US General Visits Pak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US General Visits Pak

Friday, May 05, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Is Abizaid’s visit routine?

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and the US agreed on Thursday to enhance intelligence sharing for combating terrorist activities and promote military ties.

The decision to this effect was taken during a meeting between US Central Command chief Gen John Abizaid and President Musharraf on Thursday.

Military sources told Online that the two sides agreed on enhancing sharing of military intelligence to make the war on terror more effective.

Major General Shaukat Sultan, the ISPR chief, said Gen Abizaid was on a routine visit. An official statement said, “They discussed the geo-strategic environment, the regional situation and matters of mutual interest during the meeting.” The visit coincided with joint exercises involving special forces of the United States, Pakistan and Afghanistan at Cherath. The US commander also visited the army’s general headquarters and met Vice Chief of Army Staff General Ahsan Saleem Hyat, the statement said.

Separately, State Department counter-terrorism official Henry A Crumpton held talks at the Interior Ministry to discuss ways to strengthen Pakistani forces along the border with Afghanistan.

Sources told Daily Times the two senior US officials could be visiting Pakistan in the context of an operation against Al Qaeda or Taliban forces in the borderland by one or more of the allies in the war against terror.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...5-5-2006_pg1_7
    The visit by the US Cent Com Chief is interesting.

The US is indeed showing over enthusiasm in Pak's WoT ever since Bush's visit.

It would be not incorrect to assume that he is overseeing US interests in the trination exercise going on in NWFP, but the activities do indicate a bit of extra Big Brother interest.

Since NWFP is out of bounds for journalists, one will never know the outcome till some tribal comes out and squeals!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

NWFP is out of bounds for journalists? You know something I don't?

Abizaid negotiated the intelligence sharing deal with Pakistan over the War on Terror.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
      NWFP is out of bounds for journalists? You know something I don't?

Abizaid negotiated the intelligence sharing deal with Pakistan over the War on Terror.
      Maybe since I don't have buttons for eyes as you apparently have.

Remember there was a post where you were advised to read in Braille?

If you read the threads you will find it so stated from a Pakistan commentary!

A Chief of a Command does not share intelligence. He is the overall commander and does not purvey jucicy tid bits. He directs.

His underlings purvey!
      Last edited by Ray; 05 May 06,, 19:42.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
        Since NWFP is out of bounds for journalists, one will never know the outcome till some tribal comes out and squeals!
        Thats a lie Sir!
        Read Farzana Shah's articles in any english newspaper in Pakistan.
        She's based in Peshawar.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
          Thats a lie Sir!
          Read Farzana Shah's articles in any english newspaper in Pakistan.
          She's based in Peshawar.

You are well advised to be a bit more careful before you use such strong words as "lies".

Coming from you, it was not expected and that too because it becomes evident that you do not read the newspaper reports that I post and that you have not checked the threads.

I do not lie and it is a well known fact amongst those who know me. I have that much of confidence to take on any discussion on the merits of available facts. I am not like some who require to tell lies or obfuscate or twist thread titles to convey a point.

Notwithstanding:

Sealed off from normal reporting because the army didn’t allow local journalists to go to the area,.........

The fact is that the government has been hurt by its policy of not allowing local journalists to report from the tribal areas. The area was declared out of bounds, not because the government was doing anything illegal there but because it steadily botched operations it undertook in the earlier phase.
          http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/defaul..._1-5-2006_pg3_1
          I may be advanced in years but my memory is still sharp.

Statements like yours only makes me waste time to locate.

I have not gone to NWFP but the English above does categorically states:
          "The fact is that the government has been hurt by its policy of not allowing local journalists to report from the tribal areas. The area was declared out of bounds, not because the government was doing anything illegal there but because it steadily botched operations it undertook in the earlier phase."

It means, in plain English, that the journalist were not allowed and the area is out of bounds and journalists are not being allowed to report from the tribal areas. The operative word is "From".

Peshawar is as good as being in Calcutta and stating that one has seen India!

Please read the news paper reports I post so that you are attuned to what I am referring to, rather than give loose remarks that does not behove a man of your standing with me!

Had it come from someone else I would have not even bothered since the others are basically punk like Johnny Come Latelys! Upstarts without knowledge!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

Dailytimes is wellknown for biased reports and lies, one reason I donot use it as a credible source.
            Hence my earlier comment referred to your media based statement that 'journalists are not allowed in NWFP', not personally at you!

Since I know the hournalist Farzana Shah personally, I'll rather stick to her stories and the fact that she reports from Peshawar than whatever pakistandaily is reporting.

I apologies for any unintended offence!
            Neo

Comment

Neo,

I have access to Daily Times and Dawn.

I am afraid my knowledge will have to be gleaned from them.

But remember, I am not a liar or a sychophant and I hold that reputation in the Indian Army and am respected for that.

Therefore, I take seriously any accusation of being called a liar.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                Neo,

I have access to Daily Times and Dawn.

I am afraid my knowledge will have to be gleaned from them.
                The Dawn is okay, but Dailytimes will certainly affect your opinion about Pakistan.
                The source is as credible as ToI or any third class tabloid.

But remember, I am not a liar or a sychophant and I hold that reputation in the Indian Army and am respected for that.

Therefore, I take seriously any accusation of being called a liar.
                My apology once again!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                  Maybe since I don't have buttons for eyes as you apparently have.

Remember there was a post where you were advised to read in Braille?

If you read the threads you will find it so stated from a Pakistan commentary!

A Chief of a Command does not share intelligence. He is the overall commander and does not purvey jucicy tid bits. He directs.

His underlings purvey!
                  now you've lost it, posting in briale....you do ralise that fullstops do not penetrate a computer screen thus he cannot read posts in brialle because you cannot make posts in brialle.

Government won't allow journolists into area's being bombed, boo-hoo, perhaps they should, rid the country of some tabloid vermin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    Sir,

Please check this link;

http://www.paktribune.com/news/authorscenter.php?id=97

This journalist is a personal friend of mine, I call her every week in Peshawar.
                    I've included some of her articles aswell in the link.

Neo

Comment

An operation in the offing?

The US Central Command chief, General John Abizaid, was in Pakistan and met General Pervez Musharraf. What is known of the meeting is routine stuff. The two sides agreed on enhancing intelligence sharing for combating terrorist activities and promoting military ties. This is corroborated by what the ISPR chief, Major-General Shaukat Sultan, told the media after the meeting. But is this all there was to the meeting?

This newspaper reported that a top State Department counter-terrorism official, Henry A Crumpton, separately held talks at the Interior Ministry to discuss ways to strengthen Pakistani forces along the border with Afghanistan. Is it a coincidence that both General Abizaid and Mr Crumpton were in Pakistan at the same time? Some insiders say they were visiting Pakistan in the context of a possible operation against Al Qaeda or Taliban forces in the borderland jointly or by one or more of the allies in the war against terror.

Seen from that perspective, what are possible options? Does the US have intelligence on Al Qaeda bigwigs? If yes, does it want to launch an operation itself, or was Gen Abizaid here to co-opt Pakistan to do so on the strength of US intelligence? It should be clear that having US troops on the ground in Pakistan would only add to General Musharraf’s current poor ratings. He knows that he is increasingly becoming unpopular and has said that in so many words. While he is still committed to the task at hand, surely he is not likely to do so in any way that could destabilise him. Perhaps the US could give air support to Pakistani troops when they go in for an extraction operation. That might be the safest course in political terms. But things can still go wrong as they did in the case of Damadola or Bajaur. *

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...6-5-2006_pg3_1

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                        Sir,

Please check this link;

http://www.paktribune.com/news/authorscenter.php?id=97

This journalist is a personal friend of mine, I call her every week in Peshawar.
                        I've included some of her articles aswell in the link.

Neo

All I can say she is a pretty lady.

She has a striking resemblance to that Human Right Commission head lady!

Give her my regards next time yu talk to her!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Hope you understand why I didn't believe the statement from you link that journalists are not allowed in NWFP.
                          Farzana has access to all area's in FATA, that even includes the Khyber Agency.

Comment

No comment since she is your friend.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

And a reliable source and a good journalist. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X