X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Misses His Prom - Keeps His Gown, Though

Boy in Slinky Fuchsia Gown Denied Entrance to Prom
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006

GARY, Ind. — A male student who has worn women's clothes to school all year was turned away from his high school prom because he was wearing a dress.

Kevin Logan, 18, went to the West Side High School prom on Friday in a slinky fuchsia gown and heels. He believes officials discriminated against him by not allowing him inside.

"I have no formal pictures, no memories, nothing. You only have one prom," he said.

Logan, who is gay, received an $85 refund for his prom ticket Tuesday but was not satisfied. He said he is considering filing a complaint with the Indiana Civil Liberties Union.

Sylvester Rowan, assistant to Gary Schools Superintendent Mary Steele, said school policy bans males from wearing dresses. Excluding Logan from prom was based on "the dress code, not the student's homosexuality. That's his personal preference."

Tyrone Hanley, the youth program coordinator for the Gender Public Advocacy Coalition in Washington, D.C., said he often sees cases like this and called it gender-based discrimination.

"Prohibiting really short skirts for everyone is a fair dress code; prohibiting them for males is not," he said.

Logan said he had spent years defining and exploring his sexuality. This year, he took a major step by dressing as a female every day, wearing makeup, a hair weave, nails and girls' fitted jeans to school.

His mother, Donnetta Logan, said she was not surprised by what she called the ignorance of school administrators.

"I tell Kevin that in society there will be those who accept him and those who won't."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196830,00.html

So do you all think he should have been allowed to go? I say what the hell - at least he looks half decent as a girl, which is more than can be said for a lot of men that try to dress as women. He has been doing this all year, surely the school had to see this coming when he bought a ticket to the prom. Why did they not address it with him at that time?
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he was in a government school and they are entitled to have any dress code they wish.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
      http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196830,00.html

So do you all think he should have been allowed to go? I say what the hell - at least he looks half decent as a girl, which is more than can be said for a lot of men that try to dress as women. He has been doing this all year, surely the school had to see this coming when he bought a ticket to the prom. Why did they not address it with him at that time?
      Yeah, thats so mean. I don't buy into the it was a government school bull either. Not government, it's a public school! Paid for by American tax dollars which incidentally don't pay for them to discriminate. It obviously wasn't a schoolboard decision. I mean, the dresscode is incorrect in this case as far as I can tell the dress is proper enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon 6
        Not government, it's a public school!
        Ummmmm, public schools are paid for and regulated fully by the government, thus they are government schools. This isn't a difficult concept...
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
          Ummmmm, public schools are paid for and regulated fully by the government, thus they are government schools. This isn't a difficult concept...
          They aren't regulated by the government. They're regulated by an elected city district school board. Paid for by tax dollars. Either way, I disagree so whatever. You know, they also USE to have a segregation policy that was supported by the "government."

Comment

They aren't regulated by the government. They're regulated by an elected city district school board. Paid for by tax dollars.
            Hello? LOL!
            You know, they also USE to have a segregation policy that was supported by the "government."
            Yeah, and then they had a desegregation policy that was just as bad for the opposite reasons. Government is scarry stuff, too much power and money in the hands of politicians...

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he was in a government school and they are entitled to have any dress code they wish.
              and I agree with that - I just think that they should have been enforcing this "rule" all year and not just @ the prom when photos of the school are going to be taken
              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

and I agree with that - I just think that they should have been enforcing this "rule" all year and not just @ the prom when photos of the school are going to be taken
                According to the story posted, he had never worn a dress to school before then. ;)

Comment

According to the story posted, he had never worn a dress to school before then. ;)
                  It does not say that he wore a dress specifically, but it does say

This year, he took a major step by dressing as a female every day, wearing makeup, a hair weave, nails and girls' fitted jeans to school.
                  Close enough.

Comment

It does not say that he wore a dress specifically, but it does say
                    "Kevin Logan, 18, went to the West Side High School prom on Friday in a slinky fuchsia gown and heels. "
                    Close enough.
                    There were no rules against those things. ;)

Comment

"Kevin Logan, 18, went to the West Side High School prom on Friday in a slinky fuchsia gown and heels. "

There were no rules against those things. ;)
                      He worn a gown to prom....but what else could he wear that would match his new manicure and heels? ;)

I still say...let the boy wear a dress...Who is it hurting?

Comment

I still say...let the boy wear a dress...Who is it hurting?
                        I agree, but that this should be brought up as a rule change, and this kid should get nothing for violating a rule he most likely knew.

Comment

Working...
                        X