Musharraf's PML in trouble!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musharraf's PML in trouble!?

Back Shujaat, Musharraf tells disgruntled leaders (Democracy indeed!)
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...5-5-2006_pg1_1

ISLAMABAD: No Pakistan Muslim League (PML) leader can operate against PML President Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain because he has the president’s full confidence to lead the party, sources quoted President General Pervez Musharraf as telling PML vice presidents on Thursday.

Sources told Daily Times that Musharraf directed PML vice presidents Ejazul Haq, Hamid Nasir Chattha and Manzoor Wattoo – who reportedly oppose the top leadership’s policies - to empower Shujaat instead of “weakening him by holding meetings against him”. The leaders pledged to obey his order. Chattha, Wattoo, Haq, Majeed Malik, Kabir Wasti, Azeem Chaudhry and Iqbal Dar said they opposed Shujaat’s policies in two recent meetings. They also said the PML was not being run according to the Constitution.

Sources said Musharraf had been upset over reports of tension in PML ranks. He asked PML leaders to set aside their differences and prepare for the next general elections.

The vice presidents told the president that the PML’s top leadership was running the party without consulting senior leaders. “Decisions are not being taken on the party platform, the Central Working Committee has not met for a long time and top leaders have failed to summon parliamentary party meetings regularly,” they complained. After meeting the president, Chattha and Wattoo said that they were not conspiring against Shujaat by holding meetings. Future CWC meetings might discuss the issue of the president’s uniform and make a unanimous decision, he said. “Elahi’s statement favouring the president’s uniform is his opinion,” he said.

He said the PML would try to evolve a consensus on one candidate for the office of the PML president. “Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz are not being considered as candidates,” he stressed.

Online adds: President Musharraf has called a meeting of the Sindh Muslim League today (Friday) at 11am at the Aiwan-i-Sadr to discuss political affairs of the province.

Chaudhry Shujaat will also be present at the meeting.

---------

Why is the dictator general forcing people to support his poster child? Is this the same Champion of Democracy Musharraf?
    I rant, therefore I am.

Originally posted by srirangan
    Why is the dictator general forcing people to support his poster child? Is this the same Champion of Democracy Musharraf?
    Its nothing new dude.You know Mushy even forced some of the legislators to join PML. Check out this from Global security,

The PML (Q) is the undisputed ‘King’s Party’. Led by Mian Azhar, the party is backed by General Musharraf’s government and has been heavily promoted by the Army in Punjab and in Sindh. The PML (Q) started as a small group of half a dozen like-minded people in the PML, including Mian Azhar, Khurshid Kasuri, Abida Hussain and Fakhr Imam in defiance of Nawaz Sharif and his family's monopoly on the party. The group expanded and took the form of the PML-Q. In 2000 and 2001, the Musharraf administration pressured local PML-N leaders and former legislators to defect and join the PML-Q. The majority obliged. In the 2000-01 non-party local government elections, most of the councilors and district nazims belonged to the PML-Q.

The PML (Q) considers itself liberal, moderate, and progressive. Although they are backed by General Musharraf, they have, at various points, promised a permanent removal of the army from the civilian domain to gain credibility with the public. PML(Q) leaders individually have offered variations on the theme: there can be a National Security Council (NSC) but it should be presided over by the prime minister and not the president. The party agrees with General Musharraf on his change of policy over Afghanistan and the adjustments he has had made to his Kashmir policy. The PML (Q)’s agenda and program for governance is vague, but the party’s confidence is high. The Asia Times reports that the party recently took out a brazen full-page ad in major newspapers in which statements and opinions of politicians and analysts were reproduced saying that the PML-Q would be in power "by hook or by crook", to which is added the comments, "Why waste your votes to the losers. Cast your votes to those to whom all political parties and newspapers reckon as winner." Party leader Mian Azhar’s national-level support base is minimal, but his name is being floated as a potential Prime Minister.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...stan/pml-q.htm
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Jay,

The article you have posted seems to be quite old.

Mian Azhar lost elections and parted from PML Q long time ago. He now has a party of his own.

It was a political move. Mian Azhar was lured into contesting elections from Lahore (a NS strong hold) and as expected he lost.
      Last edited by Lahori paa jee; 05 May 06,, 20:07.
      Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
      Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

From the looks of it Musharraf's just trying to diffuse tensions.

C'mon man, Watto's the biggest lota in Pakistani politics.

Lota status is given to people who keep switching sides. Wattoo, went BB, Nawaz back to BB then skipped the next Nawaz and now is in with the current government.

Ejaz ul Haq, is Zia's son! He publically vows to carry on his father's legacies.

Musharraf should try n get PML-Q to kick these useless idiots out.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
          From the looks of it Musharraf's just trying to diffuse tensions.

C'mon man, Watto's the biggest lota in Pakistani politics.

Lota status is given to people who keep switching sides. Wattoo, went BB, Nawaz back to BB then skipped the next Nawaz and now is in with the current government.

Ejaz ul Haq, is Zia's son! He publically vows to carry on his father's legacies.

Musharraf should try n get PML-Q to kick these useless idiots out.
          Talking of Lota's i would like to point out a few others.

Sheikh Rashid ------------- Zia, NS and now Mushy

Khursheed Kasuri -------------- Zulfi Bhutto, Zia, BB, NS and now Mushy

Begum Abida Hussain ------------- Zia, NS, Mushy and now BB

Jamat e Islami ------------ Brought to main stream by Zia, enjoyed support of PA (still do) and now working against/for Mushy

Muala Faul ur rehman ----------------- Son of a great lota, Mualana desiel under BB, wanted to be PM under muhsy but oppses his rule when kicked out

MQM ----------------- Created by establishment to counter Jamat e Islami and PPP

and Shairpao, Mushahid Hussain Syed

Comment

Musharraf is not defusing anything.

He is just trying to secure his gaddi into eternity

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Back in the time when there was only BB/NS, when switches happened it happened between them.

Correct me if I'm wrong Mushahid wsa never a Piplia (PPPP). And Sherpao's made his own faction of PPPP the PPPS?

To have sided with NS = to have sided with Zia back in those days. Nawaz Sharif was brought into the scene by Zia.

I like Mushahid, Kasuri, Sherpao and S. Rasheed. They're on Camp Musharraf's side I guess probably cause they're one of the better debaters and encyclopedia of facts. I like them in that order too. Rasheed's mannerism doesn't impress me much, although full points to him for aggression and giving it straight to the Mullahs.

Mushahid sometimes writes for Khaleej Times, always a treat to read his stuff.

Anyway, getting rid of Ejaz at least would be the 1st step in correction of the problem. Where'd he win from Pindi?

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                Back in the time when there was only BB/NS, when switches happened it happened between them.
                Yea thats true. But what happened under Mushy has never happened in history. Given the nature of rivalry between NS/BB, yet they came together and to joins hand to pass a bill with huge majority against floor crossing. That was back in 1997-98.

In 2003 elections when there was a deadlock over government formation. ISI did some arm twisting of PPP leaders to separate from BB, Mushy lifted the floor crossing bill for 24 hours and this government came to power

Correct me if I'm wrong Mushahid wsa never a Piplia (PPPP). Mushahid sometimes writes for Khaleej Times, always a treat to read his stuff.
                Did i say he was a piplia.

But i like him too. I have seen him so many times in PU (i have heard that he used to teach in pu before joining politics). A close friend of my research supervisor.

And Sherpao's made his own faction of PPPP the PPPS?

I like Mushahid, Kasuri, Sherpao and S. Rasheed. They're on Camp Musharraf's side I guess probably cause they're one of the better debaters and encyclopedia of facts. I like them in that order too. Rasheed's mannerism doesn't impress me much, although full points to him for aggression and giving it straight to the Mullahs.
                Im very sorry to hear that u like Sheeda and Serpao

Sherpao is the most corrupt leader Pakistan ever had.

Sheeda has no sense of what is he talking about. Listen to any of his interview. again i say listen to any of his interview. He starts off with one point talks and talks and talks and ends at a completely different point which has no realtion to what he was saying.

Anyway, getting rid of Ejaz at least would be the 1st step in correction of the problem. Where'd he win from Pindi?
                Not possible. He has strong links in army thanks to his father.

Comment

Lahori,

The way you keep harping back to the Army, it appears that the Army arbitrates on Pakistani politics!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    Lahori,

The way you keep harping back to the Army, it appears that the Army arbitrates on Pakistani politics!

Musharraf is pretty much doing the same. Actually, he's doing more than arbitrating. He is the accused, defence and the judge.
                    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Working...
                    X