Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye-for-eye in Pakistan acid case

Eye-for-eye in Pakistan acid case

A court in Pakistan has sentenced a man to be blinded by acid after he carried out a similar attack on his fiancée.

The court in the town of Bahawalpur, Punjab province, sentenced Mohammad Sajid under the Islamic Qisas law that matches crime and punishment.

Sajid blinded and mutilated his fiancee after her parents called off the couple's engagement.

Rights groups have criticised the sentence and observers say it is unlikely to be carried out.

The judge passed the sentence in an anti-terrorism court using a law enforced in 1979 during the rule of the dictator General Zia ul-Haq.

"Acid drops will be thrown into his eyes in line with the Islamic laws," Mohammad Shahid, a court official told the Reuters news agency.

The law allows for a like-for-like punishment unless clemency is agreed by the victim's family.

Higher courts

Sajid had admitted the attack, which he carried out in revenge for his fiancee's family breaking their promise.

Rights activists condemned the ruling.

"It is not a punishment but revenge," said Rashid Rehman of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan.

Acid attacks on women are not unusual in Pakistan, particularly in feudal and tribal areas.

Rights activists say more than 70 incidents have been reported in Punjab this year.

The sentence can be appealed and Qisas rulings are often altered by higher courts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3313207.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

sounds fair to me.
    Brahma Sarvam Jagan Mithya
    Jivo Brahmaiva Na Aparah

Comment

It's revenge not justice nor does it contribute to civilizing society

Comment

Civilizing society is subject to ones veiwpoint. And while I might not agree on a great many things in muslim law, I do beleive that this is a fair punishment. He obviously felt it was OK to throw acid in someones fair, so therefore it must be fiar for someone to do it to him. Do unto others and all that jazz.
        Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

acid attacks are rampant in pakistan and bangladesh and are rising in frequency. unless the governments of these countries take harsher measures such as above, then these sort of cases will rise in frequency. the judge in this situation has made a correct decision.
          Brahma Sarvam Jagan Mithya
          Jivo Brahmaiva Na Aparah

Comment

Sounds like fair punishment to me....given how nasty it would be to throw acid in ones face I think doing the same to him would learn em...
            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
            X