Profanity Censorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profanity Censorship

I can understand the need to censor some profane words in this forum. But when one of the posters tried to describe a certain type of crocodile (Japanese Army thread) that lives in or around Salt Water in a single word (which it really is) instead of two words, the censor bleeped out the middle four letters. Only a single minded computer would have singled out those letters and construed them to mean a colloquilism for a part of female anatomy.

Even President Truman said that a little profanity is needed once in a while but to cut up words to make unintended profane expressions is carrying it a little too far.

So, I don't know who the computer whizzes are out there that control the software for this forum, but I suggest you take a look at that ridiculous assessement.

Oh dear. I wonder if the first three letters of the last word in the above paragraph might be considered to mean something other than a donkey type of animal.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Ah but there are so many descriptives that don't trigger the auto-censor.
    Pox-ridden son of a two bit frozen urine licker for instance.
    Mealy-mouthed, asinine, scabrous toad-whelp for another.
    Come on Rusty, surely a sailor of your experience can bring a few well chosen deletive-expletives forth with sufficent thought?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Thou goatish gaumless gripulous gormless grobian! T'were it in my power I wouldst griffade and gorgonize thee! Thy galimatias gabble is but gangue, lacking all gold! Begone!

well, that worked OK.
      sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
        So, I don't know who the computer whizzes are out there that control the software for this forum, but I suggest you take a look at that ridiculous assessement.
        Sadly, computers are not currently able to detect intent, just the series of variables programed into them. Personally I always get a chuckle out of the things the program chooses to delete. :)
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Oh dear. I wonder if the first three letters of the last word in the above paragraph might be considered to mean something other than a donkey type of animal.
          Calling someone an ass on the WAB I think is ok. ;)

My favorite is still when I was trying to refer to a certain type of wine (Char Don Ay) a few months back and instead got C******ay. :) I just hate it when I am trying to enjoy a nice glass of wine and one of those show up in the middle of it.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

S h o o t e r is always censored too.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
              S h o o t e r is always censored too.
              You mean you can't write about Owls?

Comment

This subject has been brought up before and AFAIK the best thing to do is simply submit the not-quite-offensive words for exception.
                I've brought it to the attention of the Admins, so we should see some changes made in the future.

I believe a couple have been fixed already, including shooter and shooters.

C******nay and sal****er are obviously still a problem.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Shooter.

Wow.....i'll be damned, it works. That only took oh, 3 years?

LOL.

Here's another gem:

SALT WATER crocodile.

Observe:

Sal****er crocodile.

LOL.
                  Last edited by Bill; 18 Apr 06,, 23:53.

Comment

Shooter.

Wow.....i'll be damned, it works. That only took oh, 3 years?

LOL.

Here's another gem:

SALT WATER crocodile.

Observe:

Sal****er crocodile.

LOL.
                    It's the crocodile thing that got me going on this thread. It was in a posting about British soldiers trying to chase Japanese soldiers through swamps infested with sal****er crocodiles. Ooops, I meant brinewater crocodiles.

Comment

SALT WATER crocodile.
                      I'm going to pronounce it that way from now on. See if anyone notices. ;)
                      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Testing:

Assassin

Added Later:

It worked even though there are two ass.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                        X