Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopes of 'ancient life' under cap dashed

Wed Apr 19, 1:06 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Rivers as big as the Thames in England that may connect sub-glacial lakes have been found deep under the Antarctic ice, scientists said on Wednesday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

British researchers who discovered the plumbing system that moves water hundreds of miles said it challenges the notion that the lakes under the Antarctic ice evolved independently and could support ancient life.

"Previously, it was thought water moves underneath the ice by very slow seepage," said Professor Duncan Wingham of University College London (UCL) who headed the research team.

"But this new data shows that, every so often, the lakes beneath the ice pop off like champagne corks, releasing floods that travel very long distances."

Scientists had plans to drill through the ice to take samples from the lakes but were worried about contaminating them with new microbes.

"We had thought of these lakes as isolated biological laboratories. Now we are going to have to think again," Wingham added in a statement.

The research, which is reported in the journal Nature, also means that water from the Antarctic lakes, which were first discovered in the 1960s, could have flowed into the ocean in the past and that it could happen again.

About 150 sub glacial lakes have been discovered in Antarctica but researchers believe there could be thousands. Lake Vostok, at 15-20 million years old, is thought to be the most ancient.

Scientists from UCL and the Natural Environment Research Council Center for Polar Observation and Modeling found the rivers by examining changes in measurements taken by the European Space Agency ERS-2 satellite of a region in East Antarctica known as the Dome Concordia.

They suspect the changes in the ice sheet show a flow of water from one sub-glacial lake to others.

"The lakes are like a set of beads on a string, where the lakes are the beads connected by a string or river of water," said Wingham.

The scientists believe when the pressure in one of the lakes increases, a flood fills the next bead down the string. But they do not know whether the flow of water which melts ice causes a chain reaction down the string.

Hmm.. fascinating! :-\
    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

nazi submariners know all about antarctic ice, rivers..ect. better than anyone.
      a lot of interesting stuff they found under the ice.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

yups fascinating indeed, India is setting up a base in antartica outside the aussie base that exists, to find out how it relates to "godavari", traces there.

Comment

One of the guys on my board is down in Antarctica right now.

Better him than me i says.

LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
            One of the guys on my board is down in Antarctica right now.

Better him than me i says.

LOL...
            It's almost mid-summer there now.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I forget the name given, but it is known as Admiral (somebodys') Map, which has been claimed to be one of the oldest maps in existance. It shows the land at the South pole, and it was drawn centuries before records show man getting there. A mystery. Anyone remember the name?
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                I forget the name given, but it is known as Admiral (somebodys') Map, which has been claimed to be one of the oldest maps in existance. It shows the land at the South pole, and it was drawn centuries before records show man getting there. A mystery. Anyone remember the name?
                it,s Peri Reis map was made in 1513, he took data from older sources some are thousands years old, shows antarctica whitout ice.
                Attached Files
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                  it,s Peri Reis map was made in 1513, he took data from older sources some are thousands years old, shows antarctica whitout ice.
                  Well done, Omon. Thats the one! I have read that some scholars have even suggested links dating back to the Great Library of Alexandria.
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

i heard that it dates back to atlantis, which is probably b.s. but considering fact that last time antarctica was without ice (according to different sources) 6000- 12000 years ago, makes one wonder.

Comment

Imagine how deep the actual earth is in that mass of ice, we have seen down crevaces (sp?) that are miles deep and still not seen land! Imagine what is burried in that soil all those miles deep!

Comment

Working...
                      X