The world economy to 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world economy to 2020

The world economy to 2020: A tale of three countries China, US and India to drive global growth; Brazil and Russia to disappoint
    Almost 40% of the increase in global GDP in the coming 15 years will come from China (27%) and India (12%). Brazil and Russia trail in their wake, each contributing just over 2% to the increase in world GDP between now and 2020.

This is one highlight of Foresight 2020, a major new research report launched today by the Economist Intelligence Unit, sponsored by Cisco Systems. The research is based on new long-term economic forecasts, a survey of more than 1,650 executives and a series of in-depth interviews with senior executives.

Other key findings from the study:

The US, which will account for 16% of the world's growth, will remain a world leader and will continue to outpace other major developed economies between now and 2020.
    The US is forecast to grow by almost 3% a year, compared with 2.1% for the EU25 and less than 1% for Japan, whose population will be shrinking.
    The EU will make up for slower growth through territorial expansion, growing to a club of more than 30 countries, but the average income of the expanded EU will be only 56% of the US average in 2020.
    China will have closed the gap in economic size with the US by 2020 and Asia will increase its share of world GDP, measured at purchasing power parity/PPP, from 35% in 2005 to 43% in 2020.
    But talk of Asia's century is premature. “On a per-capita basis, China and India will remain far poorer than Western markets and the region faces a host of downside risks,” says Laza Kekic, director of forecasting services at the Economist Intelligence Unit. “Asia will narrow the gap in wealth, power and influence, but will not close it.”

The pace of globalisation will be critical to global economic growth. Under the report's baseline scenario of further, gradual trade liberalisation, the world economy will be two-thirds bigger in 2020 than in 2005. But a partial reversal of globalisation, or, in the worst-case scenario, its unravelling, would shave up to two percentage points off annual rates of global economic growth. Conversely, faster liberalisation could add up to a percentage point to annual global growth.

Lower-cost economies will still enjoy a massive wage advantage over developed markets. In China’s case the average wage—at 5% of US and EU15 levels in 2005—will rise to about 15% of the developed-country average in 2020. Labour-intensive production processes will continue to shift to these markets, although fears of the death of Western manufacturing are premature.

(1) Increase in a country’s real GDP, at constant 2005 PPP, as a share of increase in global GDP over the same period.

Real GDP growth, selected countries, 2006-20
    (annual average, %)

World 3.5
    EU25 2.1
    EU15 2.0
    Asia 4.9
    Latin America 3.2
    Middle East & North Africa 4.0
    Sub-Saharan Africa 2.8
    United States 2.9
    France 1.9
    Germany 1.9
    Italy 1.0
    United Kingdom 2.3
    Russia 3.3
    Japan 0.7
    China 6.0
    India 5.9
    Brazil 3.2

http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?inf...Foresight_2020

The world’s largest economies
    GDP (US$bn, at PPP) GDP (US$bn, at market exchange rates)
    2005 World rank 2020 World rank 2005 World rank 2020 World rank
    United States 12,457 1 28,830 2 12,457 1 28,830 1
    China 8,200 2 29,590 1 2,225 4 10,130 2
    Japan 4,008 3 6,795 4 4,617 2 6,862 3
    India 3,718 4 13,363 3 759 12 3,228 7
    Germany 2,426 5 4,857 5 2,829 3 4,980 4
    United Kingdom 1,962 6 4,189 6 2,213 5 4,203 5
    France 1,905 7 3,831 7 2,132 6 3,536 6
    Brazil 1,636 8 3,823 8 787 11 1,600 13
    Italy 1,630 9 2,884 10 1,720 7 2,543 10
    Russia 1,542 10 3,793 9 749 14 2,692 8
    Spain 1,151 11 2,427 14 1,119 9 2,146 12
    Canada 1,071 12 2,423 15 1,122 8 2,206 11
    South Korea 1,067 13 2,837 11 804 10 2,607 9
    Mexico 1,059 14 2,459 13 752 13 1,450 14

Source: Economist Intelligence Unit

its an open secret that chna and india are gonna rock in coming decades..
    but i think chinese economy is heating up and reaching saturation point.China's main power is just manufacturingan d i believe it may not contune so in coming years. India may outpace chine very soon coz india's success story is not based on just phenominal growth in IT , metals , cement etc etc.but across many areas.ITs actually diversified.So growth will come from across the sectors...
    most lucarative sector remains retail. Over 97% of the retail is unorganised and just 3% for organised retail. So u can see extreme possibilities of profits here.India has been ranked consistently as the top country in terms of attractiveness in this sector. and other lucrative areas are textiles.
    BUT alas!! indian govt. is still very conservative in its policies.
    I hope govt. opens up sectors like retail to foreign brands.

Comment

I'm not sure how Canada is so low, considering the exchange is almost on par with the American dollar and it's been rising over the past 5 years pretty strongly to make it as such.

Comment

Real GDP/ PPP is calculated in spite of exchange rates.
        HD Ready?

Comment

Judging by those figures, china will continue to grow 9+

Comment

Originally posted by stone_cold
            Judging by those figures, china will continue to grow 9+
            Hm, doubtful in the extreme. It's growth rates are already down from 14-15% in the '80s.
            HD Ready?

Comment

China also faces some serious challenges. Number 1 being its unbalanced population make up after the "one child" policy of the 80s. Crimes will rise. Economic growth will slow down due to loss of a large chunk of working population. Welfare system will stress the economy further. It will be interesting to see if they can keep growing at 9% (or even 10+%) with these problems popping up.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Why is this in sci/tech?
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Cause it's science fiction?
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                    Cause it's science fiction?
                    Yeah, dismal science fiction, to boot.

Comment

It would be good to remember that even though China is set to surpass us in purchasing power parity by 2020 (and this is assuming an average of 6% annual growth for their economy, not the current 9%), that the per capita wealth of that country will still be substantially less. It is also good to remember that this study assumes that current liberalizing trends in global trade patterns continue. Any regression would stand to hit China harder than most, as its economy is more "overextended" in exports than most other nations (much the way Japan was in the early 1980's).

Comment

china is working to correct this, through financial encouragement of chinese companies to develop the necessary domestic market. we'll see in the coming years, i reckon, if this policy succeeds. the chinese market, both for domestic and foreign sources, is far from reaching saturation point.
                        Last edited by astralis; 06 Jun 06,, 03:54.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis
                          china is working to correct this, through financial encouragement of chinese companies to develop the necessary domestic market. we'll see in the coming years, i reckon, if this policy succeeds. the chinese market, both for domestic and foreign sources, is far from reaching saturation point.
                          I agree that China's domestic market isn't reaching saturation point yet, however in my opinion developing China's domestic market is a two edged sword (albiet a desirable two edged sword). In order to develop domestic consumption wages will have to rise substantially (in order to give the Chinese consumer more purchasing power). This will simultaniously cut into investment and reduce China's competetive edge (namely cheap labor) vis a vis Western markets.

Comment

Originally posted by glow
                            I'm not sure how Canada is so low, considering the exchange is almost on par with the American dollar and it's been rising over the past 5 years pretty strongly to make it as such.
                            Ok take a look at this.. The populations of the 14 countries with the largest GDP's in the world.

United States 299 million
                            China 1.3 billion
                            Japan 127 million
                            India 1.1 billion
                            Germany 83 million
                            United Kingdom 60 million
                            France 60 million
                            Brazil 186 million
                            Italy 58 million
                            Russia 143 million
                            Spain 40 million
                            Canada 32 million
                            South Korea 48 million
                            Mexico 106 million

Canada has the lowest population. So Canada's economy is very strong, when compared to the fact that we have a measly population, spread out thin, in a band encompasing the area between the American border and the hellish Canadian frontier.

I dont take tha fact that we are 12th on the list, to mean that Canada is any worse off. Look at Russia, India, Brazil, China (no offence to anyone)...while they have larger economies than Canada, the vast majority living in those countries, standards of living are well below what even the worse off of Canadians have.

Canada is a small but extremely hard working and industrious country, you should be proud of that. Dont let some silly list confuse you.

Comment

Actually, Canada sucks. All you guys got are those Mounties in those tastless uniforms and Moose/Mooses/Meese. If Canada was worth anything we'dve annexed you long ago. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X