Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficult Decision. "Pure Land" is now *BANNED* at World Affairs Board. Please Read.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult Decision. "Pure Land" is now *BANNED* at World Affairs Board. Please Read.

Over the past couple of weeks there have been some intensive discussions taking place between the staff members here at World Affairs Board (WAB) regarding the use of the term "pure land" when referring to Pakistan. Some of our members (in particular Indian members) believe that there is nothing wrong with using this term because it is not in itself vulgar. Other members however (in particular Pakistani members) believe that this term is an offensive and derogatory way to refer to their nation.

Unfortunately, this matter was not a clean cut moderation issue for us like so many other issues. We did however have to come to a decision one way or the other about how we were going to handle this matter because it appeared to be upsetting a lot of our fellow members and not just those from India or Pakistan. I herby announce that as a privately owned discussion forum the use of the term "pure land" is banned at World Affairs Board (WAB). This decision is not open for debate.

Like I said above, not everyone finds this term offensive or derogatory. I personally don't find it offensive or derogatory but then I am not from Pakistan. I do however think it is only fair that since most of our Pakistani members seem to find this term offensive that it is no longer used to refer to their nation. If anything else this is about extending good manners to your fellow WAB members.

I would also ask that all of our members (not just Indians and Pakistanis) use a polite term when referring to another nation which would be acceptable to citizens of that nation as a whole. The easiest way is simply to refer to countries by their official names. E.g. United States, Germany, United Kingdom, Pakistan, Canada, Japan, India etc. then there won't be any problems.

Please understand that this was a difficult decision for us, but it is one we decided to take in order to protect WAB's integrity as a friendly discussion forum and to ensure that it doesn't go the way of so many other political message boards. I won't name any names here, but I am sure you all know what boards I am referring to.

Thank you for reading and if necessary adjusting your posting style to comply with this new rule to ensure that World Affairs Board (WAB) remains a friendly discussion forum for people of all nations to visit and post at.

- Chris

A good move.

Comment

In addition, I would like to thank the several members who added constructive advice to the discussion and for their patience during the time it took to come to a decision.

Originally posted by Chris
      Please understand that this was a difficult decision for us, but it is one we decided to take in order to protect WAB's integrity as a friendly discussion forum and to ensure that it doesn't go the way of so many other political message boards. I won't name any names here, but I am sure you all know what boards I am referring to.
      I would also like to amplify those points. It was a very difficult decision and was especially to - as Chris said - protect WAB's integrity as a forum where all nationalities can discuss "World Affairs".
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Thanks for the stand. Didn't know this was such a higher up call. We will appreciate it.

Exactly, lets discuss world affairs and move on. I hope there're no hard feelings (from anyone to anyone, between anyone).

Comment

There is no stand per se.

It is a decision taken not on the facts in issue, but to maintain the integrity of the board. This has been stated by Chris.

One has to honour the decision in a private board.

I am aware of the travails that the Moderators and others have undergone and the exasperation thereof.

Yet in all fairness one has to accept that history, nonetheless, remains unchanged!

Not that it matters in the least.

Last edited by Ray; 12 May 06,, 00:04.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

There is no stand per se.

It is a decision taken not on the facts in issue, but to maintain the itegrityof the board.

One has to honour the decision in a private board.

I am aware of the travails that the Moderators and others have undergone and the exasperation thereof.

Yet in all fairness one has to accept that history, nonetheless, remains unchanged!

Not that it matters in the least.

meeh, ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
              meeh, ok.
              Just can't resist, can you?
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                Just can't resist, can you?
                Hey I've heeded your call and eased up on "them" haven't I? Have not responded to at least over 100 personal attacks here on this board (and that's probably just the last 2 days). I do too falter every now and then, I am only human.

Surprisingly you're right. Just that small phrase "meeh, ok" is enough to let hell break loose!

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                  Hey I've heeded your call and eased up on "them" haven't I? Have not responded to at least over 100 personal attacks here on this board. I do too falter every now and then, only human.
                  And have I not had to read a dozen reported posts a day? Straighten up eh? For me, if nothing else? ;)

Comment

From what they've been complaining publically it sounds pretty silly to complain about my personal opinions. These range from religious views to political inclinations to defence of my nations policy against hostiles. Most of the times since we ARE pitted against each other this is against their opinion. They too have opinions.

What I don't get is this silly insistence that they should continously mock me, my personal life, assign names of a various dozen animals just to downplay that opinion of mine. I don't need straightening and I know from experience WAB is anti-censorship... The best thing you can ask of me is not to retaliate. Which I've figured is beneath me anyway. Otherwise we Lahoris are best known for very very creative insults, but this is hardly the place.

I PMed the party's my personal IM contact, but somehow they don't seem to take me up on that.

Comment

Asim, You have my advice. Take it or not, it's up to you. ;)

Comment

OK. It means that land of pure has been spared .
                        Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                          Actually, no. It doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                            Actually, no. It doesn't.
                            They are two different words, though meaning the same.
                            Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                              You might care to read that the decision was announced by a member of Rochens staff, the owners of this board, probably not a good idea to mock them ;)
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X