X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopt a Sniper

For anybody that's interested:

http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/003664.html

You have probably noticed the links to AmericanSnipers.org on Murdoc Online. If you haven't checked this group out, why not give it a try?

They are a great volunteer organization that collects gear for our overseas snipers and gets it to the guys who need it. It's a bit shameful that our snipers, who are playing such a huge role in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other less-publicized places today often don't get the specialized gear that they need to be at the top of their game.

AmericanSnipers.org means to remedy that situation. They've helped snipers in over 300 platoons so far, but as word of their effort spreads the demand keeps growing. Couple this with the fact that the Army recently announced it was going to double the number of snipers that they train and you can see that our snipers and designated marksmen are going to be short of gear for some time to come if we leave it to the official channels.

Murdoc's been fortunate enough to get an opportunity to write a regular column in a shooting sports trade magazine, and I just sent off my first attempt. It's a write-up of AmericanSnipers and, if I get the gig, my second will feature a couple of the items often included on sniper wish-lists.

I'll be writing more about these guys as time goes on, but don't wait for me. Go check out the site, see some of the great things they're doing, and consider buying some cool AmericanSnipers gear or making a donation of cash or equipment.

posted by Murdoc - April 20, 2006 12:43 PM
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by shek
    For anybody that's interested:
    Luna posted this ages ago, but it's a very worhty program nonetheless. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      Luna posted this ages ago, but it's a very worhty program nonetheless. :)
      Oops, sorry. I thought it looked a little familiar. Now I know why
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek
        Oops, sorry. I thought it looked a little familiar. Now I know why
        No big deal sir, the more exposure for the program the better. Sure wish they had this when i was in....LOL.

Comment

Yesterday, I saw a video of a double sniper kill in Iraq. (I think ar Ramadi.)

Two-man stay-behind team was over-watching a supply route. Early in the morning (still dark), two guys cut the wire on top of the jersey barriers along the route, and went under an overpass across the road the convoys used. While they started digging a hole for their mine, the guys (both shooters; is that new?) killed 'em with one shot each.

Good. Two less jackasses to kill OUR guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
            While they started digging a hole for their mine, the guys (both shooters; is that new?) killed 'em with one shot each.
            Not really no.

The M-25/M-14 is issued to a lot of spotters nowadays(Spotters are USASS grads too), and even the spotters with M-4s are the kinds of shots that with decent optics(which everyone has nowadays) can tag you 500 meters off regardless.

In a couple of different engagements Gunnery Sgt Carlos N. Hathcock II's favorite spotter, LCPL J.Burke, and he wiped out platoon+ stength elements. I think in one case they even whacked a whole company.

Depending on the scenario the spotter can spot, provide overwatch on a flank, call Arty or CAS, or actually shoot.

Comment

There's a bit of commentary on the video. One of the shooters and some other soldier. Apparently the bodies were still there (strange, because it's full daylight at this point), but you never see them. The sniper just says '...this guy...' and '...that one...' and points at the ground.

One thing he said is that they were pretty close to the road, and it was about 200 meters for the shot. They waited until they were sure it was only two terrorists, and that they had already shown the mine and started emplacing it, just to make sure it wasn't a couple of guys out at two in the morning, going for a walk through razor wire, perfectly innocent of any criminal activity.

The concrete behind him has a baskeball-sized dark splash on it. I've never seen a big animal killed by a fast bullet before, so I don't know if it was what I think it was, but it looked like it. If so...

Anyway, good shooting, fellas.

Comment

200 meters is "Through the eye" range.

Comment

Hathcock and Burke diod engage an entire company in I beleive what they called Elephant valley. From the accounts Ive heard , both of them shot, but mostly at ddifferent times.
                  When in doubt empty the magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by thegentleman
                    Hathcock and Burke diod engage an entire company in I beleive what they called Elephant valley. From the accounts Ive heard , both of them shot, but mostly at ddifferent times.
                    Firing in unison is fairly common. It just depends on the tactical situation.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      Firing in unison is fairly common. It just depends on the tactical situation.
                      Firing in unison would seem to make it more difficult to figure out where you were firing from.
                      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                      X