PDA

View Full Version : What If ... ?

scotsboyuk
16 Jun 06,, 17:11
Someone suggests a scenario and others suggest possible outcomes. I'll start ...

What if the Western Roman Empire had not declined as it did during the fifth century?

ASG
17 Jun 06,, 06:37
What if the Western Roman Empire had not declined as it did during the fifth century?

Why not?

You'll need to take out earthquakes, diseases, The Huns, The Barbarians, Roman Emperors themselves, out of the equation to achieve that.

Not to forget the Praetorian Gaurds, who defeated the very purpose of their own existence, by assassinating the Emperors themselves.

What else...? :confused: :rolleyes:

The face of the world we have today would have been very different.

Trajan
17 Jun 06,, 11:33
What if....Alexander the Great had not been stopped by his troops in India? *dun dun dunnnnn*

scotsboyuk
17 Jun 06,, 18:34
@Trajan

That's a good one! :) I would suggest Alexander might have turned his attention westwards and conquered much of Europe and the Mediterranean. His empire would likely still have split apart after his death though.

What if ... Germany had not been defeated in WWII? (Someone was bound to include this one sooner or later.)

dalem
18 Jun 06,, 02:27
What if I had f*cked Trish B that second time instead of letting my pride direct me out the door?

-dale

troung
18 Jun 06,, 03:51
What if....Alexander the Great had not been stopped by his troops in India? *dun dun dunnnnn*

He keeps marching into India and either loses and gets killed, gets killed by his own army, or gets beaten and goes home in defeat and turns up dead during the retreat or get used by local kings to settle local disputes and breaks his army.

What if I had f*cked Trish B that second time instead of letting my pride direct me out the door?

Good question... you would be a father, married to her or have caught something... don't know... hard to say not knowing her or you really well...

Trajan
20 Jun 06,, 14:18
What if Quintilius Varus had never led his three legions into Germania under the proffered advice of Arminius?

sparten
20 Jun 06,, 15:07
What if Quintilius Varus had never led his three legions into Germania under the proffered advice of Arminius?
Not much, the Romans had little interest in the area across the Rhine.

PubFather
20 Jun 06,, 16:56
@Trajan

That's a good one! :) I would suggest Alexander might have turned his attention westwards and conquered much of Europe and the Mediterranean. His empire would likely still have split apart after his death though.

What if ... Germany had not been defeated in WWII? (Someone was bound to include this one sooner or later.)
I suspect something not dissimilar to "Fatherland" by Robert Harris. The Germans in a cold war type situation with the USA, fighting a long guerilla war beyond the Urals with the remains of the Soviet Union, lots of insurgencies surviving in Eastern Europe/Western Russia.

The "thousand year Reich" probably then collapses under the weight of its own incompetence, presumably after the death of dear old Adolf.

PubFather
20 Jun 06,, 16:57
Another WWII what if...

What if the USA never joins the war against Hitler, and concentrates solely on Japan?

sparten
20 Jun 06,, 17:29
Another WWII what if...

What if the USA never joins the war against Hitler, and concentrates solely on Japan?
Very unlikely. First year would have been the same in the Pac. As for ETO, well the US was already involved lend lease and all. And in the end the British Empire could have defeated the Germans, eventually.

PubFather
20 Jun 06,, 19:40
I'm not so sure - if Hitler doesnt declare war then Roosevelt may decide to concentrate on Japan after PH.

Lend-lease is great - but only if it actually gets to the UK/USSR. Would the USA continue to build (and more importantly fund) the Liberty ships without being at war with Germany?

My best guess is an eventual stalemate in the East - possibly with the Soviets pushed as far as the Urals (Hitler's "final destination"). Without US assistance in North Africa , and with no allied threat on France, Britain's position in the Med and Mid-East become untenable. The empire to the east is effectively lost. Britain might soldier on - or make peace after a general election.

Does the USA jump straight into a war with Hitler after defeating Japan? Or are they content to see the Germans ground down and enter a "cold war" state. Nukes are the other "unknowable" - Germans were working towards one....

Trajan
21 Jun 06,, 20:22
Not much, the Romans had little interest in the area across the Rhine.

They had very little interest only after Varus and his three legions were slaughtered.

gunnut
21 Jun 06,, 21:52
I'm not so sure - if Hitler doesnt declare war then Roosevelt may decide to concentrate on Japan after PH.

We would have found an excuse to declare war on Germany.

Remember, we were already fighting a secret war against Germany in 1940. Pearl Harbor just gave us the perfect reason to actually declare war. Hitler merely made the motion faster in Congress.

gunnut
21 Jun 06,, 21:53

-dale

The bitterness is strong with this one.... :biggrin: