Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter: Reagan no longer able to communicate

Daughter: Reagan no longer able to communicate

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Ronald Reagan's daughter Patti Davis wants people to have a clear understanding of what Alzheimer's disease has done to the 92-year-old former president.

Davis wrote in an essay for the Dec. 15 edition of People magazine that she is often asked how her father is doing and whether he recognizes her.

"It makes me realize that my mother and I have been so protective of his condition since he became ill -- almost a decade now -- that it has allowed people to imagine he is still talking, still walking, still able to stumble into a moment of clarity. But it would be a disservice to every family who has an Alzheimer's victim in their embrace to say any of that is true, and I don't believe my father would want us to lie," she wrote.

Asked about the former president's condition Thursday, Reagan chief of staff Joanne Drake told The Associated Press: "He's the same. Nothing has changed. He's comfortable at home."

Former first lady Nancy Reagan indicated the extent of the disease's impact during a CBS "60 Minutes II" interview last year.

"The golden years are when you can sit back, hopefully, and exchange memories, and that's the worst part about this disease: there's nobody to exchange memories with ... and we had a lot of memories," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

My love to him and his family. <3
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Real bummer.

:cry :O
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
      X