what if you are declared innocent by court after death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if you are declared innocent by court after death

What will be your reaction after the court declares you innocent after your death

http://www.telegraphindia.com/106070...ry_6422917.asp

Declared innocent after death
    OUR LEGAL REPORTER
    Calcutta, June 30: A fortnight after Shankar Biswas died having spent eight years in jail and suffered from acute depression, Calcutta High Court declared him innocent.
    “The prosecution has failed to prove that Shankar Biswas was responsible for his wife’s death,” the court said.
    Two leaders of the CPM women’s wing, Mary Mahato and Moitrayee Chowdhury, were held responsible for instigating people against Biswas, a primary school teacher.
    Convicted for abetting his wife Jaya’s suicide in 1998, Biswas was released from Midnapore Central Jail only last month.
    The division bench of Justices Aloke Kumar Basu and Tapas Giri today said: “The women leaders forced Jaya’s brother Biswajit Sen and his wife Swapna to lodge an FIR against Shankar Biswas.”
    In January 1992, Biswas, a resident of Raghunathpur in West Midnapore’s Jhargram, married Jaya, a resident of Krishnagar in Nadia.
    Within a fortnight of marriage, Jaya consumed sleeping pills. She was hospitalised in an unconscious state and died before Biswajit and Swapna arrived.
    Immediately after the death, a mob led by the Ganatantrik Mahila Samiti leaders gheraoed Jhargram police station and Biswajit and Swapna lodged the complaint alleging that Jaya committed suicide unable to bear her husband and mother-in-law’s torture.
    In February 1998, a Midnapore additional sessions judge declared them guilty and sentenced them to eight years’ rigorous imprisonment.

Isn't this question worded a little silly? How could I have any reaction of any sort to anything AFTER I'm dead?

Of course, my heirs will try to sue the hell out of the prosecutors, but they have set the laws that mistakes and misinterpretations on THEIR parts is not illegal and not subject to redress.

The best my heirs could do is publicly disgrace the prosecutors - but at the risk of being charged with slander.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I believe that's why he put a after the question.

Personally, things like this are why I'm at best ambivalent about the death penalty, and generally opposed to it.

(edit) And yes, I am aware that the guy in question was not executed.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewS
        What will be your reaction after the court declares you innocent after your death
        "Hmph...figures "
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
          "Hmph...figures "
          Haunt the judge or jury.

Comment

Remain dead?
            "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN
              Remain dead?
              and hunt the judge keep him restless in his chair
              rather when hez tryin to sit just drag the chair from behind

Comment

Thats why we have DNA testing.

Granted, its not available to every law enforcement agency and court facility but I would imagine that India has some sort of national crime lab right? In this day and age I find it hard to belive they wouldent use DNA to prove something beyond a resonable doubt.

Comment

i think that since someone being imprisoned and/or executed wrongly is such a small percentage that the benefits outweigh the negatives - many many MANY more guilty people are arrested and convicted. Also, much of the time, if someone is arrested and convicted of a crime they did not commit, then they are more than likely guilty of some other punishable crime. The average person, who is sitting around behaving themself is not going to be arrested, tried and convicted.
                  "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewS
                    you suck it up and carry on with the afterlife or whatever...eh?

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                      The average person, who is sitting around behaving themself is not going to be arrested, tried and convicted.
                      Agreed. Rarely is it the case these days especially that a law-abiding citizen with a clean record just happens to end up sitting in Old Sparky or getting a rather permenant IV placed in their arm.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

come back to life ...

Comment

Interesting article I read recently. Think it was in the New York Times Magazine, so of course it's all liberal propaganda, lies and nonsense.

Anyhow, the article was about this dude who spent 19 years in prison for rape and possibly murder, can't recall for sure. DNA testing exonerated him. The really weird thing is, the same DNA sample which freed him implicated one of his brothers, who is now on trial for the same crime.
                          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

It's all in the timing...

This thread suddenly takes on a new relevance! Kenneth Lay died without being able to file an appeal of his conviction. Precedent says he cannot be convicted since he won't be able to appeal. Prosecutors are now going to have a difficult time seizing all of his assets ($49 mil) now that he is "not guilty".
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

The state of Georgia recently exonerated a woman excuted decades ago for killing her owner/employer. She was black. She killed him because she said he wanted to rape her.

So these things do happen. I don't know anything else about the case. I just read a small newspaper story tucked away in the middle of the paper.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X