X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Cool Traffic Signal Gadget

No green light for driver with traffic signal gadget
    'That thing paid for itself'

LONGMONT, Colorado (AP) -- A man who said he bought a device that allowed him to change stop lights from red to green received a $50 ticket for suspicion of interfering with a traffic signal.

Jason Niccum of Longmont, Colorado, said the device, which he bought on eBay for $100, helped him cut his time driving to work.

"I guess in the two years I had it, that thing paid for itself," he told the Daily Times-Call on Wednesday.

Niccum was issued a citation March 29 after police said they found him using a strobe-like device to change traffic signals. Police confiscated the device.

"I'm always running late," police quoted Niccum as saying in an incident report.

The device, called an Opticon, is similar to what firefighters use to change lights when they respond to emergencies. It emits an infrared pulse that receivers on the traffic lights pick up.

Niccum was cited after city traffic engineers who noticed repeated traffic light disruptions at certain intersections spotted a white Ford pickup passing by whenever the patterns were disrupted.

City traffic engineer Joe Olson said engineers plan to update the city's Opticon system this year to block unauthorized light-changing signals.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/18/tra....ap/index.html
    I really need one of these. :)
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
    I really need one of these. :)
    Oh, sure you do. So does the guy in your cross-traffic at the same intersection. Hmmm. Both lights turning green, Insurance rates go up, funeral home gets more business.

Just great.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Here all the cop cars and fire vehicles including the personel vehicles of the firefighters and EMTs have them (we have all volunteer fire departments on Long Island).

Comment

Working...
      X