Here's a crazy idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a crazy idea

So we have all agreed that the Super Bug, while a good all round aircraft, is rather lacking in the fleet air defence and long range strike roles. I have also heard it said that the Su-30MKI is one of the best fighters operational today. So; how about the navy buying a bunch of Su-27K airframes, putting American avionics in 'em, maybe upgrading the engines, and all around taking advantage of their undoubtedly good general design. That should give us a pretty good air superiority and heavy strike capability. And before you jump on me, I did say it was crazy.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Not a crazy idea. A retired Navy admiral seriously considered this and even proposed this. I still got the pic of the 2 flankers with US Navy markings. According to someone on this forum, it was photoshopped.=D

Comment

Sounds plausible to me. After upgrading the airframes with American avionics the aircraft could become very capable interceptors, though not as good as the recently retired F-14 Tomcat.

But it would dent our national pride way too much to be using aircraft designed by what was once our archenemy...
      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
        Sounds plausible to me. After upgrading the airframes with American avionics the aircraft could become very capable interceptors, though not as good as the recently retired F-14 Tomcat.

But it would dent our national pride way too much to be using aircraft designed by what was once our archenemy...
        Alternatively, I rekcon it would do wonders for world stability - showing that the US/Russia are willing to co-operate.

But of course, due to the pride thing you list above, world leaders are too pig-headed to see things that way... :P

Also, with modern avionics/weapons integration, I reckon the SU-35 could be even better than the F14 for fleet defense.

I think, however that the F35 is likely to be ready before the politics could be ironed out, and the western avionics, etc integrated into the SU35...

Comment

IMO not a good idea.
          Has anyone ever bothered to look at the Flankers poor reliability record? That there maintenance and service rates are usually 3-4 times higher than that of there western counterparts, plus Sukhois tragic crash record should be taken into account too.

Comment

I believe the Mexican navy is currently considering buying SU-27s after turning down an offer for Grippens. The Mexican air force will probably follow the navy's lead and replace their ageing F-5s with SU-27s. If this happens then I'm sure US upgrades of the airframe, engines and avionics would definitely be probable. The idea is not as farfetched as it sounds.
            Last edited by sappersgt; 24 Jun 06,, 09:10.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

That was the idea all along. Buy just the airframe, stuff it with american avionics, engines, and re-engineer the hardpoints to accept nato compatible launcher units etc.

The Su-27s do have a good reliable air frame. Its current unreliabilities come from the Russian stuffing inside i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10

Remeber that first Gen American jets had a LOT of German technology in them, as did their Soviet counter-parts.
                But yeah this will never happen, even if an 'Americanized' Flanker (I propose the name 'Yank-Flanker') would prove to be better for AD than the SuperBug and cheaper to operate than the Tomcat. Believe it or not, the RAAF did actually consider Super-Flankers and Strike Flankers to fill out our new fighter requirement but they were rather rapidly bumped from the list due 'political concerns' and a lack of stealth.

Comment

Sound fine.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
                    Believe it or not, the RAAF did actually consider Super-Flankers and Strike Flankers to fill out our new fighter requirement but they were rather rapidly bumped from the list due 'political concerns' and a lack of stealth.
                    The RAAF also collected data on serious maintenance and parts supply issues, the same issues the Idonesians and the Malaysians are having to deal with, which was another reason the Flanker was bumped from the list.

Comment

Waste of time. You want to replace avionics, engines, pretty much everything and put it in a SU airframe.

SO do you mod the airframe to fit the upgraded western equipment or mod the equipment to fit the airframe.

Cheaper, just to design a new plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape

Cheaper, just to design a new plane.
                        From scratch? Maybe, maybe not.

However, when there's already several better options either in service or in the final stages of development (Eurofighter, JSF, etc), it's a no brainer.

Comment

Whatever people think, political reasons are quite a valid factor. You can not use hardware of the country which is not your most closest aly.... unless you got technology to manufacture most critical details - like India/China.

Both were provided with technological support to manufacture engine parts and other most crutial parts domestically. Unfortunatelly both are yet not ready to take this technologies - it is not easy for them to build reliable expertise in turbine blades for Flankers. Still it is matter of time - in few years (5-7) both Indians and Chinese would have everything to sustain their Flankers regardless of Russian supplies.

For the same reason - RUSSIA WILL NEVER USE WESTERN MILLITARY AIRCRAFT => => RUSSIA WILL HAVE 5TH GENERATION FIGHTER MATCHING OR OUTPERFORMING RAPTOR

Comment

Long-ranged strike will (hopefully) be handled by the F-35 and/or J-UCAS.

Adding uprated engines and longer-ranged missiles to the Super Bug will help with its fleet air defense mission.

GE has tested components for future F414s with up to 20-25% more thrust.

On the missile front, AIM-120D will help considerably, and if needed, I'm sure the Euros would let us in on Meteor development.

Plus some day there may be JDRADM.

In addition, the fleet air defense role will get help from Hawkeye improvments, CEC, and other C4ISR enhancements.

Comment

erm... I'm not that sure if the Euros are really gonna "let" the US into the Meteor's development. But if u guys wanna buy it, i'm sure they have no qualms about selling you'all a slightly watered down export variant.

Go with the AMRAAM-D. =) Or start developing another FRAAM on ur own.

Comment

Working...
                              X