history of the marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• history of the marines

not sure if this has ever come up before but does anyone know how the marines started up i have heard they started back in roman times (or sometime close to that) and were called soldiers of the sea i would like some confirmation or any thing that people have to add. thanx :D :D :sniper
    two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

For the US, Marines have always been for shipboard security, for boarding parties to capture enemy ships, and for raiding paries. They have also been used in conjunction with the US Army in a large scale as far back The largest marine unit pre WWII was the regiment, during WWII the marines organized into division strength for the first time.
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

The Marines started in 1775 in a tavern in Boston. After the Revolutionary War, they were disbanded and formed again as the U.S. Marines
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

And we're still kickin' ass...

Comment

Yeah, but you ain't got nuthin against the Aye Dee Eff!!!
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Here are the starting dates of some marine/naval infantry units"

US Marines - 1775, disbanded in 1783, reraised in 1798
            Royal Marines (UK) - 1664
            Royal Netherlands Marine Corps - 1665
            Italian San Marco Battalion - early 1900's?
            French Marines - 1622
            ROK (South Korea) Marines - 1950's?
            South Vietnamese Marine Corps - 1956 - 1975

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
              Yeah, but you ain't got nuthin against the Aye Dee Eff!!!
              On behalf of the Muh-Rines! Rule #1 of warfare: Superior numbers will win the day.

Comment

The Marines started in 1775 in a tavern in Boston. After the Revolutionary War, they were disbanded and formed again as the U.S. Marines
                If it weren't for things such as war, and the Tun Tavern announcing last call they'd probably never leave. :P

P.s. If your ever in Atlantic City then visiting the Tun Tavern is a must! :dbanana

Comment

Or the person with better aim~

Comment

Technically a marine at that time was any soldier stationed on a naval ship. So even though the USMC as an organization was disbanded, there were still marines.
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

its in the song.. from the halls of montezuma, to the shores of tripoli...
                      "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

Or Snipe's version: "From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tel Aviv"

Comment

Hehehe.

Comment

Royal Marines (UK) - 1664
                            16th century England was the first nation to have the "marine" but it had a different meaning to what a "marine" is seen as today,

Comment

Working...
                            X