Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brief glimpse of life as a Legionaire

Actual Roman soldiers complaints, etc throughout recorded history:

Roman Soldiers letters found at Vindolanda (97-105AD), on the English Scotish boarder state:-

On Provisions:

“The Soldiers Have no Beer. Please fetch some right away.”

On REMFs and Sick call:

“18 May, net number of the First Cohort of Tungrians, of which the commander is Iulius Verecundus the prefect, 752, including centurions 6 of whom there are absent:guards of the governor 46 at the office of Ferox at Coria 337 including centurions 2 (?) at London centurion 1 (?) … 6 including centurion 1 … 9 including centurion 1 at 45 total absentees 456 including centurions 5 remainder, present 296 including centurion 1 from these: sick 15 wounded 6 suffering from inflammation of the eyes 10 total of these 31 remainder, fit for active service 265 including centurion 1.”
    'If he had lice, there were baths, soap and towels; for the cold, a medical service and a hospital; if looking at the sky gave him inflamed eyes, he could sign on the sick list. If he was lonely, he could take leave and find a friend in Corbridge, or perhaps even go home to Tungria. But it would be optimistic to suppose that even the Roman army could stop the rain pattering out of the sky in a climate notorious for its tempestates molestae.'

On R and R.

"... of the century of Felicio. I ask, my lord Cerialis, that you consider me a worthy person to whom to grant leave ..."

Letter from a Roman Soldiers mother:

“I have sent(?) you...pairs of socks from Sattua, two pairs of sandals and two pairs of underpants, two pairs of sandals...Greet...Elpis...Tetricus and all your messmates with whom I pray that you live in the greatest good fortune.’

vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/tablets/
    Last edited by Bill; 27 Apr 06,, 15:53.

Originally posted by M21Sniper
    Actual Roman soldiers complaints, etc throughout recorded history:

Roman Soldiers letters found at Vindolanda (97-105AD), on the English Scotish boarder state:-

On Provisions:

“The Soldiers Have no Beer. Please fetch some right away.”

On REMFs and Sick call:

“18 May, net number of the First Cohort of Tungrians, of which the commander is Iulius Verecundus the prefect, 752, including centurions 6 of whom there are absent:guards of the governor 46 at the office of Ferox at Coria 337 including centurions 2 (?) at London centurion 1 (?) … 6 including centurion 1 … 9 including centurion 1 at 45 total absentees 456 including centurions 5 remainder, present 296 including centurion 1 from these: sick 15 wounded 6 suffering from inflammation of the eyes 10 total of these 31 rem
    Nothing much has changed has it?
    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
      Nothing much has changed has it?
      LOL, sure hasn't, but some of it must've got cut off.

There was a lot more there...

EDIT: Fixed.

Comment

Altus volo mugio extraho
        Altus volo and extraho I've got but mugio?
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

High Speed Low Drag

Comment

LOL, ok, the closest I'd got was a tall but compact flying (something)
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
              LOL, ok, the closest I'd got was a tall but compact flying (something)
              Well now you know Legionaire Parihaka!

Comment

Working...
              X