The Italian Invasion Of Greece 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Italian Invasion Of Greece 1940

Hello.I would like to know your opinions about this invasion of my country.Any opinions are welcome

Originally posted by Markos
    Hello.I would like to know your opinions about this invasion of my country.Any opinions are welcome
    My opinion is that the Greeks kicked their ass pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Markos
      Not sure what sort of 'opinions' you're looking for. Basically Il Duce was jealous of his 'senior partner's' successes up to that point (contrasted with his own lack thereof), plus Germany's 'intervention' in the Balkans. So Il Duce figured he would would steamroll over a small country in order to show the world that 'he could do it too'. Of course, once the poorly motivated, equipped, supplied and lead Italians ran into the highly motivated Greeks, the battle started to go rather badly for the Italians. Hitler didn't really want to get involved, as the Germans were preparing for the 'big show' against the Russians. However, the British were pretty insistant on 'helping' the Greeks (the Greeks being rather concerned that British intervention would lead to German intervention).

Although the original Italian invasion failed rather badly, it was a pretty big event in how it changed the plans of the major participants. The Brits halted their successful offensive in North Africa in order to send forces to Greece. This gave the Germans a chance to reinforce North Africa which ultimately extended the fighting there for a couple years. Without that 'distraction' it's likely the Brits would have cleared the Italians out of North Africa that year. The Germans ended up including Yugoslavia in their intervention in the Balkans, when Yugoslavia reneged on the treaty they had signed with Germany. The intevention probably delayed Barbarossa somewhat, although a muddy spring would likely have caused some delay in any case.

Comment

Working...
      X