PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Decision. "Pure Land" is now *BANNED* at World Affairs Board. Please Read.

Chris
11 May 06,, 22:37
Over the past couple of weeks there have been some intensive discussions taking place between the staff members here at World Affairs Board (WAB) regarding the use of the term "pure land" when referring to Pakistan. Some of our members (in particular Indian members) believe that there is nothing wrong with using this term because it is not in itself vulgar. Other members however (in particular Pakistani members) believe that this term is an offensive and derogatory way to refer to their nation.

Unfortunately, this matter was not a clean cut moderation issue for us like so many other issues. We did however have to come to a decision one way or the other about how we were going to handle this matter because it appeared to be upsetting a lot of our fellow members and not just those from India or Pakistan. I herby announce that as a privately owned discussion forum the use of the term "pure land" is banned at World Affairs Board (WAB). This decision is not open for debate.

Like I said above, not everyone finds this term offensive or derogatory. I personally don't find it offensive or derogatory but then I am not from Pakistan. I do however think it is only fair that since most of our Pakistani members seem to find this term offensive that it is no longer used to refer to their nation. If anything else this is about extending good manners to your fellow WAB members.

I would also ask that all of our members (not just Indians and Pakistanis) use a polite term when referring to another nation which would be acceptable to citizens of that nation as a whole. The easiest way is simply to refer to countries by their official names. E.g. United States, Germany, United Kingdom, Pakistan, Canada, Japan, India etc. then there won't be any problems.

Please understand that this was a difficult decision for us, but it is one we decided to take in order to protect WAB's integrity as a friendly discussion forum and to ensure that it doesn't go the way of so many other political message boards. I won't name any names here, but I am sure you all know what boards I am referring to.

Thank you for reading and if necessary adjusting your posting style to comply with this new rule to ensure that World Affairs Board (WAB) remains a friendly discussion forum for people of all nations to visit and post at.

- Chris

platinum786
11 May 06,, 22:49
A good move.

TopHatter
11 May 06,, 22:54
In addition, I would like to thank the several members who added constructive advice to the discussion and for their patience during the time it took to come to a decision.

Please understand that this was a difficult decision for us, but it is one we decided to take in order to protect WAB's integrity as a friendly discussion forum and to ensure that it doesn't go the way of so many other political message boards. I won't name any names here, but I am sure you all know what boards I am referring to.
I would also like to amplify those points. It was a very difficult decision and was especially to - as Chris said - protect WAB's integrity as a forum where all nationalities can discuss "World Affairs".

Asim Aquil
11 May 06,, 22:59
Thanks for the stand. Didn't know this was such a higher up call. We will appreciate it.

Exactly, lets discuss world affairs and move on. I hope there're no hard feelings (from anyone to anyone, between anyone).

Ray
11 May 06,, 23:40
There is no stand per se.

It is a decision taken not on the facts in issue, but to maintain the integrity of the board. This has been stated by Chris.

One has to honour the decision in a private board.

I am aware of the travails that the Moderators and others have undergone and the exasperation thereof.

Yet in all fairness one has to accept that history, nonetheless, remains unchanged!

Not that it matters in the least.

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 01:03
There is no stand per se.

It is a decision taken not on the facts in issue, but to maintain the itegrityof the board.

One has to honour the decision in a private board.

I am aware of the travails that the Moderators and others have undergone and the exasperation thereof.

Yet in all fairness one has to accept that history, nonetheless, remains unchanged!

Not that it matters in the least.

meeh, ok.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 01:05
meeh, ok.
Just can't resist, can you? :rolleyes:

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 01:12
Just can't resist, can you? :rolleyes:
Hey I've heeded your call and eased up on "them" haven't I? Have not responded to at least over 100 personal attacks here on this board (and that's probably just the last 2 days). I do too falter every now and then, I am only human. :biggrin:

Surprisingly you're right. Just that small phrase "meeh, ok" is enough to let hell break loose!

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 01:13
Hey I've heeded your call and eased up on "them" haven't I? Have not responded to at least over 100 personal attacks here on this board. I do too falter every now and then, only human. :biggrin:
And have I not had to read a dozen reported posts a day? Straighten up eh? For me, if nothing else? ;)

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 01:22
From what they've been complaining publically it sounds pretty silly to complain about my personal opinions. These range from religious views to political inclinations to defence of my nations policy against hostiles. Most of the times since we ARE pitted against each other this is against their opinion. They too have opinions.

What I don't get is this silly insistence that they should continously mock me, my personal life, assign names of a various dozen animals just to downplay that opinion of mine. I don't need straightening and I know from experience WAB is anti-censorship... The best thing you can ask of me is not to retaliate. Which I've figured is beneath me anyway. Otherwise we Lahoris are best known for very very creative insults, but this is hardly the place.

I PMed the party's my personal IM contact, but somehow they don't seem to take me up on that.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 01:35
Asim, You have my advice. Take it or not, it's up to you. ;)

indianguy4u
12 May 06,, 04:46
OK. It means that land of pure has been spared :biggrin:.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 05:06
Actually, no. It doesn't.

indianguy4u
12 May 06,, 05:10
Actually, no. It doesn't.
They are two different words, though meaning the same.

Parihaka
12 May 06,, 05:12
You might care to read that the decision was announced by a member of Rochens staff, the owners of this board, probably not a good idea to mock them ;)

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 05:15
You might care to read that the decision was announced by a member of Rochens staff, the owners of this board, probably not a good idea to mock them ;)
Actually, Chris is the CEO of Rochen.

Srirangan
12 May 06,, 05:58
Can WAB deny that PL is the direct translation of a countries name? Can it deny that the movement was formed on the basis for a LOTP. You cannot deny history and certain facts just because some members whine about it.

Srirangan
12 May 06,, 06:00
WAB repeats the mantra that there won't be any serious crackdown. Yet when they whine, you ban certain entities that are historically valid. Yet WAB refuses to crackdown when some others sympathize and try to justify terrorists in India. Thanks Chris.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 06:08
Can WAB deny that PL is the direct translation of a countries name? Can it deny that the movement was formed on the basis for a LOTP. You cannot deny history and certain facts just because some members whine about it.
If you had bothered to read his post in it's entirely, you'd see that we deny nothing. None of us have ever denied the origins about those terms. Yet YOU and yours keep repeating your mantra that we are denying history.
A tough decision was made for the good of the entire board.
Accept it or not, it's entirely up to you.

WAB repeats the mantra that there won't be any serious crackdown. Yet when they whine, you ban certain entities that are historically valid. Yet WAB refuses to crackdown when some others sympathize and try to justify terrorists in India. Thanks Chris.
Look around the board much since Chris' message was posted srirangan? The crackdown has begun. ;)
If you see posts that you feel are flamebait, then you ought to report them. If not, then quit your whining.

Srirangan
12 May 06,, 06:14
I read all the posts. He said he wouldn't, but he did it anyway. Call it whining TH; you may say, even claim that the crackdown has begun, but I have plenty of reason to be skeptical about it.

Accept it or not, it's entirely up to you.
Never said it was. What's the point of this filmy dialouge?

A tough decision was made for the good of the entire board.
At the expense of some. Gee thanks!

Yet YOU and yours keep repeating your mantra that we are denying history.
If you are not denying, then why the ban. You obviously do not understand the origins of the Pakistan movement that began in the early 1930's. I'ld appreciate if you not make any more statements about not denying history, because this ban does just that.

Cheers.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 06:25
I read all the posts. He said he wouldn't, but he did it anyway. .
Who said what and did it anyway?

At the expense of some. Gee thanks!
Since no one can please everybody all of the time, you are welcome.

If you are not denying, then why the ban.

THIS is not clear enough for you?

We did however have to come to a decision one way or the other about how we were going to handle this matter because it appeared to be upsetting a lot of our fellow members and not just those from India or Pakistan.

This decision is not open for debate

Srirangan
12 May 06,, 06:29
Since no one can please everybody all of the time, you are welcome.
Cheers for atleast admitting it.

Who said what and did it anyway?
Wrt the quote posted above the reply.

THIS is not clear enough for you?
You still don't have a real response to the points I raised, do you?

No, copy+pasting Chris' post and trying to question my comprehension ability doesn't qualify as a real response. It's more of an hostile comment, and since the crackdown is on one could argue it almost a troll. Cheers.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 06:35
You still don't have a real response to the points I raised, do you?

Since I've been answering the same question and hearing the same arguements for the past week, no. I am all out of "real responses".

[QUOTE=srirangan]
No, copy+pasting Chris' post and trying to question my comprehension ability doesn't qualify as a real response. It's more of an hostile comment, and since the crackdown is on one could argue it almost a troll. Cheers. Since Chris put things as clearly and simply as can be, I have no choice but to question your comprehension ability.
You also quite obviously could not comprehend the part that said "This is not open for debate or you've chosen to ignore it. Which is it?
And since as I've said, I've had to answer this question dozens of times over the past week, I am sick and tired of typing the same thing over and over again. THAT is why I copy and pasted Chris' post.

Now then. Were you just calling me a troll? Bad, bad idea right now.

Srirangan
12 May 06,, 06:40
I did read Chris' this is not open to debate statement. My post wasn't questioning or debating the decision. It was merely pointing out the flawed assumptions that were made.

If you don't want a debate, don't reply. Chris hasn't, its clear he doesn't want a debate. Not sure about you though.

PS: Just for the record, my post also wasn't opewn to debate

I am sick and tired of typing the same thing over and over again
Then why don't you just avoid this topic?

Why jump in and question the abilities and disabilities of WAB members?

Just because you have the mod super powers to do so?

Officer of Engineers
12 May 06,, 06:41
Sri,

Just Let it Go.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 06:45
If you don't want a debate, don't reply. Chris hasn't, its clear he doesn't want a debate. Not sure about you though.
Nice. Except that Chris is not online and usually is never online. He leaves this sort of thing to the moderators. And no, I don't want a debate. Think really hard about that.

Then why don't you just avoid this topic?

Why jump in and question the abilities and disabilities of WAB members?

Just because you have the mod super powers to do so?
No srirangan, I can't avoid the topic when there are 12 Reported Posts per day and my PM Inbox is FLOODED with this crap. This is what I signed up to do, deal with situations like this.

ZFBoxcar
12 May 06,, 06:49
Srirangan, your views have been made clear to everyone. WAB policy has also been made clear. This was not an easy decision (as you know), we had to take into account a lot of factors, and this is the conclusion we came to. Can you not let it go? Is this issue so important that it has to put a shadow on your relations with other members?

Srirangan
12 May 06,, 06:50
No srirangan, I can't avoid the topic when there are 12 Reported Posts per day and my PM Inbox is FLOODED with this crap. This is what I signed up to do, deal with situations like this.
Ah yes, deal with this. What's there to deal here? Am I flaming? Trolling? No. You'ld make better use of your time lurking around the serious forums catching the real flamers.

Hell you may even target me there. It is better than questioning my comprehension abilities here.

And no, I don't want a debate. Think really hard about that.
Gee, I'm scared. Hint: If you don't want a debate, don't reply.

It's time for me to heed to OOE's advise. Cheers.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 06:53
Ah yes, deal with this. What's there to deal here? Am I flaming? Trolling? No. You'ld make better use of your time lurking around the serious forums catching the real flamers.

Hell you may even target me there. It is better than questioning my comprehension abilities here.

Gee, I'm scared. Hint: If you don't want a debate, don't reply.

It's time for me to heed to OOE's advise. Cheers.
Great...just great. A week's vacation. Why man, why? :confused:

cirrrocco
12 May 06,, 07:41
is he banned or just handed a vacation to cool down.

take a chill pill sri, life isnt fair and its their personal board, you can keep cribbing about that but it is just not ging to change anything..

Confed999
12 May 06,, 07:43
is he banned or just handed a vacation to cool down.
Vacation. Time to reflect on what is important and what isn't. After that, if he want's to come back, we will welcome him...

cirrrocco
12 May 06,, 07:52
i dont understand why he became so fixated about that single point. brought down his facade he built over a long time.

OOE kept asking him to cool down, man I was so dammed pissed of at him for acting puerile. its just a board and usgae of the word pure laand is not going yo bring upon the downfall of pakistan.

sri, if ur reading this. tension aagathe . (Mods Translation: dont get riled up..)

Neo
12 May 06,, 08:20
Thank you Chris!

Blademaster
12 May 06,, 09:16
Now then. Were you just calling me a troll? Bad, bad idea right now.

Gee you are sensitive, aren't ya?

kNikS
12 May 06,, 10:06
I have a question: What behaviour of Pakistani posters will cause equivalent measures? You can't take from one and leave it to others, right?

platinum786
12 May 06,, 10:59
perhasps we should all refering to India has hindustan also...that might offend people...
though that is the historical name. btw did u know India in urdu is called Bharat.

now i hope nobody takes what i'm saying the wrong way, lets all try to put this behind us.

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 11:04
I have a question: What behaviour of Pakistani posters will cause equivalent measures? You can't take from one and leave it to others, right?
Like calling India B HINDIA?

note I had to add the spacing coz the actual word's ALSO BANNED.

Samudra
12 May 06,, 11:10
that might offend people..

Heard of saare jahaan se achcha hindostaan hamaraa
hum bul bulain hai is kee, ye gulsitan hamaraa ?

Translation :
Our India is the finest Country on this planet earth
This is our garden abode, we are nightingales of mirth

ASG
12 May 06,, 11:41
Oh! Come on guys! Knock it off already!

:mad:

I think it all began with the introduction of South Asian Forum on WAB.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 15:40
Gee you are sensitive, aren't ya?
Not anymore sensitive than the next guy I suppose.
I merely have my limits, like anybody else.

THL
12 May 06,, 16:02
I don't think it is the behavior of just Pakistani posters...everyone has the same golden rule: Be respectful of eachother. I am not getting why this is so hard to do. It does not matter if one is from Pakistan, India, the US, UK or Estonia - just be nice people. :)

Gautam
12 May 06,, 19:42
I didn't know WAB was being politically correct.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 20:03
I didn't know WAB was being politically correct.
If protecting our integrity and reputation is considered being politically correct, then I suppose that could be considered accurate. :)

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:14
If protecting our integrity and reputation is considered being politically correct, then I suppose that could be considered accurate. :)
Well then, we r not a democracy, then why this urge to be politcially correct. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I am wrong :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
12 May 06,, 20:16
Because the mods feel like it.

Neo
12 May 06,, 20:18
WAB is private property not a public one.
General rules apply.
Either you ship in or ship out..

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:21
Platinum and Asim,

Get smart with one more stupid word and I will come down like a ton of bricks.

You blasted cowards

Mods and Chris,

Either you shut these two clowns or else I shall also let my patience go.

One more peep and you will have to ban me too and show that you are Paksitani Moslem lvboers.

The same idiots who blow you and all your brave soldiers to kingdom come.

I demand ASim being banned if you are real just!

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:23
WAB is private property not a public one.
General rules apply.
Either you ship in or ship out..

:eek: Did I seek ur opinion :confused:

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 20:25

Woah! Dude, he asked for an example and I gave him one!

Take a step back Ray, we CANT be friends perhaps, but don't have to be mortal enemies.

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:25

I demand JUSTICE.

He is doing the same obfuscationm and weasle like behaviour and being a trotal guttersnipe.

He wnats to keep the nonsense alive and you all are falling into the trap!

i WANT THIS IDIOT BANNED.

His spacing is the type of spineless monkeying that has started all this and if the Mods and Chris cannot see it then then they have buttons for eyes and are damned partial and unjust.

And then they preach of Justice and Freedom.

Mod and Chris,

If you are men that yo claim to be prove it!

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 20:27
Platinum and Asim,

You blasted cowards

Seriously man, what did I do to youuu? Let bygones be bygones?

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:28
Platinum and Asim,

You blasted cowards

Mods and Chris,

Either you shut these two clowns or else I shall also let my patience go.

One more peep and you will have to ban me too and show that you are Paksitani Moslem lvboers.

The same idiots who blow you and all your brave soldiers to kingdom come.

[/B]

For all the anguish I feel bec of events like 9/11, Madrid & 7/7.

I sometimes say to myself, why do I even criticise the muslims. Why do I even bother when West itself seems to fall over itself to protect them while they go rampaging through their lives.

I do so because I value human life & respect others.

But if someone wants to remain oblivious to happenings around themselves then by all means.

This whole drama is a huge sharade. Platinum if u have an inch of shame you shall never return here.

U openly declare indians as ******ans on PDF, Surely u must have some conscience, when u come here and pretend to be secular. I have never seen a bigger joke in my life then u.

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:29

Nothing.

You are such an innocent lamb. :rolleyes:

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:30
Woah! Dude, he asked for an example and I gave him one!

Take a step back Ray, we CANT be friends perhaps, but don't have to be mortal enemies.

shut up you dirty little person who has seenhis parents beiungmarried.

You are a dirty slime and yuou have brought this mess.

Inspite of all the effoirs to bring sense, you still are out to do our two timing snivelling basket like behaviour.

You are the wrost scum of socieity.

You ahve made an idiot of the Mods and Chris.

You are a basket.

Let me be banned.

It will show what a fraud this place has been brought to because of idiots like you

Neo
12 May 06,, 20:34
Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Asim and Ray, lets be fair. If you have issues with eachother, you better solve TOGETHER it and not provoke eachother publically.

Kill the message, not the messenger for Godsake!

Asim Aquil
12 May 06,, 20:34
shut up you dirty little person who has seenhis parents beiungmarried.

You are a dirty slime and yuou have brought this mess.

Inspite of all the effoirs to bring sense, you still are out to do our two timing snivelling basket like behaviour.

You are the wrost scum of socieity.

You ahve made an idiot of the Mods and Chris.

You are a basket.

Let me be banned.

It will show what a fraud this place has been brought to because of idiots like you
YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD AGAIN RAY!

Now read up!

this is how the conversation went:

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by kNikS

A question was asked!

Here's my reply that you're quoting!

I was giving an example! Not using the term! the person didn't even respond to it! You're taking this all wrong! And that kind of language is appalling!

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:35

Wath bygoine? You basket you have raised this ****** business after everything was solved.

If the Mods and Chris do not take cognisnace it will show them up as cowards and Moslem lvoers and politically correct joes of whom the /americans are dead scared of.

TopHatter
Here it comes people....don't say it wasn't asked for.

Well then, we r not a democracy, then why this urge to be politcially correct. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I am wrong :biggrin:
You are wrong. This is NOT a democracy. It's private property and the landowner has spoken.

Then you may feel free to cease using it RIGHT NOW. :mad:
That goes for anybody else on this board. That term has just joined Pureland/Land of the Pure on the Do Not Use shelf.

I demand JUSTICE.
Mod and Chris,
If you are men that yo claim to be prove it!
Ray,
This is not a "manhood" contest to be proven. Asim will be dealt with appropriately. Read on....

Seriously man, what did I do to youuu? Let bygones be bygones? Asim, You are on your one and only warning as of RIGHT NOW.
I've tried to work with you. I've tried friendly exhorations. I've tried PM's. Yet you persist in playing your little "who me??" games. It's over. If you so much as SQUEAK about ANY of this, you'll be joining srirangen. That includes PM's as well.

Ray
YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD AGAIN RAY!

Now read up!

this is how the conversation went:

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by kNikS

A question was asked!

Here's my reply that you're quoting!

I was giving an example! Not using the term! the person didn't even respond to it! You're taking this all wrong! And that kind of language is appalling!

Till now I have called you a basket,

You are a bastard

You are the slimiest godog I hav eseen

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:39
Here it comes people....don't say it wasn't asked for.

You are wrong. This is NOT a democracy. It's private property and the landowner has spoken.

Man did u even read my post carefully

Here I will post again

Well then, we r not a democracy, then why this urge to be politcially correct.

I never said WAB was a democracy ;)

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:42
TYop Hatter an dother friends,

I have listended to you all.

I have tried my best to bring insome semblance.

But here is the bastard back to his tricks with ******a which is not hostorical atr all and you all sit pretty and let it pass!

You are jsut?

Here is a bastard who is out to rake up muck like a sweeper andyou juist \watch him to do what he wants?

And you have the audacity to change history whre Land of the Pure is a part of history.

You all are scaared of the Moslems and so yuou alla are P
admit it.

9/11 has made you cowards!

F

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:43
For all the anguish I feel bec of events like 9/11, Madrid & 7/7.

I sometimes say to myself, why do I even criticise the muslims. Why do I even bother when West itself seems to fall over itself to protect them while they go rampaging through their lives.

I do so because I value human life & respect others.

But if someone wants to remain oblivious to happenings around themselves then by all means.

This whole drama is a huge sharade. Platinum if u have an inch of shame you shall never return here.

U openly declare indians as ******ans on PDF, Surely u must have some conscience, when u come here and pretend to be secular. I have never seen a bigger joke in my life then u.

Does no mod seem similarities in some of our posts here??

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:45
9/11 have made Americans cowards and scared of Moslems

Chris and Mods show that!

Gautam
12 May 06,, 20:46
Ray that's obvious from the pacification that goes on in the WEST.

Didn't know it has swept the online world 2.

Ray
12 May 06,, 20:49
I have not saoid a word.

I have borne it patiently

But the Mods and Chris not observing the deliberate flame attempt of Asim is shocking!

Bhinida with a space!

What utter rot.

And Land of the Pure which is a hostorical fact is banned.

Are these chaps fair?

And they pretend that they are the conscinece keeper of the world!

utter tripe.

TopHatter
12 May 06,, 20:50
This is locked. More to follow.

Confed999
13 May 06,, 05:01
WTF is wrong with you people...