• Show
Clear All

• NH: Free Staters kill proposed smoking ban

World affairists: Your thoughts?

---

From NHfree.com
    5/15/06

Free Staters kill New Hampshire smoke ban

Acting nearly alone against the American Cancer Society and a massive juggernaut of established lobby groups, a few dozen Free State Project members have managed to preserve New Hampshire's hands-off approach to smoking in bars and restaurants. N.H. is currently the only state in New England which allows consumers and businesses to make the "smoking decision" for themselves, and last month's vote assures that the market - rather than state regs - will determine smoking policies in 2007.

While Free Staters have been on the winning side of many lobbying efforts in Concord, this victory for property rights is significant, because it's virtually certain things would have gone the other way were it not for the Free Stater immigration.

Since the Free State Project targeted New Hampshire for libertarian migration in 2003, about 150 hardcore freedom activists have trickled into the state, aiming to preserve its Live Free or Die culture and roll back government there to a third of its present size. Aided by the state's predisposition toward liberty and their own relentless involvement, these incoming activists had already achieved an impact completely out of proportion to their numbers.

But past Free Stater victories involved alliances with other groups such as gun rights organizations and homeschoolers. This is the first they have won on their own, with only the pro-liberty legislators as allies.

And it was a close fought battle. With the rest of New England now under the thrall of smoking bans, many of the state's traditional ban opponents (such as restaurant and bar owners) switched sides, leaving the novice liberty activists holding the line nearly unassisted. Libertarian volunteer-lobbyists were outnumbered about three to one in the hallways and hearing rooms, losing on this issue in the House of Representatives, lacking support from the governor and winning in the Senate by only a single vote. To become law, a New Hampshire bill must pass all three elected branches.

Narrow or not, the victory changes the course of New Hampshire history a bit, and for the first time ever, Free Staters can say they did it virtually alone.

May 14 article in the Concord Monitor:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...7/1265/48HOURS

Good for them! Too often people remind me of buffalo, following the herd right off the edge of a cliff. It's nice to see some people putting the brakes on.

Comment

Why the hell don't i live in New Hampshire?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Why the hell don't i live in New Hampshire?
        I don`t know anything about New Hampshire but what is so bad about it.
        Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone
          I don`t know anything about New Hampshire but what is so bad about it.
          It sounds great.

LOL...

Comment

BTW just got this message from one of the Free Staters who helps run their annual get-together. Yall consider yerselfs very invited (and yes, smoking is very allowed):

----

Anyone here headed to PorcFest in June (Lancaster, NH)? Last year was a blast. We had Badnarik, and a bunch of other great speakers, and roughly 400 attendees. It's a kick to be around so many like minded people at once.

This year it's the last month of June

freestateproject.org/news/festival/

Comment

That's great!
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Wow. I knew that the Libs were trying to find a state to take over, and when it came down to Wyoming or New Hampshire, NH won, but I didn't know they'd actually started. Personally, I think they should have chosen Wyoming, but that's just cause I absolutely love the place. Sheer absolute beauty. But then, I'm sure NH ain't bad either. Too bad NC has too many people, and too many liberals. It pretty much rocks other wise.
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Update: The proposed smoke ban is...still dead :)

Comment

Good. I hope this is the start of a counterrevolution against social engineering as done by the left/right in the name of "health" or "protecting children's morals"

Comment

I loathe bans of any type.

It is better to have a smoking section and a non smoking section.

There is an airline which permit smoking in the aircraft.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006
                      All-smoking airline to take off soon (in puff of smoke)

A German entrepreneur has launched SMINTAIR, the world's first "all-smoking" airline, with nonstops from Dusseldorf to Tokyo. The airline website promises "bring back the exclusivity in flying encountered in the 1960s" -- ah, you mean the exclusivity of oxygen in the cabin? Connoisseurs of second-hand smoke are encouraged to book flights too, because

Non-smokers will find the cabin air more refreshing than on any other flight with any other airline, as SMINTAIR adds fresh outside air to the conditioning system! This is more expensive, as it burns more fuel, but it is seen as an additional service to our guests.

Instead of free travel, frequent flyer miles earn you lung tumors.

Link to blog post, here's a BBC News item. (thanks better living through miles)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                      X