X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sing anthem in English: Bush

Sing anthem in English: Bush

ALEC RUSSELL

Washington, April 29: President George W Bush led American conservatives in condemning a new Spanish version of America’s national anthem and declared that Latino immigrants should learn the English version.

“One of the important things here is that we not lose our national soul,” the President said at a press briefing.

“I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English.”

His comments came after a new Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner was published, triggering a furious backlash from American conservatives who see it as a paean to illegal immigration.

Recorded by a host of Latino pop stars, Nuestro Himno, (Our Anthem), hit the airwaves yesterday on Hispanic radio and television stations.

Adam Kidron, the British music producer who came up with the idea, said he saw the new version as an ode to the millions of Latinos seeking a new life in America.

But with tensions over illegal immigration at their worst in years, the song has raised hackles. Dubbed The Illegal Alien Anthem by conservative bloggers, it has been hailed as proof that the wave of immigrants pouring in from Latin America have no interest in becoming Americans.

“This is evoking spirited revulsion on the part of fair-minded Americans,” said John Teeley from the Centre for Immigration Studies, a Washington think-tank that backs tighter immigration controls.

“You are talking about something sacred and iconic in the American culture. Just as we wouldn’t expect people to change the colours of the national flag we wouldn’t expect people to fundamentally change the anthem and rewrite it in a foreign language.”

Nuestro Himno keeps the familiar melody and structure of the original but the rhythms are drawn from Latinpop and many of the verses have been rewritten, with some of the original references to war softened or removed.

It was recorded to be ready for this week’s debate in Congress over immigration, which is shaping up as the big political battle of the year. The pop stars, including Gloria Trevi, the “Madonna of Mexico”, said it was meant to be an anthem of solidarity for the millions who have marched in recent weeks demonstrating against immigration laws.

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
    http://www.telegraphindia.com/archives/archive.html
    He has a point.

Why should one become so weirdly innovative and start singing in a anguage that he wishes to sing in? It not a song. It is an anthem!

There is a lot of difference between the two!

Next, one would be rapping the anthem!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

We should all head down to Mexico and organize a protest of their corrupt government, sing Mexican national anthem in English, demand welfare, fly Mexican flags upside down underneath the American flag, and see what happens.

Then we treat the illegals here the same way they treat us down there.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I don't know, I like the English version of the Pakistani national Anthem.

Intentions should count for a lot more, Mr. Bush.

Comment

Asim,

Sing the Pakistani national anthem in Esperanto if you wish.

Your dislike for Bush shows in all your posts.

Tone it down, lest he sends his nukes on you.

Do read the Defence news in the Westrern Hemisphere sub forum.

Parihaka might help you to sing the Pakistani national anthem in Maori if you say pretty please to him. It sounds great inMaori I am told!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Intentions count. Just my opinion, Ray.

Comment

I will try to translate into Esparanto and if I succeed I will send to you.

I am sure you know the music to the anthem.

Make yur band sing and let us know how it sounds.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It's very adaptive. Doesn't sound too bad in this electric guitars version by Junoon.

http://www.sangeetradio.com/music/Pa...l%20Anthem.wma

Perhaps if rap music was as much of a rage as rock music in Pakistan we would've rapped it too.

Tarjumane mazishane hal jane istaqbal
              Sayyai, khudae zul jalal.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                It's very adaptive. Doesn't sound too bad in this electric guitars version by Junoon.

http://www.sangeetradio.com/music/Pa...l%20Anthem.wma

Perhaps if rap music was as much of a rage as rock music in Pakistan we would've rapped it too.

Tarjumane mazishane hal jane istaqbal
                Sayyai, khudae zul jalal.
                And got jailed.

You can't fiddle with a national anthem in a disrespectful way!

Rap surely is not a proper form of music acceptable by all.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                  We should all head down to Mexico and organize a protest of their corrupt government, sing Mexican national anthem in English, demand welfare, fly Mexican flags upside down underneath the American flag, and see what happens.
                  Mexico has an anthem?

Comment

I heard your Junnon version.

Nice.

Enjoyed listen to it.

Save it on the computer.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      Mexico has an anthem?
                      I would assume so. Just like I have never heard of or seen the Mexican navy but I assume they have one.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

He didn't get jailed.

He was banned for singing th song Ehtesaab. Junoon's not banned now. They end each and every concert with a rock version of this same anthem, world over!

Comment

See thats the thing, Junoon put an effort into it to attract the younger generation. Anthems are supposed to be glorified.

There are people in America who know zilch English. Maybe this is the writer's way of glorifying the American anthem for the new Latino immigrants.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                            Intentions count. Just my opinion, Ray.
                            Well if your intention is to become a U.S. citizen then it might not be a good idea to wave foreign flags and alter the words of the National Anthem in another language. Seems to me alot of them want to have all the rights of U.S citizenship without really making any effort to assimilate or even hold any real allegiance to this country. I see no reason to even consider offering citizenship to people like this.

In regards to the article, it wasn't just conservatives that took exception to this.

Comment

I don't think thats what Bush was objecting to.

Bush's dictate came like this:
                              “I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English.”
                              Translation is different from alteration.

Comment

Working...
                              X