PDA

View Full Version : Asim banned?

Ahsan
20 May 06,, 09:42
Why is asim banned for? What is going on.. every other day people are getting banned.

sparten
20 May 06,, 09:55
take a wild guess, there was a whole campaign going on.

Ahsan
20 May 06,, 10:05
Your banned but you can post? http://www.pakistaniforces.com/forums/images/smilies/woot.gif

Did i just get fool by the custom title.. :tongue:

sparten
20 May 06,, 10:14
Yes

bull
20 May 06,, 10:25
Read here for the full story as it happened.

http://worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=12295

lemontree
20 May 06,, 10:57
Why is asim banned for? What is going on.. every other day people are getting banned.
He will be back in a weeks time.

OrdinaryGuy
20 May 06,, 11:08
It seems many Pakistani forum members on this forum have the tendency of twisting news articles (inserting words or changing senteces) and sometimes passing off letters to the editor from the pakistan's press secy. as official news articles in foreign journals..

Many articles they quote come from shady sources

platinum786
20 May 06,, 11:21
hmm, nobody else picked up this was a reply to an article?

In regard to Chris Patten's broadside against Pakistan and its military (editorial page, May 10)

That kinda gave it away for me?

I think this has more to do with pressure then dishonesty...

Samudra
20 May 06,, 11:21
Did i just get fool by the custom title..

Lol, I think I was the first one to use the title 'Banned'.

Ruffled a few feathers....:biggrin:

platinum786
20 May 06,, 11:28
after re-reading the thread i also feel it's a shame that rather than discussing the incredibly valid points put across by the writer, we question the intentions of the messenger.

indianguy4u
20 May 06,, 11:29
It seems many Pakistani forum members on this forum have the tendency of twisting news articles (inserting words or changing senteces) and sometimes passing off letters to the editor from the pakistan's press secy. as official news articles in foreign journals..

Bulls eye ;).

percentage_plyr
20 May 06,, 11:31
after re-reading the thread i also feel it's a shame that rather than discussing the incredibly valid points put across by the writer, we question the intentions of the messenger.

NO,merely the fact whether such a "piece" can be passed off as "news" when it in fact is a personal opinion.the messenger was fully aware of this fact,but kept evading while collecting accolades from his compatriots.

platinum786
20 May 06,, 11:35
yeah but if i picked that up, i think most people could have and should have, i mean nowhere did he actaully say "breaking news governemnt refutes claims"...i mean do u guys ever read those sectins of papers, they always start and sound like that...

bull
20 May 06,, 11:40
Lol, I think I was the first one to use the title 'Banned'.

Ruffled a few feathers....:biggrin:

Dont u even remind me of that. :mad:

bull
20 May 06,, 11:45

Platinum,discussion wud have been flawed if we were not told the entire truth.If WSJ editorial wrote such a thing then its difficult for most of us to refute it as baseless due to the credibility of that WSJ enjoys.

The messengers intentions was questined before,he tried to make a fool out of everyone of us,incl u.Its not what is written in the article that bothered but the blunt act by Asim to lie.

I didnt even bother looking at the link and posted my reply and as the thread progressed ,others started pointing out the flaw in the 'editorial' and i checked on the link.

he failed us!!!

I have been trying to keep up a good rapo with him,and has been PM ing abt the current state of affairs of WAB along with my other friends here.

Lahori paa jee
20 May 06,, 12:09
Asim and Sparten both.........hmmm very sad

Is it temporary or permanent?

Can they be given another chance?

For Asim

Kisi nazar ko tera intizar aaj bhi hai
Kahan ho tum ke yeh dil bekarar aaj bhi hai

Samudra
20 May 06,, 12:24
Paa jee,

Sparten has not been banned.
He just changed his title to "Banned".

Asim will be back after a week.

platinum786
20 May 06,, 12:44
cool, personally like i said after line 1 i realised it was a latter to the editor...

667medic
20 May 06,, 14:03
cool, personally like i said after line 1 i realised it was a latter to the editor...
Sir jee admit it you got fooled too and Neo also.
I too didn't realize immediately that it was a letter to the edit as I was focussing on the content which BTW was full of holes.
If Asim had wanted to discuss this he could have done it in Hari's thread but instead he had to prove that he was a weasel and start the ridiculous thread as some kind of refutation of Sir Chris Patten's accusations. He flaunted the link to WSJ as the Holy Grail. :eek:
As to why no one wanted to dicuss the content of the "piece". It was full of manure and many members including the American members pointed out the fallacity in the arguement....

sparten
20 May 06,, 15:47
Wall Street Journal is a shady source??????

platinum786
20 May 06,, 15:57
Umm, no....i knew it was a reply to a letter or article....i just agreed with the opinion presented in it....

TopHatter
20 May 06,, 16:05
It's called a crackdown.

The same crackdown that was warned about and promised would not be pleasant if people didn't back off from the non-stop flame and flamebait.

It was also spilling over into other forums and generally making the WAB an unfriendly place for people to actually discuss and debate.
We've already lost at least one longtime member because of this nonsense.

Apparently most people involved in the flaming etc didn't believe us.
As to why some of those people were getting banned, there was a decision that was made, it was stated explicitly that the decision was not open to debate and some member decided that they were the exception to that rule.
One was banned temporarily (the ban has since expired) and one was banned permanently.

The other members had an incredibly valid point themselves, which was this:

NO,merely the fact whether such a "piece" can be passed off as "news" when it in fact is a personal opinion.the messenger was fully aware of this fact,but kept evading while collecting accolades from his compatriots.

yeah but if i picked that up, i think most people could have and should have, i mean nowhere did he actaully say "breaking news governemnt refutes claims"...i mean do u guys ever read those sectins of papers, they always start and sound like that...
Bull already responded to this quite well.

Asim and Sparten both.........hmmm very sad

Is it temporary or permanent?

Can they be given another chance?

For Asim
As you might have read in that thread, Asim can return to the board in 1 week, he is not banned permanently, despite the claims of a "campaign" against him.

By the way Lahori, if you are going to post words or phrases in another language, do please provide a translation for those of us with poor non-English language skills, thanks :)

Wall Street Journal is a shady source??????
Who claimed that the WSJ was a shady source?

Confed999
20 May 06,, 16:22
It's called a crackdown.

The same crackdown that was warned about and promised would not be pleasant if people didn't back off from the non-stop flame and flamebait.
And it is a crackdown we begged not to have to perform.

THL
20 May 06,, 16:31

Time for another public service announcement:

Remember, Folks.....

Captain Drunk
20 May 06,, 18:43
Lovely non-flame war poster there THL, but I guess everyone would have more drop-dead obedience if Somkey's pic was replaced with yours ;) :biggrin:

TopHatter
20 May 06,, 18:47
...if Somkey's pic was replaced with yours ;) :biggrin:
Nice try. Na´ve, but nice.

Lahori paa jee
20 May 06,, 19:16
By the way Lahori, if you are going to post words or phrases in another language, do please provide a translation for those of us with poor non-English language skills, thanks :)

Actually thats an indian song and translation into english would not have done justice to it. I still dont want to translate that coz its so beautiful in hindi/urdu.

Btw dont worry. If it meant something bad your pm sections would have been filled with reports. :biggrin:

TopHatter
20 May 06,, 19:18
Actually thats an indian song and translation into english would not have done justice to it. I still dont want to translate that coz its so beautiful in hindi/urdu.
Gotcha. ;)

Ray
20 May 06,, 19:56
"...if we drop one bomb on Afghanistan, we will ourselves have finally become the world's most bloody terrorist."

RIGHT ON

Mr. Parrish's commentary is right on [see "Mourning in America," 9/20]. I heard him this morning on KUOW and agreed with him wholeheartedly. I am an old lady and I do remember very clearly the attack on Pearl Harbor. Mr. Roosevelt was an intelligent, very capable leader, and whether or not he had been forewarned is irrelevant today. With regard to the attack on the twin towers in New York, and the painful aftermath with hundreds of our nation's finest losing their lives in the line of duty trying to rescue the innocently slaughtered victims, we are left with a man who seems only capable of jingoes and clich鳬 who is right at home with his arm across someone's shoulder while mouthing platitudes into a megaphone (he wasn't a cheerleader in school for nothing). He is neither intelligent nor capable.

Unfortunately, not one of our "leaders" has had the courage to step up and admit our own mistaken policies and to refuse to follow Jingo George in lockstep. We ourselves are being skyjacked. "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels."

The world is filled with desperate people whom we either exploit or terrorize, and their very real objections are ignored or unheard. Occasionally they resort to the equivalent of a two-by-four over the head to try to be heard; this time their fury turned into a holocaust consuming thousands of innocents. We must listen to these people and try to understand their needs and concerns and work with them to solve the problems. Instead of bombs we need to go into Pakistan with food and medicine and offer the Afghanis as well as the Pakistanis to rebuild their countries' bridges, roads, schools, hospitals, and mosques. Not only would it be the right thing to do, it would be the "Christian" and humane thing to do.

We have regularly used and exported terrorism, supported and maintained despots, and blocked others from overthrowing their oppressive regimes as we ourselves once did, and if we drop one bomb on Afghanistan, we will ourselves have finally become the world's most bloody terrorist.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/arts/0139/letters-readers.php

The above is a letter to the editor. Sound convincing! :eek:

But is it news? Does it reflect the newspaper's editorial view of the issue? Can it be passed off as news or the policy of the Govt or anything authoritative?

To be fair to the WAB and its Moderators, is the Letter to the Editor (without mentioning it so) valid as being authoritative for serious discussion or allowing it to be passed off as the Gospel truth?

Just take the posts for on that thread and see how seriously the matter was taken when it is a mere opinion and nothing to do with facts as gleaned and is evident.

When something is posted, no one checks back since it taken that it is true. Each member has faith that they are not being fooled, or else all would just be busy checking the veracity of posts being posted! The whole issue is based on FAITH and one Moderator commented that everyone is not an encyclopedia to know everything!

However, if it is stated that it is just is a personal opinion of a reader, then it becomes fine for light discussion, but passing it off as something having editorial sanction as news and a newspaper's article is not valid at all and it breaks the faith!

I wonder if breaking the faith or a breach of trust is what is being suggested that should be allowed!

TopHatter
20 May 06,, 20:25
To be fair to the WAB and its Moderators, is the Letter to the Editor (without mentioning it so) valid as being authoritative for serious discussion or allowing it to be passed off as the Gospel truth?!

If you were modify your statement to "Is a Letter to the Editor it valid for discussion?" then yes, that is a true statement.
That's what we do here: Discussion of both facts and opinions. That's debate! :)

But back to what you said: Is it wrong to try to pass off opinion as fact? Hell yes it's wrong, and it's a great way to invite a LOT of unwanted attention from your fellow members :redface:

The irony is that it takes all of 10 seconds to type:

"This is an Op-Ed from today's Chicago Tribune and I'd agree with points A, B and C. What do you think?"

Not a lot of work involved I'd say.

When something is posted, no one checks back since it taken that it is true. Each member has faith that they are not being fooled, or else all would just be busy checking the veracity of posts being posted! The whole issue is based on FAITH and one Moderator commented that everyone is not an encyclopedia to know everything! Actually what I said was that the WAB itself is not an encyclopedia ;)
That is to say, we do not advertise ourselves as being an online depository composed of pure fact and hard knowledge.
We're merely a humble debating forum! :)

It falls to the membership to believe or not believe, to double-check or not; somebody else's posts, if they so choose.
If somebody starts talking smack, then other members are free to refute that smack. :biggrin:

I wonder if breaking the faith or a breach of trust is what is being suggested that should be allowed! I don't think that we need an addition to the rules for that sort of thing, IMHO.
I'm rather proud of the fact that we have an intelligent and perceptive membership here and we tend to quickly jump on people who try to pass off opinion or bad data as the Gospel. :biggrin:

And people that habitually try to pass off bad info as Scripture are invited to change their ways or Exit Stage Left.

The case of Asim however was the same thing as the other 2 members that were banned: An issue was declared closed, yet all 3 figured they were going to continue arguing with the Moderator and/or get in that last word.

dalem
20 May 06,, 22:19
I would hate to see the WAB travel down the same road as some of the other forums I've attended. I too have been extremely disappointed and turned off by the surge of you-know-what over the last few months.

-dale

2DREZQ
22 May 06,, 04:55
Gee, I like Asim.

Flame War?

I'd never do that to anybody, unless it was really funny...

(Does this mean I have to change my sig. again?)