• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army avenges fallen heroes.

Our fallen heroes avenged

By TOM NEWTON-DUNN
    Defence Editor

TROOPS avenged the killing of two British comrades yesterday with a ferocious counter-attack that left up to THIRTY Afghan rebels dead.

Warplanes, attack helicopters and artillery spearheaded the blitz after the bloodthirsty fanatics ambushed a special forces patrol.

Dozens of Taliban were wounded during the huge 90-minute night battle — in which one of their senior commanders was killed.

Others were wiped out as they fled — pursued by British troops, Apache gunships and RAF Harrier jets.

One of the two Britons who died in the ambush was a member of the Special Boat Service. The other was from the newly-formed Special Forces Support Group.

Insignia ... Special Forces Support Group

They were in a 30-strong patrol taking four captured Taliban bombers to base in southern Afghanistan when all hell broke loose.

Up to 75 heavily-armed fanatics were lying in wait as the convoy approached a valley in rebel-held mountains. One of the dead soldiers is feared to have been shot by a sniper.

The troops called for back-up as the rebels pinned them down with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

A platoon of 30 Gurkhas raced to their rescue — but one of their Land Rovers was immediately hit by an RPG. That left no option but to call in the heavy mob. Paras shelled the enemy with artillery as warplanes screamed overhead.

A huge US B1 bomber was also scrambled. The battle was one of the most intense so far in a mission by 3,500 troops launched six weeks ago to bring security to lawless Helmand province.

30 British Army Gurkhas took part in the attack, along with RAF Apache gunships and Harrier Jets.

A commando injured in the ambush near the hotspot town of Sangin was evacuated to a field hospital at the British desert HQ Camp Bastion. Claims that the convoy was vulnerable because it was using open-topped vehicles were rubbished last night.

Senior military sources said Special Forces preferred their speed and manoeuvrability to slower armoured vehicles.

Last night the names of the troops killed were being withheld until their families had been informed. Defence Secretary Des Browne offered his “deepest sympathy” to the men’s loved ones as he attended a Veterans’ Day event in London.

AN SAS hero forced to quit after suffering terrible head injuries from a mortar explosion during an exercise launched a court battle with the MoD for £4million compensation yesterday.

thesun.co.uk

Chew 'em up guys!
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Gurkhas are dangerous!!! During the Falkland wars, at one instance didn't the Argentinians surrender simply upon hearing that the British forces had brought in the Gurkhas???
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic
        Gurkhas are dangerous!!! During the Falkland wars, at one instance didn't the Argentinians surrender simply upon hearing that the British forces had brought in the Gurkhas???
        Yup. However, that had a lot to do with Argentine propaganda that sought to portray them as bloodthirsty mercenaries and quite probably cannibals to boot in an effort to hurt the UK internationally. That didn't seem to have much of an effect, but it apparently did terrify their own conscripts into surrendering very early on when the Gurkhas finally got into action.
        It's worth pointing out at this point however that the war was virtually over by the time the Gurkhas got into the action - IIRC stanley surrendered the same day.
        Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
        Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

Originally posted by pdf27
          Yup. However, that had a lot to do with Argentine propaganda that sought to portray them as bloodthirsty mercenaries and quite probably cannibals to boot in an effort to hurt the UK internationally.
          Funny, that would make me not want to surrender. ;)
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
            Funny, that would make me not want to surrender. ;)
            Yep, that was funny
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Boltonian
              Our fallen heroes avenged

30 British Army Gurkhas took part in the attack, along with RAF Apache gunships and Harrier Jets.

thesun.co.uk

Now that's a war face!
              Originally posted by GVChamp
              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                Yep, that was funny
                The Gurkhas have always had such a place in British military and popular imagination - I remember from GW1 (I wasnt all that old) watching an article on the news how the Gurkhas had their own rations, including goat...

Given the manpower probs in the British army, I'd start recruiting lots more of them, they'd be quite at home in the mountains of Afghanistan...

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather
                  The Gurkhas have always had such a place in British military and popular imagination - I remember from GW1 (I wasnt all that old) watching an article on the news how the Gurkhas had their own rations, including goat...

Given the manpower probs in the British army, I'd start recruiting lots more of them, they'd be quite at home in the mountains of Afghanistan...
                  Not tried it myself, but apparently if you ever find yourself doubting the courage of the Gurkhas just try eating one of their goat curries...
                  Couple of mates of mine were down at Shorncliffe for a course on tuesday. Apparently it's curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Comment

Ouch.. has logistical implications for toilet roll....

Comment

Do they actually carry those knives into combat? Does anyone know when they were last used in a combat situation? WW2 or Korea maybe?

Comment

more innocent men will be killed for our country unless real acion is tkaen to stablize Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                          Do they actually carry those knives into combat? Does anyone know when they were last used in a combat situation? WW2 or Korea maybe?
                          most recently... Kargil... and yes they carry those knives into combat.. they're called the "Khukris"
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

How come the Brits are allowed "revenge" for (no offense) a couple of guys and we were urged restraint for 3,000 on 9/11?

The world, the press, and all of the bullsh!t hypocrites and hand-wringers can eat my a$$. Time for some killin'.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                              How come the Brits are allowed "revenge" for (no offense) a couple of guys and we were urged restraint for 3,000 on 9/11?

The world, the press, and all of the bullsh!t hypocrites and hand-wringers can eat my a$$. Time for some killin'.

-dale
                              We have a better PR system (we have after all had a few more centuries to get it right). Watch and learn

OK, seriously for a change this is an article in the Sun. It's definately part of the gutter press so will always exaggerate everything - see for instance the way they wrote up the "bayonet charge" in Al-Amarah a couple of years ago. Everyone is always a "hero", "villain", etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X