PDA

View Full Version : Profanity Censorship

RustyBattleship
18 Apr 06,, 05:48
I can understand the need to censor some profane words in this forum. But when one of the posters tried to describe a certain type of crocodile (Japanese Army thread) that lives in or around Salt Water in a single word (which it really is) instead of two words, the censor bleeped out the middle four letters. Only a single minded computer would have singled out those letters and construed them to mean a colloquilism for a part of female anatomy.

Even President Truman said that a little profanity is needed once in a while but to cut up words to make unintended profane expressions is carrying it a little too far.

So, I don't know who the computer whizzes are out there that control the software for this forum, but I suggest you take a look at that ridiculous assessement.

Oh dear. I wonder if the first three letters of the last word in the above paragraph might be considered to mean something other than a donkey type of animal.

Parihaka
18 Apr 06,, 06:30
Ah but there are so many descriptives that don't trigger the auto-censor.
Pox-ridden son of a two bit frozen urine licker for instance.
Mealy-mouthed, asinine, scabrous toad-whelp for another.
Come on Rusty, surely a sailor of your experience can bring a few well chosen deletive-expletives forth with sufficent thought? :biggrin:

2DREZQ
18 Apr 06,, 06:38
Thou goatish gaumless gripulous gormless grobian! T'were it in my power I wouldst griffade and gorgonize thee! Thy galimatias gabble is but gangue, lacking all gold! Begone!

well, that worked OK.

Confed999
18 Apr 06,, 07:00
So, I don't know who the computer whizzes are out there that control the software for this forum, but I suggest you take a look at that ridiculous assessement.
Sadly, computers are not currently able to detect intent, just the series of variables programed into them. Personally I always get a chuckle out of the things the program chooses to delete. :)

THL
18 Apr 06,, 13:45
Oh dear. I wonder if the first three letters of the last word in the above paragraph might be considered to mean something other than a donkey type of animal.
Calling someone an ass on the WAB I think is ok. ;)

My favorite is still when I was trying to refer to a certain type of wine (Char Don Ay) a few months back and instead got C******ay. :) I just hate it when I am trying to enjoy a nice glass of wine and one of those show up in the middle of it. :rolleyes:

Bill
18 Apr 06,, 14:45
S h o o t e r is always censored too.

RustyBattleship
18 Apr 06,, 21:55
S h o o t e r is always censored too.
You mean you can't write about Owls?

TopHatter
18 Apr 06,, 23:06

This subject has been brought up before and AFAIK the best thing to do is simply submit the not-quite-offensive words for exception.
I've brought it to the attention of the Admins, so we should see some changes made in the future.

I believe a couple have been fixed already, including shooter and shooters.

C******nay and sal****er are obviously still a problem.

Bill
19 Apr 06,, 00:50
Shooter.

Wow.....i'll be damned, it works. That only took oh, 3 years?

LOL.

Here's another gem:

SALT WATER crocodile.

Observe:

Sal****er crocodile.

LOL.

RustyBattleship
19 Apr 06,, 01:50
Shooter.

Wow.....i'll be damned, it works. That only took oh, 3 years?

LOL.

Here's another gem:

SALT WATER crocodile.

Observe:

Sal****er crocodile.

LOL.

It's the crocodile thing that got me going on this thread. It was in a posting about British soldiers trying to chase Japanese soldiers through swamps infested with sal****er crocodiles. Ooops, I meant brinewater crocodiles.

Confed999
19 Apr 06,, 05:20
SALT WATER crocodile.
I'm going to pronounce it that way from now on. See if anyone notices. ;)

Ray
19 Apr 06,, 07:56
Testing:

Assassin

Added Later:

It worked even though there are two ass.