PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

Chris
04 Jun 06,, 01:48
I saw the 'The Da Vinci Code' last week not knowing what to expect having not read the book and having seen reviews ranging from the best film ever to the worst film ever made.

I personally thought the film wasn't that bad but have heard from friends who have read the book it was a big let down by comparison.

Clearly there has been a lot of political debate, media hype and controversy surrounding the book and subsequent film. A lot of the story line is debatable but what does everyone here who has either read the book, seen the movie or both think?

- Chris

bigross86
04 Jun 06,, 02:11
I just got back from watching it. Big, big disapointment, the ending was a complete letdown. Plus they left out some major parts in the middle.

bonehead
04 Jun 06,, 02:20
After being confronted by people from both sides of the issue. I am getting the idea that neither side is giving the whole story. Considering the persecution of the catholic church towards scientist, it is not unreasonable to believe the scientist would set up a secret society. Unfortunately, any evidence of such a society has or ever existed is inconclusive at best. it is aslo well known that the pope once held "God like" power over the masses and it is only reasonable that the church would desire to hold onto such power by any means neccessary. For mankind's history, the general rule was that history is written by those who in power at the time so I have absolutely no doubt that the details many of histories most defining moments are incomplete at best and some are just simply erronous. Too much of our history has been sanitized, swept aside, and lost forever. As for the book/movie, they are facinating, but short on proof. In the end, we can only argue from want we want to believe what happened since there are too few precious facts and proofs for thinking people to waste their time on either arguing for or against.

The Chap
04 Jun 06,, 03:01
Piss poor kack. Not worth a flight. Tedious. Schoolboy prose (and that from ME) :mad:

Gun Grape
04 Jun 06,, 20:12
Its fiction. Nothing more.

The Church looked bad by wanting a disclaimer at the start of the movie. Seeems they think their followers are stupid.

As did the talk show host that claim its a vast antireligon attack by hollywood.

I'm reading the book now, havn't seen the movie. But I have yet to see a movie that was as good as the book it was based on.

leib10
04 Jun 06,, 20:58
Agreed. If the Church's members can't distinguish between truth and untruth, between a book that's survived for thousands of years or a book that was written but years ago, their faith is weak and they might as well believe that trash.

Bill
04 Jun 06,, 22:05
I saw the movie the other night.

Much adieu about nothing IMO, but then, i am not a christian. After seeing that movie, i am quite certain i got at least that much right in life, lolol.

leib10
04 Jun 06,, 22:08
Well if that's the limit of your exposure to Christianity, forgive me for saying that you're missing out. ;)

T-bone
04 Jun 06,, 22:08
It made me fall asleep. :rolleyes:

platinum786
05 Jun 06,, 10:26
I was going to see it, but it looks boring, the negative reviews put me off too, watch X-men 3, the best movie ever (after lord of the rings all of them....)....

Archer
05 Jun 06,, 17:00
I saw the 'The Da Vinci Code' last week not knowing what to expect having not read the book and having seen reviews ranging from the best film ever to the worst film ever made.

I personally thought the film wasn't that bad but have heard from friends who have read the book it was a big let down by comparison.

Clearly there has been a lot of political debate, media hype and controversy surrounding the book and subsequent film. A lot of the story line is debatable but what does everyone here who has either read the book, seen the movie or both think?

- Chris

The actress is hot. :biggrin:

gunnut
05 Jun 06,, 23:10
I never read the book. Saw the movie. It was entertaining. It's like a darker version of National Treasure without the feel good part.

I'm not a Christian but I do think there's an anti-church movement on the left. That being said, I think Ron Howard did a good job to inject skepticism about Dan Brown's sketpicism about the church by questioning all the supposed "facts" cited in the book.

It's entertainment. Nothing more. If there's more like what Dan Brown claimed in the book, then he needs to offer some more concrete proofs.

RustyBattleship
06 Jun 06,, 01:49
You people DO realize however that back in 1993 the guy who wrote the book denied it to be a hoax BUT admitted it really was ALL FICTION.

percentage_plyr
07 Jun 06,, 12:00
But I have yet to see a movie that was as good as the book it was based on.

totally agree.

maybe GODFATHER2 was a good try though.

sappersgt
08 Jun 06,, 19:22
totally agree.

Gorky Park. The dialogue is verbatim from the book.

I saw the DaVinci Code yesterday. It was entertaining. I was already familiar with the subject matter (and Dan Brown) so no surprises there. There was one scene I was surprised at as it was based on a true story. :eek:

leib10
08 Jun 06,, 20:49
You people DO realize however that back in 1993 the guy who wrote the book denied it to be a hoax BUT admitted it really was ALL FICTION.

And that's what some people just can't seem to get straight. Oh well, let them waste their time chasing truth when all they'll find is fiction.

Neo
08 Jun 06,, 23:30
Just saw the movie, its brilliant!

The Chap
13 Jun 06,, 03:30
Just saw the movie, its brilliant!

If even the longest journey starts with a single step;

An initial trip may augue poorly. :redface:

TopHatter
13 Jun 06,, 04:13
Except that Godfather 2 only incorporated a single chapter from the original book. (Young Vito)

The rest of Godfather 2 was an original screenplay. ;)

Wraith601
16 Jun 06,, 09:34
But I have yet to see a movie that was as good as the book it was based on.

Hunt for Red October was pretty good, the only Clancy book that wasn't absolutely raped when it was made into a movie.

ASG
16 Jun 06,, 12:42
The movie is not going to shake anyone's faith. The novel might.