RAF Lossie plays host to UK and US Air Forces exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF Lossie plays host to UK and US Air Forces exercises

A Moray airbase is playing host to a special training exercise to strengthen working relations between Allied Forces. More than seventy US Navy personnel are at RAF Lossiemouth where UK Tornado's and US Navy F-18E Super Hornet's will take to the skies to move through some manoeuvrers together. Five of the new generation American 'Top Gun' jets have been based at RAF Lossiemouth for the past week and a half. The VFA 14 Squadron were invited across the Atlantic by their Scottish counterparts at 14 Squadron Lossiemouth to help celebrate their 90th anniversary, but it is more hard work than play.The detachment is due to finish at the end of the week. All those involved say exercises like these are vital for Allied Forces to learn about each others' methods and tactics - a must in modern operations.

http://www.idrw.org/index.php?catego..._articleid=103

F/A-18Es against Tornados? Why not F/A-18Es against EF-2000s? That would be a better match. Here, I'd say the F-18s would probably win against the Tornados. However, if there were Typhoons, the Hornets would get beaten.

Comment

The Tornados had a pretty good record against F15's n F16s in BVR.

AFAIK, the only operational Typhoon squadron is No.3 squadron - and I believe they are heavily involved in training etc. It is not yet fully operational - although I agree it might have been an idea to include the Typhoons as part of the excercise to get them to operational status.

Comment

Working...
      X