Petty Thieving by Pak PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petty Thieving by Pak PM

Monday, April 24, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Aziz kept 40 gifts as finance minister

By Maryam Hussain

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz accepted 40 gifts ‘free of cost’ including golden sheets, mobile sets, a Sony camera, embroidered gowns, wris****ches, rugs, carpets and DVD-MP3 players as finance minister of Pakistan during 2004.

The information has been given in an official report of the Cabinet Division sent to the parliament, giving details of gifts Aziz received in his capacity as finance minister.

Aziz also kept very small gifts valuing as low as Rs 450. Officials who receive gifts abroad often surrender them to the Tosha Khana of the Cabinet Division for auction to generate funds to buy gifts for foreign dignitaries.

Aziz retained all 40 gifts he received, which were all valued at less than Rs 50,000.

The government allows cabinet ministers to take home an official gift free of cost as long as it is valued at Rs 50,000 or less. They are required to pay 15 percent of the cost of any gift exceeding the limit.

The limit set for the prime minister is much higher at Rs 400,000 and he too has to pay 15 percent of the cost of any gift exceeding the limit.

Aziz retained decoration pieces, carpets, a dagger, a cigar box, a Samsung wris****ch, a ballpoint, a porcelain decoration, a saree, carpets, a silver vase, a decoration box, a mirror, a shirt, a waterman pen, a stone sculpture, four sets of bed sheets, a mobile set worth Rs 44,000, a carpet, cufflinks with tie pin, a silver picture, a tea set, a gown, a golden sheet, a tie, a decoration plate, a three-piece tea set, a radio and an audio recorder.
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...4-4-2006_pg7_5
    Petty thievery!

How neatly the prices are manipulated!

Lahori will now add to his inexhaustible list of corrupt Pakistani "bananas" (a cute term of Asim's, meaning head honchos)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

The information has been given in an official report of the Cabinet Division sent to the parliament, giving details of gifts Aziz received in his capacity as finance minister.
    Hmmm I've got faith in this guy man! Like to know who sent that report. First guess? More of our MMA Braathers and Seesters.

Comment

Doesn't matter to me what he did or didn't keep, he's given more to the country during last six years than any other government.
      Nobody's perfect.

Comment

That's neat.

Corruption is OK, if you are a nice guy.

BB and NS were also nice people;)

What's the stuff you got about Accountability?

This does not come under that?

Also, then why are they after Gen Durraini. He also has done hell of alot for Paksitan!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Hmmm I seriously doubt the validity of the report since its source has not really been mentioned in the article, nor the fact that its conclusions were accepted either.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
            Hmmm I seriously doubt the validity of the report since its source has not really been mentioned in the article, nor the fact that its conclusions were accepted either.
            thats probably what the Pakistani justice system is saying aswell, instead of actually investigating the damn allegations...
            Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
            -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

‘PM broke no rules on gifts’

LAHORE: The Cabinet Division has sought to remove the erroneous impression that Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz had retained several gifts during his tenure as finance minister in violation of prescribed procedures.

“It may be clarified that the prevailing procedure for receipt and disposal of gifts is prescribed through government rules and regulations issued by the Cabinet Division. These permit gifts of the value of less than Rs 10,000 only to be retained by a recipient. Gifts having value of more than Rs 10,000 but less than Rs 400,000 can be retained on payment of 15 percent of the value exceeding Rs 10,000.”

“The Cabinet Division has checked the entire record of the period concerned and found that not only did Mr Shaukat Aziz, in his capacity as finance minister, regularly and meticulously report to the Cabinet Division all gifts received by him from foreign governments/dignitaries but scrupulously adhered to the procedures prescribed for retention of such gifts. There is not a single instance of any relaxation from prevailing procedures in any of the retained gifts. Consequently all gifts retained by him were totally within the framework of relevant rules.” PR
              http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...5-4-2006_pg7_6
              Anyone would pay 15% to retain gifts which they have received on behalf of the govt of Pakistan. No one or a country being visited gives gifts on a personal level.

Pakistan is indeed very generous in their financial limits to receive gifts!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
              X