Canadian broken wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian broken wings

It came to my attention just recently. Did anyone know the real agenda behind CF-105 program cancellation? Cause if I am reading the reasons right, at least if what the Canadians said is true, than it is clear that the U.S. cannot call it self a leader of the free world. I mean, forcing an allied country on that way, seems to me too brutal for someone that claims to be top-notch democracy.

Originally posted by Versus
    It came to my attention just recently. Did anyone know the real agenda behind CF-105 program cancellation? Cause if I am reading the reasons right, at least if what the Canadians said is true, than it is clear that the U.S. cannot call it self a leader of the free world. I mean, forcing an allied country on that way, seems to me too brutal for someone that claims to be top-notch democracy.
    The Avro Arrow was designed as a high speed interceptor to take down Soviet Bombers.

The real agenda was this, the military couldn't afford to develop the Arrow on their own and either needed massive foreign investment or major help from the Canadian Government. Contrary to some popular beliefs of Canadians jet fighters are not cheap to develop.

The Canadian Government in the end opted to buy missile interceptors from the U.S rather then continueing development on the Arrow. There are questions regarding this because the two men allegidly made the decision while talking alone together and because there was questions concerning how effective the U.S missile interceptors were.

In the end though we lost the Avro Arrow because our own government didn't want to foot the bill. The U.S certainly didn't *force* us to do anything.
    Last edited by canoe; 05 Jul 06,, 19:48.

Comment

Ok, I understand that. Sad though, it was an awesome project in many aspects.
      Last edited by Versus; 06 Jul 06,, 06:50.

Comment

if it wasn't for the extreme costs. the cf 105 arrow would have been the worlds premier interceptor..it had many firsts in aviation. many of the ppl involved in the project enden up working for NASA or companies such as Lockheed...

Comment

Wasn't the Arrow being developed at the same time as the British TR-1 and the F-111, during the late 1960s? During the 1960s the F-4 Phantom IIs were the cream of the crop of fighter/bombers.

As the 70s came and went, America developed the F-14, F-15, F-16, and later the F/A-18. The British, Italians, and West Germans developed the Tornado.

Canada eventually chose the F/A-18s with a smiliar performance of the F-4, their dual engines providing a safety factor over the broad northern regions of Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Toby
            Wasn't the Arrow being developed at the same time as the British TR-1 and the F-111, during the late 1960s? During the 1960s the F-4 Phantom IIs were the cream of the crop of fighter/bombers.

As the 70s came and went, America developed the F-14, F-15, F-16, and later the F/A-18. The British, Italians, and West Germans developed the Tornado.

Canada eventually chose the F/A-18s with a smiliar performance of the F-4, their dual engines providing a safety factor over the broad northern regions of Canada.
            The arrow was from the late 50's early 60's

Comment

It was happening around the same time the XB-70 and the XF-108 were being tested or proposed, respectively.

Comment

Whats most obvious of the Arrow debacle,the Americans don't want Canada building and selling a better aircraft to their potential customers.They apply all sorts of unofficial pressure and coercion,read Skullduggery,who knows who was paid off.Arrow is scrapped,Canadian aerospace industry kicked in the balls,all the talented engineers go south to work for the competition,a few years down the road they sell Canada the the F101 Voodoo.Truly a National disgrace.

Comment

Working...
                X