Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For development, a pre-1947 dargah is razed. Modidom burns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For development, a pre-1947 dargah is razed. Modidom burns.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...%29&sid=1&pn=2

"My heart is a thorn filled with longing for Gujarat...on earth there exists no balm for its wound. My heart split asunder by the dagger of separation."

—Vali Gujarati, Sufi saint/poet (1650-1707)

On February 28, '02, Vali Gujarati's tomb in Ahmedabad was razed to the ground by Hindu mobs. Overnight, it vanished and a road was paved on the spot where it once stood. On May 1, '06, the less significant and tiny Rashiduddin Chishti dargah on the Fatehpura-Champaner road in Vadodara was razed to the ground. Three bulldozers were used by the city municipal corporation to bring down a mere seven-foot structure. Riots broke out in Vadodara. Six people were killed, each death a grisly reminder of the 2002 riots. Hundreds were injured as the city burnt. Eventually, the Centre had to send the army to keep the mobs in check.

The question now is, why did local authorities indulge in such a blatantly provocative act, destroying a dargah that residents believe is 200 years old? True, it wasn't of great historical value; it was a typical roadside mazaar. Yet it was a religious structure of some vintage. Outlook has a copy of a 1912 city survey record on which the shrine is clearly marked. In the context of the Places of Worship (special provisions) Act passed by the Indian Parliament in 1991, it is illegal to demolish a shrine built before 1947. The act seeks to "prohibit the conversion of any place of worship and to provide for the maintenance of the religious character of any place of worship as it existed on the 15th of August, 1947".

The BJP-ruled municipal corporation claims it has been even-handed towards Hindus and Muslims. Mayor Sunil Solanki has said that a number of roadside temples were removed, so why not the dargah. Civic officials say four such temple encroachments were removed in the Tulsiwadi area of Vadodara on April 3, and a dargah and accompanying temple at Danteshwar on April 21. Again on April 28, two temple-like structures were demolished in Alkapuri and three on Productivity Road a day later.

Click here: A 1912 Vadodara city survey map showing the dargah marked in red

Then, on April 28, the municipal corporation issued a notice for the demolition of the Rashiduddin Chishti dargah. The residents were violently opposed, so negotiations began. According to advocate Moin Rafi, the community had agreed to reduce the width of the dargah. But even as negotiations were on, the structure was demolished and the city went up in flames.

The administration had meanwhile got a shot in the arm by a controversial ruling of the Gujarat HC. Taking note of a newspaper report, a two-judge bench directed all municipal corporations to demolish all illegal religious shrines encroaching on public spaces. Four days after the violence broke, the Supreme Court again had to overturn the decision of the Gujarat High Court. On May 4, on a plea made by the Centre, a two-judge bench stayed the state HC order.

Although roadside temples had been demolished, they were recent structures. The dargah was built pre-1947. Local residents say the demolition was nothing more than a show of strength by the VHP and local BJP. They had been putting pressure on the administration to pull down a "Muslim shrine" for all the roadside mandirs being destroyed. An eye for an eye. The more the Muslims argued that this was an old structure, the more determined were the VHP-BJP hardliners to destroy it.

Yusuf Sheikh is an active organiser and community leader in Vadodara.

He believes the entire episode was pre-planned. "It's not necessary that Modi should give an order. The VHP-BJP have their little factions. They all want to show they are real men. So every now and then, it's useful to attack Muslim symbols." He says the VHP-Bajrang Dal cadre have now realised that they cannot really hurt the community by burning their shops because post-2002 many Muslim businessmen have insured their properties. "So very few shops were targeted. But small traders and those who work out of kiosks and stands were destroyed." Aren't the Muslims too scared to protest? "They get beaten when they are scared, so now they are just getting angry and feeling helpless," says Yusuf.

So was this a "power" statement by the BJP establishment? There is no evidence to show that chief minister Narendra Modi masterminded the episode. But political analysts say once violence erupted, he watched the situation for two days before finally taking action. There's also another theory doing the rounds. It is widely believed that Modi has been doing so well in every byelection and local election that he considers himself invincible right now and would like to prepone the assembly polls scheduled for November 2007. But once the Centre began making noises, Modi quickly realised that without a friendly government at the Centre, instead of polls he may be stuck with President's rule. So after two days of violence, he became the saviour, posing with Muslim victims in hospitals. He warned of stern action against all who took the law into their own hands. The violence ebbed.

Gagan Sethi of the Ahmedabad-based Centre for Social Justice explains the situation. He says the overt exclusion of Muslims continues in small and medium towns, including Vadodara. Any attempt at normalcy is frowned upon by the VHP cadres, now enmeshed in positions of power. "The problem here is that in a communal situation the police really do not know what it's supposed to do. They have to be told it's okay to try and impose a semblance of order. Once Modi decides the violence must stop, it does," says Sethi.

Meanwhile, a political point has been proven. Closer to the polls, more action can be expected in Modi's Gujarat. Sporadic communal flare-ups to keep the blood flowing. Meanwhile, the CM is now said to be in search of that one big emotive issue which enmeshes Hindu and Gujarati pride. No doubt he'll find one, he is a pastmaster at this game.

By R.K. Mishra and Saba Naqvi Bhaumik
    I would like to appeal to all the Indians here to speak up for their fellow countrymen in India, Hindu/Muslim or otherwise. Don't let crooks like Modi win.
    Last edited by Asim Aquil; 09 May 06,, 22:03.

The BJP-ruled municipal corporation claims it has been even-handed towards Hindus and Muslims. Mayor Sunil Solanki has said that a number of roadside temples were removed, so why not the dargah.Civic officials say four such temple encroachments were removed in the Tulsiwadi area of Vadodara on April 3, and a dargah and accompanying temple at Danteshwar on April 21. Again on April 28, two temple-like structures were demolished in Alkapuri and three on Productivity Road a day later.
    Last edited by stone_cold; 09 May 06,, 22:08.

Comment

Oh do hell with this dargah. It is clearly encroaching as it can be seen. There are enough Dargah's in Gujarat to be worshiped at.

This is not about religion, its about social good.
      The road is not designed for Hindus, its for everyone. It could have been there from 1000 BC for all I care.

Doesn't mean that such ludicrous structures should hold up drives by govt to ensure roads are cleared of such encroachments.

Anyways Muslims time after time are displaying their loyalty to their respective countries worldwide, they show no respect for social development.

All they care about is their own religion and nothing else, this is a pathetic state of affairs where forget uneducated, even the educated muslims are behaving like extremists.

If the cartoon demonstrations didn't teach the world something then these confrontrations will not even.

Comment

Originally posted by stone_cold
        The BJP-ruled municipal corporation claims it has been even-handed towards Hindus and Muslims. [B]Mayor Sunil Solanki has said that a number of roadside temples were removed, so why not the dargah.[/B] Civic officials say four such temple encroachments were removed in the Tulsiwadi area of Vadodara on April 3, and a dargah and accompanying temple at Danteshwar on April 21. Again on April 28, two temple-like structures were demolished in Alkapuri and three on Productivity Road a day later.
        Why r u even offering an explanation to this troll. They will budge at nothing. For them religion is everything, social good can take a back seat.

So what if Dargah is built on a road, so what if no muslim actually visits it, surely there must be mosques & other dargah's around.
        So what if that Dargah is causing inconvineince to people.

The religion should take a front seat, the country & social good can go to hell.

I say not only should the govt demolish that illegal structure but should improsen anyone rioting against its demolition.

These religious fanatics have no place in our country. I am happy to sponser them to a place which will give their religion more importance then the country & social good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
          Oh do hell with this dargah. It is clearly encroaching as it can be seen. There are enough Dargah's in Gujarat to be worshiped at.

This is not about religion, its about social good.
          The road is not designed for Hindus, its for everyone. It could have been there from 1000 BC for all I care.

Doesn't mean that such ludicrous structures should hold up drives by govt to ensure roads are cleared of such encroachments.

Anyways Muslims time after time are displaying their loyalty to their respective countries worldwide, they show no respect for social development.

All they care about is their own religion and nothing else, this is a pathetic state of affairs where forget uneducated, even the educated muslims are behaving like extremists.

If the cartoon demonstrations didn't teach the world something then these confrontrations will not even.
          You wasted 2 mins of your life dignifying this nonsense with a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
            http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...%29&sid=1&pn=2

I would like to appeal to all the Indians here to speak up for their fellow countrymen in India, Hindu/Muslim or otherwise. Don't let crooks like Modi win.

WHat a hypocrite. U call Modi a crook, when your own country has sponsered terrorists for decades in our country.

You are such a hypocrite. You have the audacity to call Modi a crook while your own hands are soaked in Blood.

You have no character, you have no respect for humans, you have no shame and yet you post such ludicrous comments.

You are indeed a Pakistani full of hate, blinded by ignorance & propoganda fed by your government.

May god bless you for you need his blessings if you are to survive in this world of crooks.

Comment

The BJP-ruled municipal corporation claims it has been even-handed towards Hindus and Muslims. Mayor Sunil Solanki has said that a number of roadside temples were removed, so why not the dargah.Civic officials say four such temple encroachments were removed in the Tulsiwadi area of Vadodara on April 3, and a dargah and accompanying temple at Danteshwar on April 21. Again on April 28, two temple-like structures were demolished in Alkapuri and three on Productivity Road a day later.
              I do understand and I did highlight the entire paragraph for that reason.

But the article talks about Modi's sly tactics in exploiting Hindu-Muslim strife in your nation.

He's a thug, a crook!

A LAW stated that pre-1947 religious shrines CANNOT be demolished. Temples and dargahs demolished were all recent. The LAW was reversed or overlooked and Modi a crook, a traitor of your nation exploited the situation.

Comment

But the article talks about Modi's sly tactics in exploiting Hindu-Muslim strife in your nation.

He's a thug, a crook!

A LAW stated that pre-1947 religious shrines CANNOT be demolished. Temples and dargahs demolished were all recent. The LAW was reversed or overlooked and Modi a crook, a traitor of your nation exploited the situation.

India is a democracy. Parliament has the right to ammend the laws and at many times the CM has the power to do so.

I call you and your countrymen terrorists for sponsering terrorism in kashmir.

R u willing to answer that for me.

So u don't even know what happened to the law, was it overlooked or reversed. Well do ur research first.

Don't go on hunches like that

Comment

WHat a hypocrite. U call Modi a crook, when your own country has sponsered terrorists for decades in our country.

You are such a hypocrite. You have the audacity to call Modi a crook while your own hands are soaked in Blood.

You have no character, you have no respect for humans, you have no shame and yet you post such ludicrous comments.

You are indeed a Pakistani full of hate, blinded by ignorance & propoganda fed by your government.

May god bless you for you need his blessings if you are to survive in this world of crooks.
                  Though I can argue my country's noble policies towards India, this is hardly the place n time, so I shall not. You're welcome to create a new thread and you'd see me reply to everything.

If I am all that for calling Modi a crook, merely repeating and expressing the sentiments as observed and stoked within me by an Indian writer in the outlookindia.com's website?

Then what are you for failing to stand upto Modi?

Comment

Why r u even offering an explanation to this troll. They will budge at nothing. For them religion is everything, social good can take a back seat.

So what if Dargah is built on a road, so what if no muslim actually visits it, surely there must be mosques & other dargah's around.
                    So what if that Dargah is causing inconvineince to people.

The religion should take a front seat, the country & social good can go to hell.

I say not only should the govt demolish that illegal structure but should improsen anyone rioting against its demolition.

These religious fanatics have no place in our country. I am happy to sponser them to a place which will give their religion more importance then the country & social good.
                    lol mate you are a lean mean typing machine. I apologize for my previous response, you beat me to that. I merely intended to ridicule his argument, didnt put much effort.

Comment

Though I can argue my country's noble policies towards India, this is hardly the place n time, so I shall not. You're welcome to create a new thread and you'd see me reply to everything.

If I am all that for calling Modi a crook, merely repeating and expressing the sentiments as observed and stoked within me by an Indian writer in the outlookindia.com's website?

Then what are you for failing to stand upto Modi?

I am well aware of Modi's doings in Gujarat. This is not about Modi.

This is about that Dargah encroaching the road. You as usual are trying to twist this thread to your gains.

But not this time, you can moan about Modi, but he himself didn't sanction it. It was sanctioned through a chain of command.

You seem to be implying that MODI personally ordered this.

Your very standings are hollow.

Comment

He's a thug, a crook!

Then make up your mind. You're against the demolition of dargah or reversion of some 50 yrs old policies.

Comment

Then make up your mind. You're against the demolition of dargah or reversion of some 50 yrs old policies.

Niether. He is just pushing his luck as usual by twisting the post to his personal gain.

Comment

Please read the article once again. In case you missed it it was the writer who implied that. I echoed the sentiments at best.

Hmmm chain of command? Modi might have not directly been involved but his Hindu nationalist parties like VHP and BJP have their own little groups to do the dirty deeds.

Good sir, why do you choose to ignore this bit:

"It's not necessary that Modi should give an order. The VHP-BJP have their little factions. They all want to show they are real men. So every now and then, it's useful to attack Muslim symbols." He says the VHP-Bajrang Dal cadre have now realised that they cannot really hurt the community by burning their shops because post-2002 many Muslim businessmen have insured their properties. "So very few shops were targeted. But small traders and those who work out of kiosks and stands were destroyed."
                            Even at peak violence situation the police is unsure of whether or not should it control the situation or let the Modidom burn. Good sir, don't ignore this either:
                            "The problem here is that in a communal situation the police really do not know what it's supposed to do. They have to be told it's okay to try and impose a semblance of order. Once Modi decides the violence must stop, it does," says Sethi.
                            The sentiment as I echo it:

Meanwhile, a political point has been proven. Closer to the polls, more action can be expected in Modi's Gujarat. Sporadic communal flare-ups to keep the blood flowing. Meanwhile, the CM is now said to be in search of that one big emotive issue which enmeshes Hindu and Gujarati pride. No doubt he'll find one, he is a pastmaster at this game.
                            Modi beseeches violence for his own gain. Good sir, this IS your nation and YOUR countrymen that burn.

Comment

'When temple can go, so can dargah'

Gujarat's date with controversy continues.

This time it comes cloaked as a dargah demolition. Needless to say, everything acquires a communal angle in an emotionally charged atmosphere.

The issue of contention: a 300-odd year old dargah stands on government land and was therefore brought down.

An overwhelming number of our surfers feel that the demolition was justified. Their justification: if a temple or a church can be demolished if illegal, then why not a mosque?

Ghanshyam from Ranchi said, "The demolition is justified. Everybody has to abide by the law. Why don't these people cry on similar incidents in other Muslim countries like Turkey and the UAE?"

Anil from New Delhi is surprised that nobody had brought up the topic when temples were pulled down.

"If the 20 temples can be demolished then why not a dargah? It may have been 300 years old. But how does that matter? Surprisingly, nobody talks about temples and if someone does, he is tagged a communal."

An anonymous writer from Dubai said, "We have to become mature and respect the government's decision."

Shantling C Patil from Bangalore couldn't agree more. "Yes, as they were doing it for the betterment of the city," she said.

"Any illegal structure built on government land should be demolished. Those who object should think of how they will feel if someone constructed an illegal structure on their property and then refused to vacate."

Nishu from Bangalore said, "Yes, it was entirely justified. Many temples have been brought down in the past. This is not an isolated incident."

An anonymous surfer from Surat said, "Dargahs, churches and temples are demolished all around the globe if they hinder development, but it creates such a furore only in India."

However, not everybody was so easily convinced about the demolition. Many saw it as a replay of 2002-like situation. They felt the state administration was deliberately rubbing the minorities the wrong way.

"No, religious places, whether Islamic or Hindu, must be respected. The authorities must know that destroying such a site would cause anger and it did. Muslims don't liked being pushed around," said Md Saif Khan of Auckland.

Surash from Gujarat felt the same way. "It was done intentionally to spark communal violence and to hurt Muslims feelings. The government must pay for it."

Shashi Sharma from Bhopal, too, felt that the action was completely unjust.

Varun Singh from New Delhi drew a parallel between demolition of the dargah with the desecration of the Bamiyan Buddhas.

"No, I don't think it is justified because of the historical significance of the dargah. It existed before the city was mapped and poor planning doesn't justify destroying historically significant buildings. This action by the government looks eerily similar to Taliban's destruction of Buddha statues at Bamiyan."

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1690628,0093.htm
                              Ya right

Comment

Working...
                              X