Asia wins right to host 2011 CWC, sorry Parihaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asia wins right to host 2011 CWC, sorry Parihaka

Yeah, its official, the greatest event in sports is going to return to the real home of cricket South Asia in 2011.
    http://content-pak.cricinfo.com/ci/c...ry/245789.html
    Asia to host 2011 World Cup
    Cricinfo staff

April 30, 2006

Asia were represented by Inderjit Singh Bindra at the ICC executive committee meeting © Getty Images

Asia have won the bid to host the 2011 World Cup by beating a joint bid by Australia and New Zealand by ten votes to three. The International Cricket Council's executive committee met in Dubai on Sunday, and Asia were represented by Inderjit Singh Bindra, the former president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). While the news did the rounds and reactions poured in an official announcement from the ICC was awaited.

"We did a great job, the four countries put together an impressive presentation and we got 10 out of 13 votes," Lalit Modi, BCCI vice-president told the Press Trust of India. "We are looking forward to it. A lot of work has to go in. The four countries will jointly sit down along with ICC to chalk out plans for hosting the 2011 World Cup. A lot of infrastructure needs to be put in place. We are mentally geared up for it. We will do the task at hand."

"It will bring joy to millions and millions of Asians," Raj Singh Dungarpur, former BCCI president said soon after the news was announced. "Ehsan Mani made the announcement in the meeting. It has been also decided that Australia will get to host the World Cup in 2015 and the next edition will go to England unopposed. The whole decision process was cordial and that's how the noble game of cricket should be played on and off the field."

The result is a boost for the Asian group whose bid had been weakened by a late submission. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh had made a bid and were allowed an extension until April 21 to set out their proposal after they had difficulty hitting the first deadline in March. They were up against a joint Australia-New Zealand bid for the tournament.

Top notch facilities and experience at hosting big events were in Australia and New Zealand's favour. Australia and New Zealand jointly organised the World Cup in 1992 and feel they have the right by rotation to host the tournament in 2011. James Sutherland, chief executive of Cricket Australia, spoke of the factors that could help them clinch it. "In very recent history Australia has hosted the Olympics, hosted the Rugby World Cup and with the Commonwealth Games there's a proven track record of performance that stands us in good stead," he said. "The facilities, the track record of putting on these large sporting events, and also the resources that we have, the human resources we have in our country and New Zealand, are really strong factors in our favour."

Meanwhile the Asian group had all along believed they had a strong case. They claimed that Asia deserved to host every third edition of the World Cup. "Our claim is a rightful one," said Sharad Pawar, the chief of the Indian board. "The South Asian region has four of the ten Test-playing nations and a large part of the money earned from cricket comes from here, so there is good reason that every third World Cup be held here. Our proposal is not about India alone. To see matches being held in more countries would mean more crowd participation."

In the end, when it came down to voting, the Asian group came through with a big majority.
    And for once Pakistan and India were on the same side. :)
    Parihaka, ole chap, believe me, my heart bleeds for you guys, I was rooting for you as it is, since the last time it was hosted down under we all know who won. Apologies for that Semi Final at Eden Park again, nothing personal there you know.
    Final in pakistan.
    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Pakistan will be hosting the final, yes!!!!
    I'll be there! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
      Pakistan will be hosting the final, yes!!!!
      I'll be there! :)
      India wins the final in Pakistan. Nothing like it

Comment

It's all right lads, we'll just have to come over there to kick your arses
        Let the games begin!

Actually if you think about it, close to time Australia would have just done the dirty on us anyway, the way they did with the rugby, so more power to you.
        Fleming just scored 276 against SA. Pity he won't be around for 2011.
        Last edited by Parihaka; 30 Apr 06,, 15:08.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Final in Pakistan would be welcome but it would be a little unfair. For this will be the second time. I dont think its possible. Final wont be in Pakistan
          Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
          Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

lol Pakistan gets the finals, India gets both the semis .. Bangla and Lanka will start whining very soon ..
            I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

it would have been making a mockery of cricket putting matches in bangla...lets face it, they can barely play...one match doesn't mean they can play.

Comment

That's not the question, the Bangla board has the same right to mint money like the Indian and Pakistani boards do. No doubt India will be hosting most matches and making most money, Pakistan got the finals so they won't whine for a while .. that leaves Lanka and Bangla..
                I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

I think we are hosting about the same number of matches as per last time, when IIRC it was 17,16,4. Parihaka, with any luck it will be us against you guys in the semis........again.
                  "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
                    India wins the final in Pakistan. Nothing like it
                    Just cause we let the Sri Lankans win in 1996, does not mean that you guys will do so. My prediction, Pakistan retains the cup, (the one we will win in the Windies next year of course).
                    Now, its about time I fixed my avatar especially now, could somebody help me find it?

Comment

The ICC makes big money in the subcontinent.

The matches are so close that they almost look fixed! ;)

Let the finals be at Timbuctoo!

I shall not be there!

I shall watch the matches at my convenience and not be captive to men in rainbow coloured clothes! I shall watch it on TV and shut it down when I so wish! ;)

In the end, I shall be the winner!

I am sure Bangladesh will lift the World Cup this time!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                        Just cause we let the Sri Lankans win in 1996, does not mean that you guys will do so. My prediction, Pakistan retains the cup, (the one we will win in the Windies next year of course).
                        Now, its about time I fixed my avatar especially now, could somebody help me find it?

I am sure IAF would be on standby just in case things don't go our way;)

Comment

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Choose

Comment

Originally posted by srirangan
                              lol Pakistan gets the finals, India gets both the semis .. Bangla and Lanka will start whining very soon ..
                              Indian money is driving this one, not Bangladeshi, not Pakistani and not Sri Lankan. ;)

India is primus inter pares within the broad guidlines of whatever was agreed for the joint bid and will take first pick. The others are welcome to whine ;) ..
                              Last edited by Hari_Om; 30 Apr 06,, 19:46.

Comment

Working...
                              X