also declared the rudest city in the world according to a survey.

Link (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1664913,curpg-1.cms)

:frown: Mubai-kers are some of the sharpest/smartest humans that have ever walked this earth my opinion.

Akshay
09 Jul 06,, 06:07
That taxi driver would be pulling a fast one. This can happen in UP and MP but not in Bombay.

Capt. LT,

Believe me, till 10 years back things were that bad or even worse. I have lived my whole life in the city & I am aware of the working of Mahanagar Palika. I am sure even after 3 days it wasn't Mahanagar Palika that must've removed the body.. it would've probably been some social service organisation.

Gandhi
09 Jul 06,, 08:24
Namaste my Hindu Brethren,

Jai Hind! oi vei, Hai Ram Ram!!
India is becoming the centre of the universe, and we are building multi storey blocks, car parks, and the biggest skyscrapers in the world. Noone can do this, we will soon have accelerators in our multi storey buildings. Jai Hind! Oi hoy hoy! Ram Ram..

bull
09 Jul 06,, 08:30

India is becoming the centre of the universe, and we are building multi storey blocks, car parks, and the biggest skyscrapers in the world. Noone can do this, we will soon have accelerators in our multi storey buildings. Jai Hind! Oi hoy hoy! Ram Ram..

who is this guy???

Vaman
09 Jul 06,, 08:40
Not Gandhi, but thats obvious.
Not someone who's too bright either. "Accelerators" in buildings? what next, steering wheels and a gear box as well? Sounds like Assim though.

Neo
09 Jul 06,, 08:49
who is this guy???
Some one who badly needs decafe? :biggrin:

Akshay
09 Jul 06,, 08:50
who is this guy???

Someone from PDF suffering from acute inferiority complex and looking for solace in anti-India threads

santosh tiwari
09 Jul 06,, 12:45

hey man hindu religion is really good. if you wish i may suggest you how you may adopt it. anyway. nothing can be changed overnight but i assure you, things are getting changed and have changed much. it wont take more than 10-12 years to clear the real picture of new india. thanks

bull
09 Jul 06,, 13:43
Not Gandhi, but thats obvious.
Not someone who's too bright either. "Accelerators" in buildings? what next, steering wheels and a gear box as well? Sounds like Assim though.

Why do you bring in names?,when you dont have any proof?

Akshay
09 Jul 06,, 19:30
hey man hindu religion is really good. if you wish i may suggest you how you may adopt it. anyway. nothing can be changed overnight but i assure you, things are getting changed and have changed much. it wont take more than 10-12 years to clear the real picture of new india. thanks

Santosh,

don't feed this troll. He is clearly a PDF bug who has lost his way & reached here.

santosh tiwari
10 Jul 06,, 02:05
Santosh,

don't feed this troll. He is clearly a PDF bug who has lost his way & reached here.
:biggrin:

Vaman
10 Jul 06,, 09:25
Why do you bring in names?,when you dont have any proof?
i said he SOUNDS like him. Do I have proof>? No.