Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OICW

(As many of you probably already know, this gernade
    can be programmed to explode at a specific point in space.
    What this means is that a soldier can clear a corner by launching
    a gernade where enemies are spotted through a spyglass etc.
    [a spyglass is the british term for a infra red scope] and the
    gernade being programmed to explode right around the corner,
    in the air, causing maximum damage.)

First concept model of the OICW above, February, 1994.

February, 1996: The first firing model of the OICW above

Three different 20mm ammunition types for the OICW. From Left to Right: Bursting munition, High Explosive, Target Practice.

High Explosive 20mm round with illustration of the internal circuitry necessary for distance programmable detonation.

http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm

quite the gadget... but my favourites are still the
    Steyr Aug, M-4, and the H&K G36.
    guess I am just a bit old-fashioned.

Well considering how some REMFs take care of their weapons now, I hope they're not expected to take care of one of these. Also I wonder about feild maintance difficulties with having electronics in a personal weapon. but I love the GL :D
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

It seems nifty cool, but it's too heavy right now. And what happens when it gets wet, dirty, and dropped down a staircase?

Comment

I think its needs to be lighter as well, i cant imagine carrying that thing all day, the M-16A3 is ok for now

Comment

Actually, it's supposed to be lighter than an M-203 with a scope added. As far as the electronics go, you need a large supply of the correct battery and the electronics should be Plug & Play modules that can be swapped out in a few seconds. I don't know if they are, but they should be. For a comparison, the OICW weighs in at 12 pounds, while the BAR was 18.5 pounds. The BAR was a proven combat weapon so I think the OICW at one-third less weight can be managed in battle as well.........

:S :ph34r
          Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
          (Been There)

Comment

Along the lines of what CapC said, the M-60 wieghs 23.6 pounds unloaded.

Compared to the hog the OICW is light.

My concerns are with durability, but it is still a prototype.

Comment

I don't know, but when I am looking at that thing - I got a picture of soldiers, looking for batteries in the jungle. :D

Comment

I'm sure it will use NiCad batteries like your watch or garage door opener. Having a stash of them shouldn't weigh you down. It will probably use around 4 to 6 of those batteries so I would go into battle with at least 24 on me to be safe. That would depend on the life of the batteries if the weapon was never turned off for a week..... Of course with the size of the rechargeable NiCads being used in Digital Cameras these days you might just use one of them. I would suspect the life of one of those type batteries would be limited to aroudn two hours if left on all the time. I imagine there is an on/off switch that you will have to push when you need the weapon, kind of like a second safety....... That would of course only be needed when you use the special scope or the onboard computer to figure the range and set the projectile for the 20MM......

:S
                Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
                (Been There)

Comment

I dunno. Once I had a pair of rechargeable batteries in my pocket with a dog tag also in there. The batteries connected with the dog tg and burnt right through my jeans. Hurt like a bitch for weeks after words.
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"I don't know, but when I am looking at that thing - I got a picture of soldiers, looking for batteries in the jungle."

Gentlemen, i hate to have to point this out, but US troops have been carrying batteries for years. NVG's and PNVS units do not run on wishful thinking. They need batteries. For that matter, so did my Kodak and my walkman.

Carrying a 10 pak or two of AA sized batteries aint no big deal fellas.

Comment

Quote of the day:

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      NVG's and PNVS units do not run on wishful thinking.

Comment

Yeah, until you mix up the live ones and dead ones...
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          "I don't know, but when I am looking at that thing - I got a picture of soldiers, looking for batteries in the jungle."

Gentlemen, i hate to have to point this out, but US troops have been carrying batteries for years. NVG's and PNVS units do not run on wishful thinking. They need batteries. For that matter, so did my Kodak and my walkman.

Carrying a 10 pak or two of AA sized batteries aint no big deal fellas.
                          So thats why my NVGs always seemed to quit working after a couple hours use.... I thought they were just crappy........ what...... :p :D
                          Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

The next question is why do you have NVG's :?: :?: :?:

Comment

btw, batteries are sensitive not only to humidity, but to temperature also.
                              Overcooled batteries will rapidlly loose charge (just try to leave your cellphone on the snow for 30 minutes... but you will need a new battery after that).

bottom line is: this thing will be nearly useless in Siberia or similar env. :D :D

Comment

Working...
                              X